Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boogie Nights. Watched this lad after seeing licorice pizza. I really don't know why I put it off for so long, I'm a huge PTA fan. Really good, if a bit unpolished. Despite a relatively bloodless ending, there is something very sad about seeing everyone together at the end trapped in the same horrible system.

The sweet smell of success I had heard about this film on the periphery for years and finally decided to give it a shot. Absolutely razor sharp dialogue. Watching Curtis and Lancaster compete for who can be the most disgusting human being is extremely compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The anime or the live action

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

under the silver lake writer read a whole lotta Pynchon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know about FBI, but a lot of city folks are very surprised just how few cops there are in rural America. There's counties as large as some European countries that have one sheriff and one deputy and that's it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

House of Gucci is sort of a mess. Gaga I'll give credit for being alright, much better than I woulda guessed. And Driver while still looking like a bunch of eels wearing Human skin did an alright job as an incredibly awkward shy motherfucker. Pacino was really Pacinoing it up which I can forgive, but Leto, jesus. I didn't recognize him so good job disspeaering into the character, unfortunately his portrayal is so clownshoes it makes every scene with him a joke. Given him and Pacino are the obstacles to overcome for most the film it doesn't do a very good job of raising the stakes at all.

And then everyone in the film is so awful or ineffectual that you end up outside anyone's corner. I think you'd have a better time just watching a doc or book about the actual murder. And the Music is all over the place.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stolen Kisses owns. There's so much truth in how Antoine acts it's hard not to see parts of my younger self in him. Excited to see where he ends up in the last two

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Two English Girls is causing an existential crisis in me. 4.5/5 stars

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

La Chinoise is mostly boring. The aesthetic is cool, but the only two parts that really stood out are the conversation on the train, and when Léaud and the Woman are talking, he tells her he loves her, but they cannot even have a normal conversation without devolving into mindless maoist rhetoric. I think I understand what he was trying to do, with the young people desiring some change, but their lives have already been so commercialized that even Communism becomes another product to be sold to them. And like a catchy jingle, they can only cast it back like an echo, they spend the whole movie Learning but never Thinking. . All in all a rather boring experience. Give it one and a half stars half for the mao map song and one star for Léaud who I'd watch watching paint dry.

I don't know much about the man, but something about the way this movie worked makes me feel like Godard had serious imposter syndrome, and was absolutely terrified that he wasn't as cool or innovative as he thought. The film was just giving off vibes of a man very uncomfortable in his own skin.
I'm highly biased against him though, I read about his split with Truffaut and having been so enamored with Truffaut's films I've got an instinct to read everything Godard does or is very uncharitabley despite myself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My Dinner with Andre is an incredibly interesting little film. I wish more films had the courage to just lean fully into two characters having a bit of philosophy without all the extraneous bullshit. There's a tendency for works like this to push a favored reading, especially in the final act, the film gains a lot by having both the two mains making pretty good points. Andre is right that the modern world tends to denigrate the basic acts of living, but his constant need to try and force these transcendent experiences is both unhealthy and ultimately unachievable to the majority of people, a fact reinforced every time they show how out of place Wally is in such a moneyed restaurant, and especially at the end when Andre grabs the check. Wally seems to be a lot more grounded, but while he can take joy in the smaller things in life, he also spends the majority of his life simply spinning his wheels. Perhaps after their dinner both of them can take a bit of each other and both end up happier. Kinda sad they felt the need to bait and switch with the title, how many people were expecting Andre 3000 to show up at dinner? I know I did.

The Young Girls of Rochefort I didn't know this was a musical when I started it. It reminds me of Tyler's video for SEE YOU AGAIN

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving walking by and the homeless man quotes Boethius. Go gently caress youself 24 Hour Party People New Order is the only band in the movie that isn't an embarrassment

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Decameron, it's nice to see such a depiction of medieval society. But there doesn't seem to be much point to the movie. And the way it's shot with the long pauses on peoples faces and almost no score, it doesn't feel...representative of the novel is I think what I want to say. Not exactly a bad time watching it, but a film that doesn't seem like it has any purpose besides entertainment, and maybe the glorification of the lower classes over the upper. I do appreciate how few fucks the movie gives about sex and nudity. I'm so loving over this neo puritan poo poo that keeps happening in media.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Made in USA. I cannot think of a movie that's left me as cold as this one in recent memory. The concept of bringing the American Noir, and giving it a literal fresh coat of paint by infusing it with the relentless energy of the French New Wave seems like a winning combination. But Godard is so up his own rear end that the movie is utterly lifeless. The use of color is sublime, but there isn't a single Human in the movie, maybe the barman, instead everyone and everything is a symbol, enigma, or concept. People launch into these meaningless postmodern tirades, if one is to give the impression of deep thought, you should probably not make every thought sound like the dumb poo poo that comes out my buddies mouth after he's smoked too much. The film is filled with so much truly Avant Garde technique. Words are covered by diagetic sounds, characters are all named after Americans of note, the action sometimes stops all together so the players can T Pose at eachother and explain their exact thoughts and feelings. Very Advanced Very Guard and completely terrible on all levels. The movie is stuffed full of such novel techniques for one purpose, to give the illusion of depth, the truth is the movie has less than nothing to say. It is a complete failure as a piece of cinema, a complete failure as a story, a complete failure as a satire, a complete as a criticism of America, or capitalism, or western values or whatever dumb loving thing Godard thinks he's railing against.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a lot better on the big screen. I can't imagine watching it on a tv

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Woman Next Door Maybe my least favortie Truffaut so far, but still a really compelling little thriller. One thing I love about his films is that even if it's played a little melodramatically there's a real sense of relatability with his works. I think we all had that relationship that ended poorly, and when you see them years later it just totally fucks your poo poo up for a minute.

Shutter Island Good film, really liked Decap in this, I prefer it to the Revenant to be honest, maybe he shoulda one for this.

La Jetée Best of the films I've seen this week, I assume they couldn't afford a camera, but the use of the stills really puts you into the same mindspace as the Traveler who is living life in this strange dissociated series of images displaced from time. Also didn't know Twelve Monkey's was based on this. Highly rec'd for anyone with a half hour free

Blue Valentine :(

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shoot the piano player. This movie reminds me a lot of the killers even though thinking through it it really doesn't resemble it. The level of introspection from the main was pretty interesting to see in such a noirish tale, Truffaut's works always seem to be built on the foundation of reality that we ourselves experience and that scene with him overthinking trying to hold her hand, and then her explains her own overthinking after they sleep together is an interesting examination of the interiority of a new relationship that I think we can all identify with and a concept that should be better explored in film.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Craig's bond doesn't like being a 007 and it ruins the whole thing. Bond movies should be about crazy plots, beautiful women, fast cars, and amazing locations, when you get a character who would choose to be a sad sack alcoholic instead the movies stop being fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Soft Skin There's something nice about watching a man totally gently caress up his life for no reason when he could have saved it with just a few conversations. It's like everytime there's a choice between a good and bad option Lacheny mashes the Total Fuckup Option as hard as he can.

Le Samourai Everyonce in a while you watch an older movie, and then suddenly a dozen newer ones make way more sense. Dude is effortlessly cool. Gotta shout out the commissioner though, dude manages plays the absolute worst mid level bureaucrat to the tee. A repulsive figure willing to batter you with his false morality until you yield or die. Also big up to the restraint in the film. Nothing is ever pointed out, you don't need to be told the Bird is his alarm, after seeing the utter contempt that modern films hold their audience in It's nice to see a film confident enough in itself and it's viewers to not constantly exposit.

The Story of Adele H. First off the version I watched was on Prime and it was loving awful. Either because my Uncle's TV or because Prime Bad, but the movie was compromised visually. Secondly The main actress deserved that Best Actress Nom, she's the only real fleshed out character, and she manages to do a hell of a job. It's interesting, Adele the person was clearly a very troubled young lady, but Truffaut's adaption truly serves to truly eviscerate the Ideals of the Romantic. Adele can never reach her supposed lover, her devotion is rewarded only in Anguish, Betrayal, Poverty, and the destruction of her mind. Far from showing it as some beautiful thing to forever pine away after you're Beatrice, Truffaut holds nothing back in showing what a miserable time such a person would have.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Posession i can fix her

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Murmurs of the Heart I think I downloaded this because it was supposed to be like 400 Blows. I think it's well made, well acted, touches on some interesting and taboo subjects, but I don't relate to it at all. I can pretty easily picture myself as Antoine Doinel as I was also poor as gently caress growing up and embarrassed the hell out of myself chasing girls as a teen. But this rich kid who goes to brothels and has servants and stays at seaside retreats. I can't it's a bridge too far, and with these "Growing up" type movies I need to be able to empathize with the lead in a way that I don't for an action movie or thriller. It's an extremely well crafted three star movie that I'm sure a lot of people would find to be a five

Matador I will never understand the European fascination with juxtaposing death and sex. Could you people just be normal for five minutes

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 23, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sisters I don't think I've ever seen a de Palma film so I went to give one a shot. There's some really cool camera work, I've always wondered why we don't see more split screen in film. Margot kidder s French Canadian accent is perfect, unrelatedly I've never heard a québécois. Professor Emil looks like the second string Hench in a bond movie. As far as Hitchcockian thrillers it was alright, but it did come off somewhat as a weaker rear window.

The woman writing poorly on the cake was incredibly anxiety inducing for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Masculin, Féminin

Ingmar Bergman posted:

“I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a loving bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin Féminin (1966), was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eye's Without a Face The long scene where you know that you're going to see his faceless daughter, but it makes you follow him from the garage, up the stairs, to the next stairs, into the room, and for a whole dialogue before you see the mask is masterfully done.

Raging Bull excellent camera work all around. De niro and Pesci obviously did great, but Cathy Moriarity I'm surprised didn't have a bigger career, the only thing I've seen her in is a bit part in The Double. As a boxing movie Raging Bull does a much better job than Rocky, as a movie movie though. I prefer Rocky there's something about the way Philly is a character in that movie that appeals to me. Usually I find the back half of movies drag, but the first half felt like it sagged whereas the back half really squared the circle on the film. The most interesting thing, is how oddly hopeful the end is. Dude totally hosed up every single good thing in his life, lost his brother, wife, kids, and career. But he seems to have actually managed to learn at the end, a lot of movies take an easy out by just having these people die or stay evil forever. Having someone take a least the first baby steps into growing as a person is far more interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Martian This movie started okay, if a little rote, then halfway through it just totally derailed. Right around when donald glover's epic quirky physicist comes up with his stupid plan. Every single scene on ground control sucks, as does every scene in the Hermes. You wanna do this movie well? We never see the crew or ground control after the disaster, when he talks to them over the pathfinder it's purely in text. Damon doesn't make cringe jokes constantly, instead he never opens his mouth until he reunites with the Hermes. The movie just follows him in his daily routine as he tries to stay sane and safe while trying to get off the planet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nadja in Paris The more I think about it the more I like it. The way that Nadja operates in Paris is reminiscent of the way many people operate in this online landscape, and seeing her inner journey does not bode particularly well for them. I saw Jean-Pierre Léaud was supposed to be in this, but I must've missed him

Night Moves Just an incredibly solid meat and potatoes noir. A hard 3, enjoyable but lacking anything to really put it over the top. Hackmans a guy I'm gonna keep my eye on, he was the only part of The Firm* that I liked, and I think I've not given the man his due. I was loving shook when I followed up Nadja with this though, what the gently caress are the chances that one watches a Rohmer flick then see's reference to one in the next picture they put on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Driver it's amazing how easily you can see this as both a predecessor to Drive and an interpretation of Le Samourai. It's good but not as good as I'd hoped.

The Cook, The Thief, his Wife, and her Lover Amazingly well done sets and, I think the term is, Mise en Scene. The use of colors is totally beautiful, the acting great, and plot compelling. Easily the best movie I've seen this month and It's sad that Mr.Greenway seems to have chosen to do less major film work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The French Connection New York in the seventies should get a best actor award for all the work it put in in making some of the best movies of that decade.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Booksellers A real mess of a documentary, it feels like they shot a ton of footage and then just chopped it all up without rhyme or reason to get to the hour and a half mark. The stories from the Booksellers themselves don't tend to be that interesting, there isn't enough focus on the texts themselves, and it's attempts at any sort of grander meaning or thesis are flaccid at best. It hits all your standard beats the basic bookman, the weird out there bookman, the highest priced bookman, the largest collection bookman, the woman author collector book woman, the minority collector book woman, before finally asking the question we were all waiting for "Is books dying?" Which it, with much courage answers with a hearty "Perhaps".

There is a few good stories and cool shots of rare books and collections. But this is one of the rare times I can say, just throw it on while your doing chores around the house.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Mummy (1932) If only he had known, These hoes ain't loyal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elevator to the Gallows It's great that this dude's murder plan was competent unlike say Double Indemnity's plan, then the dude fucks it all up in the dumbest way. The movie almost lost me at the end, but the final scene as the photo's developed saved it. I almost feel bad for the pair, if they'd only run off together instead of choosing murder the whole thing could've been a fun romp instead of a tense noir. Standout shot was the MC giving the report to his boss while wearing the gloves, just that one thing being off signaling poo poo is about to go down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

8mm The detective descending deeper and deeper into the bowels of hidden society is my favorite genre, and this film did an admiral job until the end. I kept waiting for the reveal that the snuff film was fake, or he was in a snuff film the whole time, or something. instead it ends on a weirdly uplifting note for a movie where the MC murders two people instead of going to the police, and gets one person killed. Gandolfini killed it. If true romance didn't convince me the man could be tony this woulda. I only realized halfway through that the kid was phoenix

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My Night at Maud's Eyes wide Shut, with less paranoia. A fascinating examination of the conflict between the human form and the religious ideal. A model for healthy relationships, a spotlight into a man who loves too easily only to be let down. Maud contains multitude in it's slight runtime. I liked Rohmer's other tales, but the dude went back to the shop, got back on the field and decided to only hit Homerun. Rohmer might be lowkey one of my favorite directors.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jules et Jim it's nice to be back to some Truffaut, but I had a premonition that I wasn't going to love it, and I sure didn't. Obviously the easiest comparison to another movie is going to be Two English Girls, the same relationship triangle exists. But against popular opinion I prefer much more how Two English Girls did it. There the characters all feel like people too trapped in their own heads and end up constantly making the wrong decision at the right time or the right decision at the wrong time. The whole film exudes a deep melancholy, it has an almost dream like quality about it, an impressionist film perhaps. Jules and Jim is more grounded, but bringing in the war gives such a clean break to the Happy/Sad dichotomy that it loses something. Jules himself is no fun to watch at all, Dude is the Stu making pudding at 3am of french cinema, and Catherine comes off as awful. I don't know if I've ever seen someone so conceited and unwilling to grow up. The actress does do a great portraying such a troubled woman, almost the same premise as the character of hers in Elevator to the Gallows with a dash more impulsiveness.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rope Leopold and Loeb's even dumber cousins decide to murder a man they both know in their apartment and then invite over people whom know them both for a party. I honestly feel bad for Nietzsche for how bad a rap he gets from dunderheads like these whom are as incapable of reading as they are getting away with murder. Other than that, it's a pretty tense joint, but it didn't feel like much special to me. I hadn't even really considered how difficult it would be to do a film like that back in the day with actual film and all that. A good film but I can honestly say reading about it's production was more interesting to me personally.

Une Histoire d'Eau This sucked tracking down. It's not often you can see the clash in styles between directors in one piece, and so clearly. You can see the Phantasmical rather than Fantastical romance underlying the film so clearly Truffaut, and then Godard came in to remix it with his constant narration and philosophical/commercial navel gazing. To be fair though I think it works. The driving beats and overheads give a sense of urgency to what would otherwise be a pretty lackadaisical short. It's also interesting to see the water imagery, and the boat with it show up again. This is the first of it, but you also see it heavily in Domicile Conjugal, and The Woman Next Door , there's a series of degeneration or something with it being actual people in this short, it being models in Bed and Board. and then it scaled down models in Woman Next Door, I don't have a hypothesis for what it means, but it's interesting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SuperTeeJay posted:

Thunderball was boring but the ‘high speed’ boat chase at the end was great to watch.

I always really liked the chase into the Carnival, and Fiona Vulpe

Last Year at Marienbad I slept on it and am still sure, this is my new favorite movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thief Soon as I saw Tangerine Dreams I knew this poo poo was going to be dope. I usually barely notice scores in movies, but this ones might've been the best actor in the film. I think most people would agree after some thought that their is a special pleasure one feels in seeing a master working their craft, and Mann does an amazing job of showing the sheer blood and grit it takes to get the job done. And all that leads back to what a great job the movie does, surprisingly, at portraying Labor relations. I've seen a lot of "Smarter" movies that totally miss the human element of the devaluation of Labor. Granted perhaps it was a little on the nose to have him abandoning his family, blowing up his house, and his business; or to have the Mob boss give a speech that amounts to "gently caress you, your life is mine and I'll ride you until you die" but hell why not.

Seventh Seal Really well shot and acted but not particularly resonant with me personally. Still interesting though

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 25, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mission Impossible Vacillates wildly between being a goofy bond ripoff and being a de palma film. I love how they don't even bother giving the badguy a reason, and the second he gets fully revealed he turns into a total rear end in a top hat who shoots his wife immediately. Hit a lot of the fun action movie and spy thriller notes I was looking for, but it misses the fun travel aspect. Every Bond film has at least one place that I'd die to go to, The Ice Hotel, the Piz Gloria, Macauian Casino's those kinda places. MI just didn't get there with it's non descript Praguian streets and palaces.

Mission Impossible 2 Movie really doesn't pass the vibe check. Having John Woo direct is the first in a series of totally baffling choices in the film. The film tries to pull a Goldeneye and have the villain be an eveil counterpart to Ethan, but the dude is fully incompetent and plain stupid. He doesn't have the virus until Ethan does all the groundwork, his plan to release the plague is to release a suicidal woman into Sydney to infect people, at no point does he ever seem like a threat because he never has his poo poo together. Cruise meanwhile went from someone capable of pulling off a double cross mole hunt into a flat action hero who does incredibly stupid poo poo like letting the ex agent just have Nyah for some loving reason. Giving him the virus for the first time in the actual film, and making it so he just has to save her again. Seeing the John Wooisms is fun, but the script is awful, people have terrible lines and nothing flows at all. The only redeeming feature is the cool action but even that is taken down a peg for how much it's used to paper up how nonsensical it all is.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 28, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Smokey and the Bandit I want to buy a CB radio now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a cast with such a low collective iq. Ngl, Crawford killed it while Davis was just Okay.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Thing is amazing. Endings up there with The Third Man in being so bleak and hopeless, complete perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Joseph Cotton might not be slowly freezing to death, but he effectively accomplished nothing except getting his former friend killed. Both Movies have points where they could've easily given the ending some level of positivity like in the original version of Third Man, and instead both just let you wallow in the despair. They may have killed the Thing, but it's as likely that one of them is infected and once the temp drops low enough they'll freeze over waiting for the spring team.