Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Dune Part 2 : more of the same. But when it's more of a movie that was in my top 3 of the year it came out, that's not a complaint! Great character work, some amazing shots and the sound was less intrusive this time around. An all timer of a sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

American Graffiti - Based on the dialogue in Star Wars, I hadn't expected George Lucas to write such believable, genuine characters; from the very first scene the movie is willing to leave lines unsaid, to let implications hang in the air or be suggested with just some physical acting. If a character says something that seems forced or rings untrue, it's because it written to be that way; when the characters are genuine, they're believable. Maybe his imagination and ability to realize a world becomes more grounded when he's evoking his own past instead of a fantasy, maybe it's just the differing genres of American Graffiti and Star Wars, or maybe George Lucas just gets worse as writer as his ages and his career changes. Notably, Wikipedia suggests it was editors that gave the film's narratives their intertwined nature, whereas George had originally intended to go through them all linearly, which doesn't sound like it would have been nearly as good. Regardless, relative to his later work it's such an effective, subtle, and cheaply made movie that it makes me wonder what else we might have gotten out of George Lucas if the increasing spectacle of Star Wars hadn't consumed essentially the rest of his film making career.

Yeah his sci Fi movie THX1138 is Logan's Run, Soylent Green and 1984 with the serial numbers filed off but it's a much more coherent movie than the Star Wars Prequels. Makes you wonder what could have been for sure

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Last Remake of Beau Geste : Marty Feldman directing a slapstick "Airplane!" style takedown of a Gary Cooper foreign-adventure-romance flick ("Beau Geste," natch) and throwing all the gags he can at it. Even includes a Harold Lloyd-style silent movie section where the hapless Digby (played by Marty himself) is trying to escape prison and all the guards are helping him do so. Ann-Margaret doing her sultry best, a real shocker of a turn by James Earl Jones, a whos-who of comedic and character actors and just a goofy as hell movie that for some reason didn't stick in the brains of people like "Airplane!" did even though it has some of the same Looney Tunes energy

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gran Turismo: Neil Blomkamp ditching sci Fi for a racing film sounded like a bad idea but the results are pretty solid. Probably the best racing has looked since Days of Thunder. And, as the marketing was so keen to point out, it's based on a true story. Beyond that it's still a good sports movie, underdog cliches and all. Great drone shots in this, just some dazzling aerials

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Blockers: a comedy with John Cena so I had to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. The parents being the focus made this a bit different from most teen sex comedies and it's fairly chaste for a movie about teens trying to bone down. Cena buttchugs a 40oz of Colt 45 (at least half of it). Hannibal Burress is... in this movie for 10 seconds. Gary Cole hangs dong and is married to Gina Gershon. It's weird and nasty but also goes way too long with the schmaltzy moralizing, still worth a watch for Cena's performance.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Challengers - No, Zendaya does not get Eiffel Towered as the Brazzers-worthy promotional material would suggest (would have to be NC-17 box office poison for that kind of thing anyways), but it’s sultry, sensational, and possibly the only Guadagnino film worth jack poo poo.

One of the best of the year so far.

I would beg to differ, Luca's "Suspiria" rocked my socks off

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"No, I'd jerk off" is one of the gnarliest laughs a movie's ever provoked from me.

Followed closely by the last line of the movie "I've come!"

ETA: saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. It was good, but still had the same problem as Afterlife where they had to shove in a reference every two seconds so you remember the older, better film.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Old Dads : dipped out of this one almost halfway as I couldn't stand being preached to by Bill Burr about how Millennials are Bad because Woke. This movie came out last year. Just painful and a waste of the talents of Bobby Canavale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Cephas posted:

I Saw I Saw The TV Glow. it's like if Twin Peaks and Are You Afraid of the Dark had a child.

I had the great displeasure of sitting in the same row as an older straight couple, who both scoffed in bafflement anytime a metaphor occurred on screen. When the movie was over I heard the man say "that was one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen." I wanted to say, "Harold, they're transgender!"

I think TV Glow is a good, but flawed, movie. There were parts of the film that really won my heart, but it seemed reticent to take any big risks. I think one big problem is the solipsism of the movie; there basically are no characters outside of Owen and Maddy. And well, Owen is dissociating most of the movie and Maddy is prone to disappearing, so that exacerbates things further. I think this dynamic compares unfavorably to a similar story, Serial Experiments Lain, which has some rich characterization even while exploring very similar territory about screen-mediated identity/dissociation/the blurring of realities.

It's also a movie where verrrrrry little happens, and where the characters have very little agency. This is really a PG-13 Mulholland Drive, but unlike Mulholland Drive, there are no events or meaningful action in the story. The film mostly consists of Owen and Maddy sitting or walking next to each other talking. I think the heavy use of monologues in the film are evidence of the tension between the characters having a lot of internality but no scenes through which they could express their internality on-screen.

I was really expecting more sick-rear end identity-switching, or reality-shifting, or some Twin Peaks red room surrealism. Something to play with the idea of "which side of the TV am I on?" Mister Melancholy is great though.

The overall horror metaphor that the film is built around is very striking, but it's also extremely on-the-nose. I dunno, good movie, a lot of style and charm, but the writing needed more time to cook.

I think I had a few of the same complaints about We Are All Going To The World's Fair, which had some real meat but it was buried in the rest of the film