Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Blindspotting was fuckin great, if it had a better title I would have watched it sooner. Extremely cathartic ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cold war was beautiful. I've never seen a happy Polish movie and this didn't break the streak. Really liked how the narrow aspect ratio let faces completely fill the screen during all the close-ups, and this was the best use of black and white I've seen since the white ribbon. Tons of gorgeous high contrast shots.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wonder woman was really corny and it had dumb politics and the part at the end where she freaks out and tears through a bunch of Germans looked like the wizard of speed and time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the guy Richie King Arthur movie. I've been watching too many superhero movies because this seemed kind of good? At least the action scenes were comprehensible and the soundtrack was memorable, putting it far above 90% of Disney's output. The big elephants were cool too, wish there was more of them

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I seem to remember people saying bumblebee was good but it really wasn't. It was surprising to see a couple people get straight up District 9-style exploded on screen in a PG-13 film

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jose posted:

Venom was probably the best superhero film I've seen

Venom is completely carried by the two main performances and that one engineer at the end

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jose posted:

I agree with this but it was surprisingly enjoyable

Oh don't get me wrong, it's great.

Hell or High Water was an excellent neo western, bunch of great side characters including a truly execrable bank loan officer

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Woman at war was cool. I thought the gimmick was going to annoy me but it ended up being pretty charming. Worth seeing just for the Icelandic scenery.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Aquaman was dumb as dogshit but much like Valerian the ridiculously overproduced sci fi parts were great

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kung Fu hustle. It kicks rear end!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I watched Mandy last night and :stare:

It's real good. Nic cage is so great

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The men who stare at goats was kind of an odd one. I didn't realize how much of the story was contemporary and I don't really go in for that sort of glib white guy adventurism, like loving three kings had a deeper exploration of the trauma visited on iraq by us invasion. Maybe it's impossible to even make three kings in post 9/11 America though

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Booksmart was lovely, I think Olivia Wilde has some decent directing chops. Always good to see a movie where high schoolers swear constantly

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Finally got around to seeing Miami vice and the first sound in the film is the opening bars to Linkin Park x Jay Z numb/encore, a promise that the rest of the movie completely lives up to

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The angry birds movie. They do indeed drink piss. Sony animation does incredible work it's just a shame their scripts suck 90% of the time. Should offer Lord & Miller control over the entire studio.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Alita was cool, good action and I appreciated the full throated sincerity of the whole thing. Didn't think it was going to be so brutal since it's pg13

Avengers endgame was kind of the opposite I guess? Also I thought I had read every crazy thing that happened in that movie but I completely missed the part where they cure aging (and presumably mortality??) and it's just used as a throw away gag lmao. This is the stupidest goddamn group of superheroes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

drat tigers are not afraid was good. Owes a huge debt to Guillermo del Toro, specifically Pan's labyrinth but was enough of its own thing. I imagine it's a really hard watch if you've got kids so be safe out there

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Almost gave up on John wick 3 because there were too many previews/commercials on the Blu-ray but glad I stuck it out because it's good to see the raid guys getting work

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

In Training posted:

Monos was a great movie about the political and psychological limbos of being a child soldier in Colombia with some of the most striking mountain cinematography I've seen in a while in the opening half hour. Parts of it looked like Yellow Earth before conflict starts up and the group shuffled off into the claustrophobic jungle for the rest of the film. Really good performances from the teens too which is a rarity

Looks like that's coming to my city in October, excited to see it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Redline kicks rear end

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

GORDON posted:

Watched John Wick 3 recently. Ever a since figuring out that the henchmen always wear helmets so the same 5 stuntmen can get killed over and over through the movie, it sort of takes me out of the story.

First noticed this in one of the Resident Evil movies. The whole cast of extras is like 8 people in helmets, and they just get killed over and over.

Look John wick 3 isn't a huge studio movie like the raid: redemption, they can't afford to just hire 100 individual stunts people

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Saw The Capsule on criterion channel, a short film that was an art installion originally. Full of surreal imagery and beautiful ultra slow motion, but the soundscapes are the real star

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla King of the monsters was kind of a piece of poo poo and the best part, whenever the Godzilla theme was playing, just made me wish I was watching a different Godzilla movie

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The wicker man (1973) was very cool. Not sure if I was supposed to side with the villagers but that cop was kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Whispering “get his rear end!” when Christopher lee calls him a virgin

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Serenity (2019) was not nearly as wild as I was led to believe

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Italian job (1969), I had seen the mark wahlberg version and I had no idea the original was practically a slapstick comedy. Lot of fun and beautifully shot but that one song can go straight to music hell

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wild at heart. The most sentimental Lynch I've seen so far. Really showed off his mastery of light and darkness with the repeated flame motifs. Can't get enough Nic cage and Laura Dern, definitely got enough Willem Dafoe

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

My neighbor totoro was delightful. Great to see that even 30 years ago studio ghibli was as assiduous with their animation and attention to detail. Things like the cart at the beginning slipping off the road momentarily and satsuki walking around on her knees. Very cozy film.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Aniara is kinda bleak. That last shot is such a gently caress you to the audience, dang

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

6 underground is either completely fascist or brilliant satire and I'm still working out which

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Faces places was really sweet but putting an eye surgery scene and then that scene from un chien andalou right in the middle was a great troll

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Howls moving castle. It didn't even look like a drat castle!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Got the criterion Godzilla anthology for Christmas. So I watched Godzilla vs hedorah for the first time. Didn’t care for the Godzilla suit. Animated interstitials definitely made it feel like a product of its time. The music was at odds with the on screen action. I think the only thing I really enjoyed was the gnarly implications of hedorah just killing swathes of people. The aftermaths of it just flying by and leaving skeletons in its wake. Pretty at odds with the rest of the movie like the child protagonist and Godzilla using atomic breath to fly around

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Underwater was sick, it stomps the gas pedal and doesn't let off. Kind of refreshing even in these days of horror resurgence

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Color out of space was a lot grodier than I expected, a fun time. Nic cage was doing a trump impression for some reason. Colin Stetson soundtrack was legit

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lost highway. Really good and spooky. Love a lynch

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Can't believe how hot Patricia arquette is

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Did your kids enjoy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cats was everything people said about it. Saw it at a sing along showing with a costume contest and free cat ears for everyone and glow sticks etc. which isn’t the kind of thing I normally go in for but it hasn’t been ritualized to death yet so it was a good time