Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I've been chipping away at The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. About two thiry of the way through and the story of the Gold Prospector is probably the only time when hearing Tom Waits call something "Mr. Pocket" isn't creepy. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Dragonball Super: Broly
Pretty much what you would expect: ten minutes of backstory followed by ten minutes of exposition then ten minutes of setup followed by an hour of punching and then the movie just ends. Probably some of the best animation in the entire franchise though.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 24, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hobbs and Shaw:
The Fastchise has been turned into a harem anime starring The Rock and I'm 100% on board.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Detective Pikachu

So it turns out the secret to making good video game movies is to have them be made by people who actually care about the games they are adapting and not weird German men who are using the production to exploit a loophole in Germany's tax law.

It also showed a surprising amount of restraint. All the mysteries in the movie were solved in the runtime and there was no set up for a sequel shown at all. Not even a post credits scene. Quite rare these days.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 10, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Space Adventure Cobra:

I was not in the right mindset for this movie. Noted for rewatch when on more drugs.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Okay Joker
It was good.
However for the love of loving god Hollywood:
WE DON'T NEED TO SEE BATMAN'S PARENTS DIE ANY loving MORE. Seriously counting the TV show Gotham this is literally the third time in five loving years that we've seen it happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLufzaOlIIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XB2z2HQBsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3lys6bJ-qE
and that's not even counting the video games and animated movies. One of the best parts about the MCU's use of Spider-man is that we didn't get any Uncle Ben, that doesn't mean it didn't happen, but we don't see it, And it makes sense why, Because what happens after is so much more interesting.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 6, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Relevant Tangent posted:

The Color Out of Space is incredibly pretty, does body horror really well, and is probably the best Lovecraft movie ever made.

Is that going to show up on streaming this weekend or do I have to wait a little while? I've been interested in it since it was announced.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
drat, ah well give me an excuse to watch Con Air and Mandy again. I watched Face/Off for the upteenth time last weekend.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
F9: I believe there is one person who can summarize my response to this movie and that person is Killer Mike of The Insane Clown Possie:
"Fuckin' magnets how do they work?"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So A Video Game related Double Feature

Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie I was high as gently caress when I watched it so I spent the entire viewtime trying to imagine a dark and gritty take on franchise. Also Bison in this was less of a gigachad than his live action counterpart in that he actually remembers killing Chun Li's Dad. 6/10

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Fantastic Jim Carrey stole the film, but proud warrior idiot Knuckles was something of an inspired choice. 8/10

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The Menu ?/10 I'm not sure if I should be pleasantly suprised or dissapointed by the lack of cannibalism in the film.

Hakaider 7/10 Tokusatsu Robot Guy Fawkes blows up Parliament and saves Jesus Town. I'm so glad I was stoned for this movie. Trash but fun trash.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 26, 2023

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Data Graham posted:

Samuel L Jackson must have wanted to play a Bond villain his whole life, but whose idea was that lisp? It really does not work

As I understand it the lisp is an actual speech impediment that Jackson has been working around his entire career.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Dune part 2

TFW your mother and unborn baby sister gaslight an army of religious fundamentalists into waging a galaxywide genocidal campaign in your name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Data Graham posted:

Mad Max - man what a bunch of delirious chaos. Even when I can understand everything everyone is saying none of it makes sense. Nightrider just constantly shrieking his self-aggrandizing monologue for what seems like an hour without ever letting the adrenaline drip stop flowing apparently. The bike gang just casually climbing all over the walls and doing handstands in the background and ballroom dancing with each other, I just have to wonder how much was intentional and how much was just "everybody just act insane constantly and we'll shoot what we can till the cops show up. Go see Larry in craft services if you're short on cocaine"

Miller bit off a little more than he could chew at the time by trying to make a bunch of guys on motorcycles seem like a credible physical threat against such adversaries as "a giant supercharged V8 musclecar" and "a guy with a shotgun and unlimited ammo" when in reality they'd struggle to stay upright against "a 2x4 in the road"

Mostly what I think this franchise has in spades—and maybe it's its whole appeal ultimately—is the utter incoherence and absence of worldbuilding and backstory. poo poo is just dire for unknown reasons and you're not supposed to think about it. Is this a post-apocalyptic wasteland because of oil shortages? If so then why is there just a casual fuel tanker tooling around and unprotected against the rampaging fuel hordes? Why is there a construction crew hauling a Caterpillar grader up a steep hill as though infrastructure is getting built somewhere nearby? Why are there still carefree bucolic suburban homes and ice cream stands and classic-car hobbyists with cool paint jobs and mechanics to work on them when you have these rape gangs just looting the countryside? How is there a legal system with space for trenchant Dirty Harry commentary about evil crooked lawyers springing obviously guilty bad guys from prison because of :airquote: due process :airquote: when the police station is a bombed-out ruin with two guys doggedly manning the phones? It's all just so wild and ridiculous. And that's probably why it got so popular, it makes you feel like it knows something you don't. You can watch it totally brainlessly and enjoy the smash-ups, or you can try to churn through it cerebrally and you'll get nowhere but feel like there's something just out of reach.

The idea, I think, is Mad Max takes during the collapse, and we are seeing it from the perspective of somewhere on the edge of civilization.