Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Watched Spiderhead on Netflix. Sort of felt like a low budget The Island but with even less to say about much of anything. The motivation behind the villain could be unraveled by a 7th grade book report on mortality. Like super basic poo poo and it’s incredible this was made into a movie as is.

Absolute horse poo poo. Chris hemsworth sure is pretty, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Cop Land
HBO Max

Stallone plays opposite of what you’d expect and instead is a introspective loner who does more listening than talking. The cast is loaded and nearly every single person got a ‘holy poo poo it’s what’s his face!’ out of me.

Halfway through there’s a moment where I thought it was gonna be some typical ‘good guy eventually gets the girl’ momentum but it goes hard in a different direction and is very satisfying. The ending is a complete rush job though, complete with unnecessary voice over work.

All said it’s a good movie with an incredible cast.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Blackberry was a fun, if somewhat odd movie. It follows the regular beats you’d expect, except it never dips into anyone’s life outside of work. Are any of these people married, or have any relationships outside of their job? Who cares! This is about the blackberry god dammit!

I’ll have to look it up but I find it hard to believe they never used China to build any devices before the Storm, that just seems impossible.

Glenn howardron was great, and Jay is always good. Would recommend.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Sought out To Live and Die in L.A. due to all the William Friedkin chat. There are so many cliche's it's impressive. I'm sure this movie probably established some of them, but it's hilarious seeing them now. The biggest I remember at the moment:

"I'm getting too old for this poo poo"
Cop gets killed two days before retirement

The music in this movie so horrendously bad it feels like an SNL parody reel, but it's all played 100% straight and hilarious.

John Pankow is an awful actor, which is a bad thing when he's like the second lead of the film. Dafoe is easily the best of everyone and elevates every scene.

Every single cop in this movie is absolutely awful at their job, especially the main guy. It also felt like nearly every scene was ADR, specifically every word Dean Stockwell says.

The movie is overall gorgeous though and has some great sequences with lovely 70's/80's cars racing through traffic. Overall I was hoping for more detailed counterfeiting scenes but the stuff in the beginning was real good.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Eyes Wide Shut

It’s been maybe 7 years since I’ve seen this film. Decided to give it another go after it popped up on The Rewatchables podcast.

Tom Cruise gets so much mileage out of smiling and laughing in women’s faces. I can’t imagine what its like to be that good looking, but god drat it must be fun.

I don’t really buy Bill going so far off the deep end upon learning his wife, gasp, had a horny dream. But then again earlier in the film he’s incapable of admitting he thinks Alice could ever cheat on him because ‘he’s confident of her’. So I guess if you were at that level of narcissism it would maybe break your psyche. But like, he decides to just walk into a street walkers apartment and almost gently caress her was wild. I suspect that was necessary for the film to show just how close Bill had been flirting with death when you find out later what happened to Domino.

The costume party is great, and I think I believe Victor regarding the sacrifice being a silly game because otherwise A. How did that women know who he was and that he didn’t belong there, and B. Why would she sacrifice herself for him?

Who was the couple on the second level of the party that nodded at Bill while he was in costume? Had that been enough time for the doorman to discover his rental receipts with real name, and then socialize that info around? I suppose, but then why nod at him at all without giving him advice to gtfo?

I guess the ultimate question is was this Bill dreaming? Every women Bill even comes into contact with is beautiful, and they all are ready to drop everything and gently caress him at a moments notice. Or is that just Bill’s life?

They mention this in the podcast, Nicole Kidman really is almost an alien in this film. She’s just loving stunning. And Kubrick ruins their relationship irl to make the movie lol

Sydney Pollack is amazing, and for some reason I could just watch him talk down to Cruise in his giant game room for hours.

A++ would watch again.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

null_pointer posted:

I'm sorry? Can you summarize this because I thought Cruise's marriages were always doomed from the beginning, due to Cruise being Cruise.

It’s not like Tom or Nicole will admit this, but I’m sure Kubrick banning Tom from the set when his wife was filming sex scenes while Kubrick makes everyone do 100 takes didn’t help their relationship lol.

The only thing Tom Cruise will say of making the film was playing Bill was very ‘unpleasant’.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's tabloid bs

That’s all we have confirming it was Scientology pushing Kidman out because she only had one foot in, but yeah that probably had more to do with it. But the year long shooting schedule of Tom thinking about his wife getting gangbanged while loving it may have also affected his psyche :pcgaming:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mega Comrade posted:

When I worked at blockbusters a mum rented Dreamer for her daughter and friends. A U rated film about a girl who saves a horse.

I accidentally put 'The Dreamers ' in the box. An 18 rated film about teenagers exploring their sexuality in Paris.

lol did you ever hear the results of her discovery?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I saw War of the Worlds in the theater when it first came out and completely forgot I had done so a week later. It was just so underwhelming.

The alien sound trumpets were worth admission alone.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah the floating midair psychic brain fight wasn’t quite as captivating as principal actors kicking the poo poo out of each other after practicing with Hong Kong stunt pros for 6 months.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Watched The Covenant, really cool to see a story about middle eastern interpreters during the “war on terror”, and apparently it’s maybe true?

As a straight man I’d I’ll kiss Jake Gillenhall on the lips.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Don’t forget Rob Riggles constant bullying leading to the desk pop lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Watched Prometheus and Alien: Covenant last weekend as I wanted to keep the vibe going. There’s a lot of holes to poke in Prometheus but it’s still a great ride with some amazing scenery, not to mention a great depiction of meeting your maker. eat poo poo I don’t care about you

Covenant has all the similar holes, and more, but with a cast that has zero chemistry.

I really disliked David’s tunnel house, which is poorly filmed. You never get a sense of how big it is, there’s never a corridor connecting any rooms…like there were only two sets inside and they kept reusing them or something? Felt like a small movie problem in a giant studio movie which is bizarre.

I loved all of the implications of the updated David model, how man actually made something too close to real and it made people uncomfortable, resulting in a new dumbed down version.

The ending outside of the reveal, which everyone knows is going to happen didn’t do anything for me. Why would David want to go to the new world they’d mapped out? Why not swing back to earth to kill create? He’s already created these hybrid xenomorphs, does he want to keep morphing them until the aliens can say yes daddy?

Anyway. Really wanted to like it, but it treads too close to the last movie while doing everything worse.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Strays
A very rated R comedy with almost nothing but real dogs on screen. Much too long and could have used more Will Forte. I would have liked seeing him actually communicate with the animals like some sort of animal hating ace Ventura. It got a few good laughs out of me, but should have been a 10 minute mini episode / YouTube series.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Honestly vampires biting into the neck makes no sense unless they have tooth straws. Otherwise they’re just making a suction with their mouth and wasting like 99% of their meal as it shoots all over the place.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Professor Shark posted:

Im watching Mars Attacks for the first time. I did t realize it was an ensemble film. How did this thing ever get made?

I think the vfx success of the Mask enabled all sorts of stupid poo poo to be green lit. CGI was just new and cool looking enough to blend with big stars as long as they didn’t move much.

It’s an awful movie.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’ve been listening to a podcast that’s basically rob reiner explaining how the cia, Cubans and the mob all ended up killing jfk, so I decided to revisit JFK.

Can’t stand Costner’s accent but beyond that what really struck me is there is so much evidence that contradicts the official story not all of it even made it into the movie!

I thought the narrative itself was made up though and Costners character was fictional, but Garrison was real and that trial actually happened :wtc:

There’s so much to cover the movie does suffer, and the courtroom scene isn’t as great as I remembered it being as a kid. By the end I forgot why Shaw was even on trial because the entire presentation is about events that didn’t involve Shaw directly.

Funny to see aunt Jackie and Newman on the DA’s team. Also took me a while to figure out where Gary oldman was cause he looks exactly like Oswald.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s not that big of a deal you fuckin weirdos.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I liked the silent auction where pervert billionaires bid on 16 yr olds with wiimote nunchucks.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I wonder how many conservative weirdos obsessed with the Sound of Freedom got their start with taken lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Not the first time, but the first time in a long time - The Village! People shat on this movie after it's release, but they were fools and charlatans. A solid thriller with a stacked cast and same gold performances. What's not to like?

It’s an incredibly well made movie with fantastic performances from a loaded cast. Haters are dumb babbies who think saying m. Nights name wrong is poignant film criticism.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Data Graham posted:

Starship Troopers - lol I forgot they took a potshot at Mormons in this

It’s so god damned funny! I keep thinking the South Park guys were involved cause they love the church.

Joe Smith :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Watching The Score with deniro and ed Norton. Can’t believe this dude did another handiman performance after Primal Fear. Movie has a crazy good cast. The opening sequence is as good as Thief’s imo.