Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - holds up well and looks fantastic. There's just something about New York in black and white. Tony Curtis is great as a slimeball press agent and Burt Lancaster is terrifying as a columnist with a poison pen. Along with The Apartment and Sunset Boulevard this is a great example of a classic movie that still feels snappy and watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Top Secret - I'd never seen this before and enjoyed it a lot. Some of the jokes haven't aged well, but there are surprisingly few of those considering it was made in 1984. The density of jokes is phenomenal and some of them are just straight up weird, like the Swedish bookshop and the train scene. Val Kilmer absolutely kills it in his first film role.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Fun double bill last night:

The Holdovers - loved it. Well written, poignant. Great performances all round. Felt like a future classic really, possibly owing to the film grain etc. Kinda reminded me of stuff like the Station Agent and Baghdad Hotel.

Lethal Weapon - it was entertaining, but not as good as I remember. Relies a lot on the charisma and energy of Gibson and Glover to paper over a pretty thin/boring plot. Die Hard is a lot tighter and retains the Xmas action movie crown in my eyes.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 24, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Casablanca - I'd seen bits and pieces of it over the years, but never in full. It has so many seminal lines that I've heard referenced in a thousand things that I'd felt like I'd watched it already. Hot take: it's a good movie. The Marseillaise scene was so powerful and well constructed, capped off with Madeline Lebeau's agonised cry at the end.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
In the Heat of the Night. Another basic classic that lived up to the hype. Poitier is an unbelievably magnetic screen presence.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Tokyo Pop - amazed I'd never heard of this. 80s music comedy romance where a luminous Carrie Hamilton moves to Japan to try and make it. She meets Diamond Yukai who has incredible hair throughout. The aesthetics and fashion are powerful and the fairly basic and predictable story is helped along by sincere performances. It's a vibe as they say. Somehow it's considerably less racist than the much later Lost in Translation, too.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 25, 2024

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Monolith - interesting independent single location horror/sf movie. Did a decent job of world building and Lily Sullivan was convincingly committed to the role of a former respectable journalist turned UFO podcaster who becomes increasingly embroiled in her material. Competent and absorbing without big surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watched the original Road House for the first time and it was surprisingly good. I enjoyed the first half a lot more than the 2nd though. I was genuinely more interested in how Dalton was gonna clean up the bar rather than the more high stakes typical action movie stuff that happens later.