Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Meanwhile, Bottoms answers the question, "what if Superbad but lesbians?" (Never mind that Booksmart already did this.) Goes for an outrageously over-the-top, cartoonish vibe which is fun but undermines any attempt to create emotional stakes. Some great comedic moments from the two leads, though. And since my movie-geek thing is looking for excellent supporting performances, I will call out Summer Joy Campbell as a manic braceface psycho, Ruby Cruz as a sweet wallflower who really likes blowing things up, and, of all people, Marshawn Lynch as The Cool Teacher. One minus that has stuck with me: the movie leans really hard on "stupidity is hilarious" which gets old quick, especially when even the two leads are portrayed as dumb.

I think this is one of those rapid-fire comedies that will reward repeat viewing, but maybe wait until it's out on streaming -- unless, of course, you really want to financially support the risk being taken by the producers & studio in trying to create a mainstream queer comedy hit, which is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, Lynch was great, he’s got a good career ahead of him if he wants to stick with it.

I thought of Heathers too, but I think Bottoms suffers from the comparison. Part of what makes Heathers work so well is that Ryder and Slater’s characters form a smart, cynical outsiders’ group of two. Very explicitly in Bottoms, no one is smart enough to be cynical, including the leads.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
It's rare that I am so impressed by a more-or-less random streaming movie picked for a Sunday night, so I have to give a big shoutout to How to Blow Up a Pipeline, an indie suspense thriller about a group of would-be eco-terrorists trying to pull off the titular action. The heist-like plot is tense, the flashbacks revealing each conspirator's background and motivations are surprisingly effective, and the performances from the cast of mostly-unknown young actors are excellent. Low-budget suspense is tough to pull off, and taking on such a politically charged subject could be offensive if handled clumsily, but everything works here. Highly recommended.

Chicken Butt fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 18, 2023

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I thought Men was great — deliberately-uncomfortably balanced between hilarious and disturbing, and a very thorough polemical takedown of various forms of toxic masculinity. I’m definitely in the minority on this one, though – most people read it as unintentionally hilarious, and only intermittently effective as suspense/horror.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Coaaab posted:

susan tyrell is the bonafide scene stealer. in seeking out additional details about this film, i came upon across this wild-rear end interview/article about tyrell's career, trigger warning spoilers for huston being gross:

whole thing is worth the read

An absolutely incredible read, thank you. What a life, and what an amazing, profanely poetic storyteller.

My favorite detail: she once dated trailblazing transsexual Candy Darling, the subject of this classic song: https://youtu.be/XPgGjUSEWss?si=OKFCKQWHI8kWs3ho

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Miller’s Crossing also has one of the best dialog-free sequences set to a song in the history of cinema, as Albert Finney’s character gleefully dispatches some would-be assassins to the tune of “Danny Boy”.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Maximum Overdrive is King’s only directorial effort, and it was back in his cocaine-frenzy days. He has since disowned it as a “movie for morons”, which kinda makes me want to watch it.

Edit: the “Production” section of the Wikipedia page for this film is a wild ride:

King rode a motorcycle from Maine to Wilmington, so he could ride alongside semi-trucks on the highway. He wanted to get a better feel for how terrifying big-rigs could be when in close proximity, and to better know their loud sounds and movements. When King arrived at the studio on his bike for the initial production meeting, the security guards wouldn't let him through the front gate because they did not believe he was part of any production taking place on the lot. His appearance was disheveled, and he was rambling on about a film he was to direct involving killer trucks that had come alive due to a space comet.

Chicken Butt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 17, 2024

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

surf rock posted:

I expected to really enjoy Love Lies Bleeding but ultimately thought it was just okay. Kinda feels like someone put the "terminally horny" internet memes into a blender with Grindhouse and this is what came out.

Yeah same here. The casting and acting are really good … I think it was going for a Coen Bros vibe, but it failed to be quite clever or engaging enough. The climactic moment of magical realism elicited roars of laughter in my theater, which I’m not sure is what they were going for.

The “gross underbelly of America” atmosphere (underscored by one of Stewart’s character’s first scenes being her unclogging a toilet with her hands) was cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Carpet posted:

for a chaste nun she sure does spend a lot of time in thin or soaking wet nightgowns.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from nun movies, it’s that that’s totally standard nighttime convent attire.