Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Keoma
This spaghetti western is absolutely excellent - except for one incredibly frustrating element that drat near ruins everything else it has going for it.

The goddamn music.

https://youtu.be/jXrqtrsXPFk

What the gently caress were they thinking? Off-key sing-song lyrics that just describe the scene we’re already watching with insane attempts at falsetto and harmonizing that just do not work at all, and what’s even worse is that it often plays over the best visuals in the movie. Never have I wanted to mute a movie more often. Did Franco Nero himself sing the male parts? It’s absolutely atrocious. What I would give for some standard Morricone twangs and whistles or even just a stock orchestral score.

That said, it’s one of the most visually interesting spaghetti westerns I’ve seen, the cast is pretty much all great, and Nero in particular is doing some amazing work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Seven to One (1973)

This is a pretty decent Taiwanese martial arts flick, recently put out in really satisfyingly crunchy 70s quality by AGFA, but the standout part of it is really the extensive use of Hocus Pocus by Focus basically as a recurring theme for the main characters, a couple tiny snippets of Jimi tracks, and a tense little foot chase that uses Pink Floyd’s On the Run multiple times, complete with that iconic maniacal laugh. Given the budget for this thing, I’m assuming the music use was probably unauthorized but it’s actually used really well to pep up stuff that might otherwise be a bit dull.

Worth checking out if you’re into that kind of thing.

https://youtu.be/QdBikCYNeHw?t=2m12s

Starts at 2:12 if that link doesn’t work.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 5, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Both of the spoilered rule things in your post are among the dumbest rule restrictions in the game too, so gently caress that complaint

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Prince of the Sun (1990)
At one point in this movie a grown man proudly tells a little kid (who’s also the reincarnation of the Living Buddha) that he completely poo poo his pants, and then they break into the apartment of a lady gambler who just got fired from her school because she was literally throwing kindergartners around for insulting her. Later, they team up with Cynthia Rothrock and fight Emperor Palpatine after he transforms into a man-bat.

This movie is incredible. Please seek it out.

https://youtu.be/US4tNR7FrZs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Pretty good! Not a masterpiece by any means, but really fun to see in a theater with your party, if possible. My only complaints are that it’s a little long and Michelle Rodriguez is generally kinda bad, but she did nail a couple of deadpan moments and never really detracts from the movie as a whole.

I did appreciate that two crucial moments in combat came down to magic users losing concentration. Shoulda taken War Caster!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dead Ringers (1988)
I’ve still got some big gaps in my Cronenberg watchlist (mostly later stuff like History of Violence, Crimes of the Future, Crash, etc), but of all the ones I’ve seen so far this one may end up being an unexpected stealth Top 3. Need to let it sit in my brain for a few more days, but I kinda loved it. Jeremy Irons is great as the twins and the light-for-Cronenberg visceral horror is used really effectively for how sparse it is in the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Future Cops (1993)
Not Vega, Not Dhalsim, and Not Guile travel 50 years back in time to 1993 to change the life of (or maybe protect? I think?) a high school kid who’ll grow up to be a judge. Meanwhile, Not Ken and Not E. Honda are working for Not M. Bison and also go back in time to find the same would-be judge and stop the first trio from helping him. At one point two people get sucked into a bizarre bootleg version of Super Mario World.

The final fight features all of the above, plus the judge’s sister (and their mom) as Not Chun-Li(s) and Richard Ng as the funniest possible way you could do Not Blanka and also the judge becomes Not Goku.

Here’s a trailer, but be warned that it does give away basically the entire movie. I have no idea how they got away with any of this but it’s an extremely hilarious and fun flick. Watch it with some buds.

https://youtu.be/BmHT-MtZs74

Body Snatchers (1993)
I don’t have much to say about this except it’s a surprisingly solid remake with good effects.

What a piece of poo poo.

The first movie trafficked in white savior and noble savage bullshit, but this one feels somehow even more racist given that the sea people literally have Māori style tattoos and do haka tongue stuff at one point. Genuinely surprised that I didn’t hear much of this criticism when the movie first came out, but maybe I just wasn’t paying enough attention.

It’s too long and the story is dull, they spend all three hours learning how to dive and swim and then spend the last 20 minutes… forgetting how to dive and swim. They kill off one of the two kids that they didn’t bother giving any character or personality and then somehow expect you to give a poo poo when it happens. Sigourney Weaver voicing a teenager is laughable and never once believable. Bro, Encino Man Spider is maybe the worst character in either film BRO.

At least the crab suits looked cool.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Pulse (2001)
A friend recommended this one because I’m a big fan of the original Ring. Similar slow creeping dread vibe, though it has more of a philosophical take on loneliness and technology than anything equivalent in Ring. No cheap jump scares or anything, but a handful of really effective moments of unsettling imagery. Not afraid to linger on the horror of the shot in those moments either, which is nice. Looks great and depressing, and the more I let it marinate post-watch the more I dig it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Royal Warriors (1986)

This movie is bugnuts and I loved it. Strong chaotic Righting Wrongs energy that embraces the best kind of 80s action movie lunacy. 96 minutes of Michelle Yeoh and a babyfaced Hiroyuki Sanada just sprinting from one setpiece to another.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

checkplease posted:

Joint Security Area the investigator angle is kind of boring and her development is kind of just there, but all north and South Korean border guards bonding over how meaningless they are in the face of a war is great stuff. It starts off kind of rashoman but quickly just shows us all the true friendship stuff. The ending makes sense but is kind of clunky in execution.

Oh and there’s a great fart joke.

Watched this last week and almost posted about it. Agreed on all of the above, the friendships are the best part of the movie and that fart joke really is great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Famethrowa posted:

asteroid city put me in a good mood for the entire weekend. been a while since I've been in such a good theatre crowd, every little sight gag and joke got chuckles from almost everyone. really made a nice compliment to the themes of the movie.

just ear to ear smiles. so good.

:agreed: with all of this, we had a ton of fun seeing it last week. See it in theaters if possible, it looks gorgeous!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Hunt for Red October (1990)
After rewatching all the Indiana Jones movies last week, I’ve decided I want to watch the Harrison Ford Clancy movies from the 90s. However, I wasn’t aware they were direct sequels to Red October until today, so I popped it on tonight. Because it’s been airing on cable constantly for basically 20 years, I’d seen bits and pieces of it but never sat down to watch it all at once, uninterrupted.

It’s great! I love me some naval warfare flicks and this has to be among the best. Everyone’s good in it, but special shout-outs to Sam Neill, Scott Glenn’s sub Captain, and Courtney B. Vance as his sonar officer.

It does have Jeffrey Jones unfortunately, but to be fair he was basically inescapable in the 90s.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Conversation (1974)
Goddamn, what a movie. I love 70s thrillers, but I wasn’t super into it until something happened around the time of the convention and ensuing party scenes and then it just completely clicked for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Barbie
I went into this one skeptical but it was honestly kind of a blast and extremely funny. Robbie is good but Gosling completely steals the show.

Oppenheimer
Yeah, we did the meme thing, but this was also extremely good (if maybe a bit long). Obviously not as fun as Barbie, but very well crafted and the lead-up to the actual test is some of the most anxiety-inducing stuff Nolan’s done. Infinitely better than Tenet.

It also tickles a particular part of my brain to see physicists I constantly read about as a kid as characters in a massive summer blockbuster.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well, this was our Friday night:

Warning Sign (1985)
Fairly competent viral outbreak movie but nothing much to write home about.

Swamp Thing (1982)
oh my god why would you ever decide to shoot that costume in full daylight

RIP Bruno aka that guy we recognized from Darkman

Hard Boiled (1992)
Righting Wrongs has been my gold standard for Hong Kong action for a while now. I knew this one would give it a run for it’s money based on reputation alone and goddrat did it deliver.

No notes. A+, 10/10, will absolutely rewatch again and again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
This is 80% of a solid kinda-fun Friday flick until the last 20% kicks in and it becomes an absolutely bizarre Evil Dead tie-in (?!?) and Jason gets abducted or something. I’m still not quite sure how a magic dagger became part of the Jason lore but uhhhh

Jason X
oh my god it looks like an even lower budget 90s Outer Limits episode what the hell is this poo poo

The Flight of The Phoenix (1965)
I’d seen the Dennis Quaid remake when I was a teen and enjoyed it, but I’d never seen the original. Really solid all around, especially if you like Jimmy Stewart, really makes me wish I’d watched this with my grandpa back in the day. That man adored Jimmy Stewart.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did the video store mix up the third tape?

I’ve got a very broad movie collection :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ShoogaSlim posted:

the main "big bad" of the movie is a little wuss who gets upset that mandy doesn't like his dumb music and who offers to suck nic cage's dick at the end of the movie. the only thing he kinda maybe has going for him is that he has followers who will do anything for him, but when he's such a little whiny baby it makes those people less menacing, too.

the coolest characters in the movie are the black leather clad subhuman weirdos. i wish the movie were just about them and that there was no nic cage screaming "you ripped mah fav'rit shirt!"

ultimately what makes this movie so terrible in my eyes is that it can't tell whether it wants to be hyper serious or a cheesy campfest. it tries to be both and succeeds at neither.

It’s a man taking on the Manson family while losing his grip on reality through a mix of raw grief and agony and literal psychedelic drugs. Yeah it’s a vibe movie and yeah it’s a slow burn, but it’s also a genuinely great performance from Cage and that slow burn psychedelic prog rock aesthetic very purposely builds toward a very cathartic crescendo.

Genuine condolences if that doesn’t do anything for you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Data Graham posted:

Can I just say a crescendo is not a climax

it means "growing", it is something you put in music wherever you want it to gradually get louder

:goonsay: I know

Both uses are valid, climax is literally the secondary definition.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Data Graham posted:

I hate this :argh: but who am I to argue with Merriam-Webster

Believe me, I was in orchestra for years and I double-checked the definition before posting the original comment.

English is a hosed up and confusing language.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mann is hit or miss for me and Miami Vice was unfortunately one of those misses. I didn’t hate it, but I just felt bored the whole time. I watched it probably two or three years ago and all I remember is the opening and the trip they make to Havana.

I watched Collateral around the same time and I can still easily recall pretty much the whole movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The Keep is probably technically bad but the score rules, the atmosphere is great, and you can kinda see what the end result could have been. I just can’t hate it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Your family sucks op, my condolences

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Been on a 50s sci-fi kick lately

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Definitely not my first time viewing this one, it’s always been a favorite, but I hadn’t seen it in several years. It’s still great! It kills me that there isn’t a 4K release for it.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
This one was a first-time watch and it absolutely rules. I’d honestly say I liked it as much as the 1978 adaptation, but for entirely different reasons.

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) aka The Creeping Unknown
I know the original serial this movie is based on was massively influential on a bunch of stuff, including Doctor Who, but I found this particular adaptation extremely dull. Brian Donlevy feels completely miscast and the plot drags so bad despite how simple it all is. This was a real letdown aside from literally the last line of the movie; the monster inadvertently created by Quatermass’ rocket launch is taken care of, and he starts to walk off into the foggy distance. Someone asks what he’s going to do, and without even looking back Quatermass says “I’m going to start again”. THE END, roll credits. Great line, shame about the other 99% of the runtime.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Boy and The Heron honestly left me really cold and I didn’t connect with it at all, but it’s obviously technically fantastic and fun to look at.

It’s one I’ll probably have to reassess at some point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gaius Marius posted:

Shin Godzilla Confirms my suspicions that Anno is a poor director. What it's going for is cool and interesting, what it actually is a dull 2 hour slog with acting straight out of a direct to TV special.

what the gently caress

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Harakiri (1962)
Holy poo poo, what a movie. I’ve seen dozens of samurai movies over the last decade but somehow this one has instantly shot to the top of my favorites list.

Tatsuya Nakadai is a loving force to be reckoned with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have a weekly movie night with my friends where we each pick one movie, which can often result in bizarre triple features. Case in point:

Zatoichi: Darkness is His Ally (1989)
This was my pick because one of them had recently bought it for me and they’d never seen a Zatoichi movie before. I’ve seen this one and iirc the first 17 of the originals, so this was more about watching their reactions to it. I think they liked it? I’d forgotten that it’s more somber and kind of understated than the majority of the other movies. It holds up for the most part though, especially the last hour.

The Player (1992)
I’m always 50/50 love/hate with Altman and I think maybe this one just didn’t click with me in general. Any scene with Tim Robbins trying to get away with murder or freaking out over blackmail, I loved. Every scene where the movie just stopped dead in its tracks to shove in a cameo, I hated. I get that that’s part of the setting and tone the movie is going for, but it just wasn’t for me. I wanted to like this movie more, and it’s a shame because all the stuff I actually enjoyed was loving great. If it had been just a touch less indulgent it would’ve been perfect (for me anyway).

No Holds Barred (1989)
:sigh:

I don’t even know where to begin with this one. The 80% of the movie where you can just laugh at the racist hot dog man trying to act or Tiny Lister devouring the scenery as an incredible heel is honestly a pretty fun watch. But then the movie will immediately whiplash pivot to Hulk trying to comfort some poor woman after she’s been assaulted by her boss or assaulted in a garage or …assaulted in an elevator and it’s like… what in the gently caress were you thinking, movie?

I’d like to call it a light recommend if only for the incredible montage of Hulk teaching his brother how to walk again, but just watch it on YouTube. Don’t give the movie your money by any means.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 28, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At this point I only have the thread bookmarked so I can read outrageously bad takes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I hated MASH when I watched it, nearly every joke is insanely mean-spirited to a degree that makes it completely unenjoyable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I honestly think The Village works better if you just know the stupid twist going into it.

The Adrien Brody character is still a big ol’ yikes though. :yikes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bogus Adventure posted:

There are two flaws in the film. The first is, quite obviously, why are the aliens invading Random Small Town, USA. You just kind of have to go with it, and it's easy to overlook since the rest of the film is really good.

The feeling I got watching it was that it was actually happening everywhere and you’re just seeing the invasion from a small town POV. IIRC that’s even outright confirmed at the end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, I kinda loved it tbh. IIRC it was in my top 10 for last year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

saladscooper posted:

the parallax view - i feel like 5 to 10 minutes were cut out of the middle of this and i don't know why. pretty cool movie though, love that scene about Happiness (if you've seen it you know the one)

I felt the same way when I watched it. It’s still one of the better 70s conspiracy thrillers, but it feels lacking somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Cade: The tortured crossing (2023)

Neil Breen continues to regress as a filmmaker in basically every single way. There’s an unexplained TikTok dance number that goes on for two minutes in the middle of the movie. The same scenes repeat at least twice. There are slow fades to black in the middle of fight scenes. Neil fights an animorph. Every single shot that isn’t stock footage is green-screen with zero camera movement.

Double Down and Fateful Findings are genuinely interesting attempts at movies by comparison. At least this one didn’t end with a violently libertarian rant but I think it might also be anti-vaxx? Maybe? It’s his most baffling movie because there’s just nothing here.