Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

After all these years I finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. I love how it initially subverts the Tom Cruise trope of “guy who is good at his job” until he obviously becomes hyper-competent through constant trial and error. It’s a shame it has only lived on through word of mouth, as it’s really a fantastic movie that could’ve been a huge hit. Thought the climax was pretty underwhelming and waaaay too dark to see things well on my home television, but that’s my only complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Edge of Tomorrow just as good as the people recing it to me said it was. The only flaw is how Incredibly dark(brightness wise) the last third was.

I said this exact same thing earlier in the thread. I couldn’t tell if it was my TV or the movie but the entire climax of the movie was nearly impossible to see. Makes me wish I had seen it in the theater way back when. Real “The Long Night” from s8 of Game of Thrones vibes. That’s my only complaint though because it’s a great movie. I don’t think anyone but Tom Cruise could’ve ever played that character.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Monkeybone - A very interesting movie that could’ve been amazing if it had a bigger budget and more room to breathe. I went in thinking it would have a harder plot to follow, but it’s very straightforward start to finish. Brendan Frasier is amazing in it. Bridget Fonda brings a shocking amount of depth to what could be a very shallow character. And when Chris Kattan (being chased by Bob Odenkirk as a very persistent doctor) shows up, he brings one of the greatest bits of physical comedy I’ve ever seen in a film. Not sure what the point of John Turturro as the titular character was, as they just pitched up his normal voice and called it a day. Too bad they front-loaded most of the interest stop motion and puppetry, as the movie really can’t decide if it wants to be a trippy work of art of a typical 90s farce. Poor Henry Sellick deserved better.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Also saw Bottoms. I really loved it. You can’t really compare it to Superbad, or Heathers, or even [spoiler]Fight Club[/b]. It’s so much more outlandish and cartoonish than I was prepared for. It’s more like a more low-key and significantly gayer Not Another Teen Movie. I’m already telling everyone to see it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Spielberg does not miss

Tell that to Ready Player One.

Fabelmans is great though and sadly didn’t get the recognition it deserved. I bet it would be much bigger if it came out this year.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The point of Maverick is “what if they filmed cool planes doing cool poo poo in a cool way” and it delivers in spades. (But yes your critique is very valid because the story is very whatever to me.)

Last night I saw a 35mm print of Evil Dead II. I saw the first movie and Army of Darkness when I was a teenager 20 years ago, but somehow never caught the second film even though it’s widely considered the best one.

I thought it was very clever the way they TL;DR’d the first movie as an intro to II. And frankly, the whole thing was a really fun time. It was weird being in an audience that was 90% goony men — the theater genuinely smelled terrible. But they were hooting and hollering and making it a very fun experience. It was more or less exactly what I expected it to be, which is not a bad thing as I love Raimi. Seeing it in a sold out theater on film was the ideal experience though (smell aside).

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

One of the worst legacy sequel offenders I’ve seen lately is Hocus Pocus 2. It came and went without any impact at all. It was actually well written, and the cast was still putting effort into it, but the whole thing was shot and edited like a commercial. The first isn’t some classic masterpiece, but it’s a fun movie that’s filmed in real streets and good sets and actually feels like a film. The sequel just looks cheap and every set looks fake and the teenage protagonists have no discernible personalities. Just content for the content machine.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I've never seen Mandy but now I want to watch it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

BOTTOMS : not quite the raunchy answer to American Pie but a really good, hilarious counterpoint that lesbians can be stupid about sex too. Marshawn Lynch has no business being this funny, but it works. A mashup of Fight Club, Mean Girls and a dozen other movies that still has tons of charm and grit and all of that. Loved this .

Probably the closest point of comparison this movie has is actually Not Another Teen Movie.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Doing a free week of Paramount+ so I can finally watch Dead Reckoning. But instead I decided to watch Good Burger 2. I turned it on out of curiosity but ended up watching the whole thing.

It's actually surprisingly good and I found myself laughing throughout it. Kenan definitely called in some favors from friends because it's full of little cameos and SNL alum. There are some solid jokes throughout and it actually felt like a real movie (as opposed to Hocus Pocus 2 which was filmed like a Super Bowl commercial). Kind of a shame it came and went to zero notice. My expectations were incredibly low so that could be why I ended up liking it.

Honestly the weakest part is Kel Mitchell himself. You can tell the dude is out of practice and it's easy to see why he didn't get the success that Kenan did. It doesn't help that Ed is a character that has no business being a middle-aged man. But even he still made me laugh on multiple occasions.

All in all, one of the better legacy sequels I've seen. I recommend it if you were a fan of the original and/or All That. It's only 90 minutes.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

American Fiction : pulls a little bit of Kaufman out of its rear end at the end but is a wonderful combo of the movie you saw in the trailers and a touching family drama you didn't. Sterling K Brown and Jeffrey Wright need to be together more often. A nice, if dated, idea that manages more laughs per minute than other satirical movies in recent history

Yeah I went in hearing that the trailers were kind of misleading so I was expecting the movie to be secretly like really ridiculous and weird ala Sorry to Bother You, but instead it was actually way more grounded and heartfelt than all that. Great movie with a phenomenal cast doing their best work. It balances out both things really well and ends up being pretty drat cohesive in the end.

Speaking of movies that were much different than I expected, I finally watched Phantom Thread for the first time. Based on what I’d heard, I spent years thinking the whole movie was basically just two characters over one night and one of them poisoned the other to death. Poison ended up playing a MUCH smaller role in the plot than I thought it would. Though obviously still significant. But instead it was much bigger and complicated than that, with their relationship taking a lot of twists and turns in the lengthy time that the film spans. All time performance from DDL, but Vicky Krieps was phenomenal. I’m surprised she has mostly escaped being swallowed up by Hollywood.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I only finally got around to The Village like a year ago or so. It was… fine. Adrien Brody’s character aged even more poorly than his SNL rasta bit. Couldn’t stop thinking about Tropic Thunder the whole time.

Drive Away Dolls — This ended up being much wackier and more light-hearted than I expected. A pure Coen plot but without the edge most of their movies have, and I don’t mean that as a bad thing. It’s very successful in what it’s trying to do. There are still pops of violence, but they’re pretty PG-13. (Even the decapitated head gets only a few seconds of screen time.)

The two leads were really great and I can’t wait to see more of what they get up to. Somehow I’ve missed everything Geraldine Viswanathan has even been in, but she was spectacular. Qualley was great too and really carried the film through endless charisma, essentially doing an homage to Clooney in O Brother.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Just got out of Love Lies Bleeding. Truly had no idea where the plot was going to go beat-by-beat so there were tons of surprises along the way. The trailers definitely caught the vibe of the film. Very neo noir. Very accurate depiction of the era (not sure if they say a specific year, but it’s gotta be 1989/1990). And a wild ending that left me a bit agape.

Vague ending spoilers: it feels like they didn’t know how to really write the ending of the movie, plot-wise, and things just get the right amount of weird to ease you out of the story instead of really resolving the various plots.

Big ending spoilers: I really didn’t get the end. She says the feds are going to be there any minute, but they just get away with a body in their truck? Part of me wonders if they actually both died there, and the last few minutes are just a fantasy, but I hate that kind of cop out. There was too much stuff about the FBI throughout the movie for it to seemingly not matter at the very very end. This is literally my only complaint, and it’s actually much minor than it seems because the emotional stories were resolved.

GIANT ending spoiler:

Data Graham posted:

I felt like it had a lot of The Beach in it really

I never thought about this but it’s actually the best comparison I’ve seen. I saw the Beach when I was only like 11, but it weirdly stuck with me all these years. Midsommar left a VERY similar impression on me in terms of general tone and plot. Good catch.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Honestly I just like that Dastmalchian got to be in a movie where his character is a handsome, charming guy instead of a weird freak. (Well, he's kind of a weird freak for good ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Obvious Child (2014)
A fantastic film that I can’t believe doesn’t get talked about more often. I remember hearing about it when it came out — the Jenny Slate movie about abortion. I heard good things but then it seemed to completely disappear from the zeitgeist. Despite the subject matter, it still manages to be a pretty cute indie romcom. Great performances from everyone. I was especially pleased to see Jake Lacy playing the exact opposite of his character on White Lotus. Plus there was surprise Richard Kind and David Cross. I feel like no one makes these kinds of indie dramedies anymore (understandably, as it is a difficult genre to pull off right). It is very millennial, and it is very earnest.