Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Jeez I dunno if I should ruin it for you by posting the context. it's the ski chase. One of my favorite tracks as well as the tense atmospheric music leading up to it.

Not suprised FYEO is the new hotness I would think the kicking of the enemy assassin's car off the cliff a move Roger Moore felt was too brutal btw would merit the film a second look alone despite Bibi Dahl's existence.

Ah hell I'll post it https://youtu.be/CUuMjlK22vs My favorite part is the descending piano lick on the ski jump.

That chase I'd way more slapstick than I remembered. Bond has a lot of dad energy in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thief (1981). Watched Heat a few days ago and was interesting to see how much was already there in Mann's first movie, including the entirely hollow female characters. This one didn't really justify the running time but was still a good watch, loved all the shots of the heists and the entirely gratuitous explosions at the end (what even was that bar that got blown up?)

e: second reaction is that the heists and the start of the shootout at the end feel 100x more authentic than in other films.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 4, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Last of the Mohicans (1992) Weird film, super stylised, almost cartoonist at times, but feels like it also has a lot of accurate details. Bold to have a pivotal scene in multiple non English languages. I feel like it's a lot less offensive than it could be for a 1995 film by a white director but don't know enough to say for sure.

Daniel Day Lewis is smoking throughout, even when pulling silly faces.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gunpowder battle scenes were great - that initial set of shots of the siege from a distance was phenomenal, as was the wide shot of the start of the ambush

E: Mann also sells the relationships in this more than his others I've seen so far, albeit with a really minimal amount of dialogue

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 6, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

That whole ending with hardly a word spoken and the soundtrack blasting is amazing on its own.

Yeah that was cool. Love that FDL wasn't the one to take out the "bad" guy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It feels very dated now I think. The new one was such a depressing view onto British life.

Baby Boy (2001). Weird but I think I liked it? The spectre of domestic violence looms large and (authentically perhaps) is never really resolved. I thought the conclusion was going to be that to become a man Jody needed to learn to make a sandwich, but it was actually to shoot Snoop Dog? or maybe that was a dream and he was actually just dead, idk. Most unambiguously fun scene was when he's selling clothes in the flirtiest way imaginable

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Collateral (2004). It's really weird having Cruise in this. He does a fine Cruise performance but it gives the whole film his energy. Jamie Foxx is great. Some of the effects in the cab are not

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Banshees of Inisherin - Fell a little flat for me, get why some people would like it though. Siobhan was the most interesting character. One thing that I think really killed it for me was that you never saw any of the main characters working, I can see what they were going for instead but it made the whole film feel very staged.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 6, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Fabelmans. Was not at all interested in this (I find Spielberg's style kind of meh) but it was the only non-kids movie at the cinema this week. Actually excellent and the minimal plot really allows the quality of the storytelling to shine through. A real capital M Movie

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Party Girl 1995. I quite enjoyed this but it's got strong indie movie vibes. The makers are often more interested in using a certain technique or trick than telling their story effectively

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Meaty Ore posted:

Yeah, but what other movie can you name that tries to depict library science as the latest hip, edgy thing that all the cool kids are into these days?

Yeah it's good. The cool/not cool politics of the film didn't make much sense until I decided that everyone involved in making the film had a very different experience of being young to me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Cool stuff, gorgeous film. The floating fighting is really weird for the first few minutes but is actually awesome. Doesn't really make me want to watch other wuxia movies though.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Mysterians monster is great

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Amateur (1994) - I'm unable to believe that Isabelle Huppert's character has spent a single moment inside a Nunnery prior to the start of this film.

I hadn't seen a Hartley film before and like it a lot. It feels very derivative but I think it's sometimes the opposite - one of the mob guys sounded like American Psycho at times and this came out 6 years before that film!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 20, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Loulou (1980). The men, setting, and plot are all bleak. Obviously well made but not much fun to watch, the resigned frustration with and bitterness towards even the good things in life is very powerful.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 21, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In fact it's exactly what you would expect for a 1980 French film which imdb summarizes as "A bored wife leaves her husband for an unemployed, petty criminal."

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Empire of Light - whole lot of talent making the best of a terrible script

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

K-19: The Windowmaker. Not a good film! Reading the wiki page was quicker and just as interesting. I can't believe how badly cast basically all the leads are.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

checkplease posted:

Bound: the first Wachowski film, but last one of theirs that I have finally watched. Great stuff.
Love the dark noir setup and mind games. Plus a lot of the camera shots and directing feels like trials for the Matrix. Oh and Joe Pantoliano is so good at being crazy. I can see why they brought him back for Cypher.

also watched this and it's good. the main characters are very cool but their plan sucks, just run away!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Body Heat (1981). I loved the shot of the clown. Hurt's character kinda already knows that's him but he's too in the bag to stop

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sicario - lots of genre conventions tweaked or turned up just enough to give them a new angle. Also really excellent filmmaking. Was kind of unbelievable when the FBI buddy told Emily Blunt's character that she "looked like poo poo", all of the cop/spook/military character's look amazing

e: also thought it was really interesting how in the bridge traffic jam scene the mexican dudes were obviously terrified. normally they'd be emotionless mooks

distortion park fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 27, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

poo poo I saw this past week:

The Great Escape

I saw this and The Guns of Navarone so much as a kid. Awesome movie.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blood Simple - extremely well made but like so many of these neo noir films revolves around the characters being incredibly stupid

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Frances Ha - why is this black and white? The first 30 minutes irritated me but I'm glad I kept going it was a nice film by the end. Adam Driver was the best bit, lol at "would you like to see my room?"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yes, Madam! A bit surprised that the movie isn't really that focused on Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock- they do most all the action, yes, but a lot of the running time is devoted to a group of low-tier criminal brothers getting caught up in a murder and conspiracy. Once you get past that slight disappointment though it's a pretty solid example of the psuedo-comic modern martial arts movies that were dominant at the time. The action scenes are great and both women do some ludicrous stunts, and the ending is a classic example of just dropping a bomb on the audience and then hastily cutting to credits (another Hong Kong tradition).

I found the bumbling criminals surprisingly charming and funny.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Palm Springs features off brand Michael Cera except he's actually much more likeable than the real thing. Fun, short (!) film!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carpet posted:

"off-brand Michael Sera" You mean Andy Samberg?

Yeah, and a quick Google suggests I'm not the only person who thinks they are similar looking!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Phantom Thread: Not at all the movie I was expecting going in, or even after watching the first 30 minutes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nemesis_hub posted:

Just finished Body Double, goddamn that was good. It’s an indication of our culture’s immaturity and shallowness that DePalma has never been fully recognized and celebrated (outside of film nerd circles) as the American Godard that he is.

i found it really hard to work out what I thought about it afterwards. the scene where he's stalking the woman in the shopping mall feels so creepy (way more than the rest of the movie which is a high bar)

also I can't remember anything more than fragments of the plot

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Age of Innocence - ouch, devastating. The set decorations go way beyond the norm for period dramas and it's completely worth it, transforms the film.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Inside Man - 2(!) Good ideas but should have been 90 minutes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

checkplease posted:

Mishima, the film, is a great film visually, musically, and of course the direction. I’ve never read any of his work but will be interested to know if it enhances it more. The Mishima, as portrayed by he film to me, seems kind of masculinity obsessed and conservative. Is his writing like this?

Yes, also honour and belonging to a place. I liked "The Sound of Waves", a sort of coming of age romance set on a small island.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thelma & Louise and Scarface - both films are in agreement that sticking your tongue out at women does NOT work

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A.I. Artificial Intelligence can't believe I hadn't seen this before. Full of that Spielberg discomfort and uncertainty about whether it's a movie for adults or children. Not all of the notes landed for me but I loved some of the sequences (the flesh fair, the final part) and appreciated its boldness. Can't believe this was a blockbuster.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Also Spielberg finally worked out how he can have his cake and eat it wrt graphic violence.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Graduate - didn't love this like so many seem to. Mrs Robinson is a great character, but Benjamin is so odd (almost got Taxi Driver vibes at various moments). The rest of the cast felt almost robotic (including the daughter at times), a sort of omnipresent being that Benjamin struggles to wriggle free of. He shows a lot of character growth, perhaps not in a great direction, I guess Mrs Robinson is to blame for that. Some killer lines too (Mrs Robinson, having just taken her dress off in front of Benjamin: "Benjamin, I am not trying to seduce you")

distortion park fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 6, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Like most Nolan films, if you turned off the endless Hans Zimmer droning score and re-edited it to be straightforward, people would realize it's boring.

This hypothetical other film would be very different, yes.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Benjamin's "robotic" nature is part of the appeal - he is a deeply directionless and depressed kid who was shuffled into a future that was decided for him, and the moment he finds a way to break out of it and make his own choices he ends up making things even worse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the movie as much as I wish I did, but it's mostly because it peaks early for me with everything up to and including the drowning and seduction scenes and the second half loses me until the ending and I wish it was almost even darker, but like...yeah.

Yeah, it all felt super intentional and we'll put together but didn't grab me. Was probably mind blowing in the 60s though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

La Haine is very good but the cliff is pretty steep if any of the elements hadn't worked (and looking back a lot of the story beats aren't exactly fresh). Cassel is incredible, the other two guys were good but he nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

I'd argue it was pretty fresh in 1995.
I should rewatch this, it's been years.

It would be an interesting rewatch, I bet almost all the tension is still there even when you've seen it before.