Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

A Haunting in Venice : Yet another Hercule Poirot movie starring Kenneth Branaugh as the supposedly Belgian detective who works through things with Facts and Logic. An interesting take on the Skeptics vs Believers with the formerly retired Poirot coming out of retirement for One Last Job debunking a medium at a séance. A game cast, including a shockingly good Tina Fey, underused but skilled Jamie Dornan and the always excellent Michelle Yeoh. Visually, a fairly simple affair, Branaugh (who directed and starred in this one as well as the last two recent Poirot movies A Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express) keeps things moving and has the light touch of an early Hitchcock. Not the world's best movie but a real solid version of a thriller that hasn't been done as a feature film until now. Don't rush to the theatre or anything, but it's worth a watch for the various excellent performances. A slim 103 minutes, it could have used some slight trims to take it down to a manageable 90, due to an extended denouement and a baffling intro
I just came back from seeing this. It's a really nice looking film and I took a liking to it pretty much straight away, but as it went on I got more and more bored and frustrated. The reveal is utterly disappointing because absolutely nothing that happens or comes to light about any of the characters really implicates them or gives them an alibi or strong motive, there's no puzzles or twists or shocking revelations, so when Poirot suddenly accuses the murderer out of nowhere it feels really un-earned and not at all enlightening or satisfying. It's the exact opposite of Knives Out.

Most of the cast did a great job with what they were given, but once each character had been introduced, they just blended into everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Carpet posted:

Anatomy of a Fall (Justine Triet, 2023)

Gripping and very well done family/courtroom drama, featuring a fantastic central performance from Sandra Hüller (who's having a great 2023 as she also plays the camp commandant's wife in The Zone of Interest), along with performances from a child and a dog that refute that old maxim. The central mystery itself is very compelling, and I found myself tensed up on multiple occasions - there's one particular scene 2/3s of the way through that they'll be using on the highlights reel for Hüller's Oscar nomination.

Nicely shot, with camera movements (fast zooms into someone's face, whip pans to something happening off screen) that in certain moments give it a documentary feel - and there's some sequences where we see what's being recorded on a handheld digital camera.

There's also an interesting use of language - it's a French film, with a lead character who's and married to a Frenchman, who have lived in rural France for a few years after living in London, with a francophone son. However she mostly speaks English, including in the courtroom scenes as she isn't as fluent, while the judge, prosecutor and defence continue to speak French.

Perhaps 20 minutes too long, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again and trying to pick up on the little clues or moments I might have missed the first time around.

The screening of this one last night was a "mystery film" one (actually the same evening as its UK premiere) and there were surprisingly few walkouts - I heard a few groans when the French production companies came up on screen (Canal+ avec le participation de... etc) but they stayed seated through the opening scenes. Five or so walked out when we saw the first French characters speaking French 20 minutes in, after the opening titles - but were they asleep for that part immediately before which was in English? Anyway, their loss.

very late edit: totally forgot to mention that a steel band cover of a very popular song from 2003 plays an important part in the plot, but I guarantee you will not be able to guess the track
Just saw this tonight, amazing film. I've never been carried along by actor's performances like I was by this, everyone was incredible. So many little details in the script too, I've got no idea how a film like this even gets made.

Not for everyone, but if you like slow, methodical procedurals you'll probably love it.

It probably is 20 minutes too long, though.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

killers of the flower moon
Felt pretty much the same about KofFM, especially the weird edits. It happened so often I thought it was maybe a stylistic thing.

Saw Raging Grace last night. It was pretty good, it sort of reminded me of the creepy children's dramas you'd sometimes get on UK tv back in the 80s and early 90s. There's some really good ideas and social commentary, David Hayman is absolutely terrifying as the terminally man the main character is supposed to be looking after (all the acting is great, tbf), and the fantastic score really helps build the mounting dread. The film is just let down a bit by an overly slow and boring build up to the main thread, and a sort of 'made for tv' feel to the whole thing.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Just watched Rebel Moon. lovely lens, lovely over-produced sfx, lovely slo-mo that just highlights the fact that literally nothing that happens thats vaguely cool is actually real, lovely zero-stakes action sequences, one-dimensional unrealistically evil baddies that just exist so you feel good seeing them get their asses kicked, not one single original idea in the whole drat thing. Not even any cool looking spaceships. A shameful movie with shameful fans.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

BigHead posted:

Just watched Saltburn on Prime. What a great movie, holy cow. Barry Keoghan was fantastic.
Yeah it's pretty great.

Funnily enough I watched Calm with Horses last night, another film with a great performance from Barry Keoghan, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Grimey and brutal film with amazing performances from everyone in it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Black Crab Kinda weird sci-fi about a bunch of people sent to ice-skate across a frozen archipelago to deliver a package during a post-apocalyptic civil war, sort of like Sorcerer on ice. And with none of the style, stakes or tension, unfortunately. Suffers a lot from bullets practically drawing outlines round the main characters and the film sort of ending about 75% of the way in and the last act being a massive drag. A shame, because some aspects are really, really good.

Worth a watch if you want to see a sci-fi thats a bit different but be prepared to stop most of the way through to go and do something else.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
The Boy and the Heron - mixed feelings about this one. I've got to admit I'm not a massive fan of Miyazaki, most of his films I need to see a few times before I like them, perhaps this is no different. Forty minutes in and I was thinking this was an absolute masterpiece, everything about it is so beautifully crafted, *everything*, and I've rarely, if ever, been so drawn into a world and wanted to go there and explore it. But the last hour or so felt a bit like 'and then this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened' etc, and while everything ties up nicely, it hasn't left me with the feeling of being on a journey like some of his other films, it didn't really leave me with anything, tbh, and I'm not sure what to take away from it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Split Second 1992 sci-fi with Rutger Hauer

The movie shouldn't work, the mystery is really meh and the killer looks absolutely terrible. At no point did I feel compelled to follow along with the plot or feel like anything matters. The setting being global-warming ruined London is a cool idea, with almost all the sets being knee-high in water is also cool but aside from window dressing nothing really gets done with it. It feels like it wants to be a horror-thriller, but then everyone plays their characters so seriously while saying the most ludicrous poo poo that it loops around into a edgy funny buddy-cop comedy instead. It feels like a parody at times. Rutger Hauer being the edgiest of cops out for revenge while delivering lines like "Lucifer is in some deep poo poo now." while binging cigars and chocolates is just great.
Thanks for this, I just watched it. It's got to be one of the dumbest and most ineptly made films I've ever seen, but in the most entertaining way. Pretty much every scene has some stupid goof in it, whether its the underground nightclub where you can see leafy green sunny front gardens through the gaps in the planks over the windows or people in the background shielding their eyes cos the set lighting is uncomfortably bright, and all the amazingly unconvincing extras who look incredibly uncomfortable being on camera. Also the delivery from all the actors, even Hauer, is all in a weird sort of almost embarrassed way like they're improvising everything and it's all the first take.

'Dick Durkins' is fuckin hilarious all the way through too, a genuinely great character. The bit where he laughs about Hauer's character being called Harley and Hauer's response seems like genuine corpsing.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anatomy of a Fall was really good and it makes me laugh that the schedule of events for the trial was basically:

Day One: splatter analyst provides pretty conclusive evidence that she didn't do it
Day Two And Onward: her vibes, though??

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I genuinely didn’t know which way the film was going to go, and not in a ‘expecting a twist’ way either.

The scene at the end though, where they’re in the restaurant and it looks like they’re about to kiss scared the crap out of me. I’m so glad they didnt

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Lobster Henry posted:

It’s funny, while I was watching it I never really entertained the idea that she might’ve done it. But on reflection, I think that’s less about my impression of her character and more about my disinterest in that kind of storytelling. Like, I’m not a murder mystery person. I don’t like rug pulls of that kind; I’d rather have the facts and watch the drama unfold. So I just subconsciously assumed that she was innocent because I would’ve thought a last-act reveal was hella dull.
I know what you mean and 100% agree, I was thinking something similar, but so much of the film is absolutely stellar that I trusted that if she was guilty, it wouldn't be a dumb rug pull, and that there would be some substance to it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At this point I only have the thread bookmarked so I can read outrageously bad takes
I really want to like Blade Runner 2049 cos so much of it is actually really good, but I can't get over Jared Leto's performance (he improvised his lines, right? no-one actually wrote that poo poo?) or how deadly seriously it takes itself while having nothing interesting to say about anything. Every time I see it, I hate it more.

That last finale by the drat is absolute torture, too.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah he's an abhorrent person but that works for the role in 2049 where you need someone who exudes inherent scumminess to make certain things click. Part of the reason Luv is so great in the movie is because as soon as you get a glimpse of how Wallace interacts with her you understand 100% why she is like that.
Luv was the other character who really put me off. Her and Wallace both have their Enigmatism knobs turned up to ludicrous levels, and everything they say is so drat hokey. That would make total sense if they were supposed to be reddit style 'twisted fuckin psychopath :smuggo:' losers, but imho the film is clearly in love with them and really wants you to find them enchanting and intimidating.

Beverly Hills Cop - fuckin hell I love this film so much. a perfect movie. one of my favourite soundtracks ever. the good guys are all so drat charming and likeable, while the bad guy is charismatic and mysterious but still grounded. so many great characters, even side parts like Serge in the gallery or the 'free bananas' dude in the hotel. funny in the same way as hanging out with a bunch of funny people, not the weird fourth-wall/character breaking poo poo that is all most comedies seem to be able to muster up these days. 5/5

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
River's Edge (1986) - a kid in high school murders a schoolmate for no clear reason, tells his friends, and things kinda spiral from there. Reminded me a bit of Stand by Me in terms of the atmosphere and that the whole film takes place over a very short period of time and feels like a journey. Features a very young looking Keanu Reeves being very Keanu and Crispin Glover in an extremely disturbing mullet being very Crispin Glover, which aren't necessarily bad things. There's some slightly wooden acting but otherwise it's pretty great, the plot gives no fucks and there's a constant dread that things are about to explode building in the background. Would recommend.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Midnight Meat Train (2008) The most gratuitous and incompetent CGI and post-processing in any film ever. The most unintentionally hilarious foreplay scene I have ever witnessed. Vinnie Jones looking painfully British and out of place in New York. Bradley Cooper being utterly inept with a camera. Bradley Cooper having some sort of psychotic break while trying to photograph his semi naked girlfriend. A subway station underneath a meat packing plant. A subway train where no-one noticed one of the carriages has meathooks in it. An upside down corpse that's got rigor mortis so the boobs hang upwards. A plot so stupid I daren't try to recall it.

It's loving dreadful, but it is fun.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Killing Ground (2016) An Aussie couple go camping and find an abandoned truck and tent, though they don't realise they're abandoned at first, then bad poo poo starts to happen. Not an amazing film by any stretch, and it's pretty harrowing in parts, but as a thriller I really enjoyed it. There's some solid low-key acting, people behaving realistically in a terrifying situation, decent pacing and a shitload of tension, and the film lets you know quite early on that the ending probably won't be happy. The only real downside is that the film jumps back and forth between two points in time in a way that possibly lets on too much, and it's done kinda clumsily.

I loved the scene early on when the toddler stumbles out of the woods, barely in shot. Properly gave me chills, I kinda wish more of the film had that vibe. Also that lady's face at the end, drat.

Just dont watch the trailer if you're planning on watching the film.

3.5/5

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 15, 2024

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Island Zero (2018) - fantastic setup, fantastic location, fantastic photography, but everything else is shiiiiiiiiiiiittttt

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Wanted: Dead or Alive 1986 Rutger Hauer, treading practically threadbare ground at this point, plays an utterly unhinged ex-CIA agent living in the most insanely 80's, ludicrously outfitted bounty-hunter's secret warehouse lair, paid to hunt down a terrorist who's blown up a cinema showing Rambo on the cheap, with a wacky harmonica vs 1960's Doctor Who/BBC Radiophonic Workshop fusion soundtrack. Sounds great, right?

Alas, the ending scene is pretty funny, but otherwise it's incredibly generic and dull. The baddies and action are both dull as poo poo, and Hauer's nowhere near charismatic enough to get away with his constant mugging at the camera. You'll struggle to maintain your attention.

2/5

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Nightride (2021): This film must have been a logistical fuckin nightmare. Hats off to everyone involved for that alone.

Imagine Boiling Point except instead of following a chef through a rough night at a restaurant, you're following a drug dealer on his last, biggest, riskiest deal. It's not as good as Boiling Point, and it doesn't have Stephen Graham in it, but it's still pretty loving good. Shot in realtime in what is presented as a single take, mostly pointing back at the main character as he desperately drives round Belfast, trying to shake a potential tail while trying to get all his ducks lined up.

The whole thing feels really tense and authentic, there's even a few bits (including an encounter with the police) where I'm genuinely not sure if they're real or not. The acting is mostly solid, and even though you (mostly) only hear their voices, there are some great characters too - Ellie O'Halloran as a much younger cousin stuck out at night after her tinder date ghosts her, and Stephen Rea as the guy who's about to collect are particular standouts.

There's a few slightly cringey lines and the original soundtrack isn't always able to carry the tension the rest of the film builds, but overall it's a really fun ride, a definite recommend. But don't watch the trailer, it gives away way too much.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Late Night with the Devil (2023) Have you seen stuff like The Vast of Night, or Look Around You, or other similar stuff where a ton of effort has gone into paying attention to detail, and making things feel real and authentic? Well, Late Night with the Devil has exactly gently caress all of any of that. You know it's going to be poo poo in the opening scene, when they simulate an old CRT telly with a bunch of awful CGI, rather than...you know...just using a real CRT tv.

It's a film with a ton of great ideas, but with a frustrating lack of attention to detail, or any care to make anything feel authentic, or for anything to make sense in the real-tv/found-footage setting its supposed to have. It's an extremely dumb film, but it's pretty entertaining, so I don't totally hate it. It just could have been so much better.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Surge (2020): 24 hours in the life of an airport security worker who has a massive mental breakdown on his birthday. Sort of like Falling Down but with Safdie brothers vibes and filmed in London. Possibly a bit of Joker in there too. I'd not heard of Ben Wishaw before this, and he's so loving good there were bits where it almost felt exploitative, like the producers let a genuinely severely mentally disturbed man loose on the streets. It's probably not as good as Good Time or Uncut Gems but I found it way more of an anxiety rollercoaster.

VVV I just noticed I put the wrong year on Surge lol

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 31, 2024

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Promising Young Woman is a solid film with a lot of people going around just misunderstanding the whole thing and I love those, honestly
yeah its pretty great. I ended up watching a bunch of reaction/review vids on YouTube and the visceral, pulling-shirt-over-face reactions it got from most people is like nothing I've ever seen, and speaks volumes.

Emily the Criminal (2022) Aubrey Plaza plays a young woman, crippled by debt, who's desperation draws her into the world of credit card fraud. Another film with Good Time vibes - loads of tension, super naturalistic acting, amazingly authentic characters and dialogue. It's not particular deep or layered but whatever, it's a fun ride that goes by quick. Dont watch the trailer tho, it literally gives the whole film away.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 2, 2024

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Prisoners Denis Villeneuve
This is the exact tone and tempo I wished Zodiac had and that film only really managed to capture in the basement scene and in the initial killings. Highly recommended if you want a very bleak thriller that pulls no punches and isn't afraid to make you question how far you'd go to rescue your child.
I've seen this film at least 3 times and always really liked it, but every time it comes up I'm completely at a loss to remember anything that happens in it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Rolling Thunder (1977) Quentin Tarantino apparently loves this film, I didn't. It's probably a great film, but maybe I'm too millennial brained to connect with it, beyond the basic revenge angle.

Haute Tension (2003) As a slasher flick this seemed really well done, everything was well put together, the gore was good and there was tons of it. But if you're like me and slasher flicks and gore just kinda wash over you without any effect, this film probably won't do much for you. I really wanted to like it, and loved the build up, but I just didn't care about anything that happened or anyone it happened to.