Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
does anyone make a power strip that can be turned off remotely like this one except instead of a remote its a homekit button so i can do it from the train

there should be one

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C01008/

poty fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would like it if some women shaved their public hair into a really aggressive landing strip and called it a power strip. like basically a vagina mohawk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Tiny countertop dishwasher that only washes one set of bachelor dishes (spoon, bowl, and star wars cup) and also connects to a phone for some reason.

they're half way there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1TrC7SuN4s

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i edited my post with the link to the thing i was talking about. this will surely improve the advice i get

poty
Jun 21, 2008

googling i found this but it only has 3 outlets which is pretty useless

https://www.koogeek.com/p-o1eu.html

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i guess i could also use a normal power strip but plugging it through this thing to the wall

https://www.evehome.com/en/eve-energy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
maybe Sarnsung will introduce Zoll as an animated assistant

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

French Canadian posted:

Tiny countertop dishwasher that only washes one set of bachelor dishes (spoon, bowl, and star wars cup) and also connects to a phone for some reason.

metrics

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Its a shame commercial dishwashers are so inefficient and expensive to run. you can get bachelor sized ones.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

zoll, could i see a hat wobble?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

power botton posted:

Its a shame commercial dishwashers are so inefficient and expensive to run. you can get bachelor sized ones.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dishwasher-rebellion-1530116900

quote:

Dishwashing cycle times have become dramatically worse under DOE standards, resulting in a drop in consumer satisfaction. A survey of 11,000 dishwasher owners by GE Appliances shows that cycle time is one of the four biggest reasons consumers are dissatisfied with the performance of their dishwashers. DOE itself has acknowledged this is caused by its regulations, saying: “To help compensate for the negative impact on cleaning performance associated with decreasing water use and water temperature, manufacturers will typically increase the cycle time.”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i would like it if some women shaved their public hair into a really aggressive landing strip and called it a power strip. like basically a vagina mohawk

vagina Mohawk would be a good hacker name

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

oh boy, this goes deep immediately.
Libertarian think tank pushes for new class of turbo-speed dishwashers and then the NPRM comments are nonstop boomers complaining about how their dishwasher from 1983 worked just fine even when you threw an entire cake in there and now they have to sit around staring at their dishwasher for it to finish and this is yet another example of government overreach and we need to repeal this law to Bring Appliance Manufacturing Back To America And Make Dishwashers Great Again!

Ronald Kuether posted:

Dishwashers are like electric cars, waste energy and inefficient. We have much energy, and if Clinton didn't give away 25% of our nuclear energy we would even have more.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
god

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

power botton posted:

commercial dishwashers are more like sterilizers than cleaning machines. you have to fill them and start a gas burner underneath, but once they are running you can clean hundreds of dishes in a few hours. you do have to get anything that adheres to them off though, or you'll need to clean them again.

source: i spent a lot of time working in commercial kitchens in my teenage years because my friend's mom was a caterer. probably illegally, because i'm pretty sure that, as a 14 and 15 year old, i couldn't work from 8 in the morning on a saturday until 1 in the morning on a sunday (in a few cases, not on a regular basis). made a lot of money for a kid though

e: cleaning the perforated trays that caught bits of food in those commercial machines at the end of the night was painful. they were hot as gently caress, and you'd better not put them back cockeyed or they would fall into the extremely hot water reservoir and you'd have to fish them out

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 31, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

unironically hoping for hdmi 2.1 av receivers

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
AV receivers are great if you love input lag.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

qirex posted:

unironically hoping for hdmi 2.1 av receivers

love to watch tv by turning on 5 different devices

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

poty posted:

i guess i could also use a normal power strip but plugging it through this thing to the wall

https://www.evehome.com/en/eve-energy

Yeah I made my home a smart-home by buying like 4 of these and now alexa can turn off and on my patio lights and my window AC and a few lamps.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I honestly can not find any easy to use and fairly inexpensive smart lightswitches that don't need some stupid base-station or take up a whole panel.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my lights turn on/off by convenient switches placed throughout my home

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
If you've got an FTDI adapter lying around, there's a firmware replacement for cheap devices with an ESP8266 in them that lets you do a whole lot more with them, including MQTT which lets you duct-tape it to HomeKit with HomeBridge.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
did the company that made that smart fork go out of business yet

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah but what if those convenient switches also connected to wifi. maybe put a tiny screen on em.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

my parents have 5 alexas now. 5. they're linked together in what i believe my dad referred to as a 'swarm'. it's incredible.

i felt like a hipster explaining that i thought they were kinda creepy and that i spend enough time with technology and at the end of the day i just kinda want to do things the good old fashioned way.

also the bright and shiny future is a lie, the baubles are a distraction. embrace what we have of the good old world while we still can.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the world is dead and all modern tech is garbage

it's ads all the way down

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lambert posted:

fart

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lambert posted:

toot

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lambert posted:

unless I get paid 2 game…lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lambert posted:

greasy diarrhea noises

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

greasy diarrhea noises
new 2019 sig is looking good (if a bit minimal)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

greasy diarrhea noises

dsyp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lambert posted:

this post is from 2006

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

qirex posted:

this post is from 2006

It's very much true in 2019.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lambert posted:

It's very much true in 2019.

it shouldn't be unless you're doing something stupid like upscaling in the receiver

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

it shouldn't be unless you're doing something stupid like upscaling in the receiver

seriously, my 2010 era receiver has passthrough mode

earc in hdmi 2.1 is good though, since you won't need a new receiver if you get a display that supports a newer video format

variable refresh rate is good too and the one thing that makes me want to upgrade to a new display. the handful of tvs that support it right now are laughably bad though, with a pathetic range of 48 to 60hz in 4k mode

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1080546641176915968

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I am extremely excited for CESpool 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I bought a ge thing with a steam cycle to replace the hateful sears piece of poo poo that has been plaguing my house for the last 10 years and let me tell you that steam button is never going to get turned off because its great

• Locked thread