Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Split Second 1992 sci-fi with Rutger Hauer

The movie shouldn't work, the mystery is really meh and the killer looks absolutely terrible. At no point did I feel compelled to follow along with the plot or feel like anything matters. The setting being global-warming ruined London is a cool idea, with almost all the sets being knee-high in water is also cool but aside from window dressing nothing really gets done with it. It feels like it wants to be a horror-thriller, but then everyone plays their characters so seriously while saying the most ludicrous poo poo that it loops around into a edgy funny buddy-cop comedy instead. It feels like a parody at times. Rutger Hauer being the edgiest of cops out for revenge while delivering lines like "Lucifer is in some deep poo poo now." while binging cigars and chocolates is just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Smithereens (1982) - Not really my type of movie, felt like it stretched itself very thin at times. But it was an interesting look at 80s NY, narcisstic people and just how loving sexy Richard Hell was in those days.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Shrimp, short film directed by Zelda Williams. Though its more of a pilot for a TV show it feels like. The characters seem down to earth and interesting, obviously a little too short to sink your teeth into but a fun little watch. Reminded me of the stories my friends, who work in the BDSM clubs and events, tell me.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Poor Things - Been a while since I enjoyed a movie like this. Just sucked me right in from start to finish.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Ex Drummer - Movie about vile losers getting together to form a punk band so they can enter a competition. Definitely one of the darkest, most nihilistic movies I've seen in a while. Every character is some kind of terrible human being, ranging from negligent junkie to neo-nazi mysogist, and they all do terrible poo poo to each other. The soundtrack is loving awesome, though. It was a good watch and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

i watched berserk last year and really liked it. i've heard that neon genesis evangelion is another all time great anime series, but i started watching it on netflix and it feels like a weird melodramatic horny slog lol.

i was told there would be deep existential philosophical themes but i just got some whiney little kid catching glimpses of some lady's boobs right out of the shower or whatever. i could be persuaded to keep going but i don't have hope.

The thing with Eva is that all the philosophical and deeper poo poo starts happening around the halfway point of the series. Before that there are tiny glimpses of it, but nothing more.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

it feels like 96% of all anime deals with high school kids realizing being a human being is weird. why? i don't understand the obsession

Because at the end of the day, the target demographic for most anime are (high school) kids and this stuff has a higher chance of appealing to them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Just saw Kuso. I wish I could unsee Kuso.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Out!(2023): Decent adaption of a deliquent manga that unfortunately does suffer from the usual manga-adapted-to-the-big-screen problems. Feels way too long, a lot of time is spent on characters just standing and talking and not doing much. But when they're not doing that, the movie has a nice flow to it. The characters and actors are charming and have very good chemistry, the action scenes are messy and chaotic but not so much that you don't know what's happening. Also the actor playing Tanzawa Atsushi nails his personality of being a fun little goofball and a violence obsessed psycho. Also some of the dialogue is hilariously stupid.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Watching Happiness and Kids back-to-back in a pain marathon