Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I suppose Japanese 'pinku' films could serve as a comparison, given how restricted life is over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Gestapo's Last Orgy is insane. Some of the worst stuff in it isn't as brazen on screen as you'd expect but between that and how it's described and discussed by the characters - which I assume disappointed some people who saw it back in the day when at one point it was released with the title "Caligula, Reincarnated as Hitler!" - it really still is an unbearably ghastly movie. I think part of it too is that while it's obviously a very cheap movie like the other Nazi exploitation movies of the time it's JUST well made enough and takes itself seriously enough that it's hard to dismiss as easily as stuff like the Ilsa movies.

The way Gestapo's Last Orgy and some of the other Nazi exploitation movies are framed, it was less that they thought Nazis were sexy at first, and that it really began as way to "legitimize" the exploitative trash in the movies themselves. Same reason so many Nazi exploitation movies open with some sage quote from Nietzsche or whatever. Like this isn't trash you're watching, it's uh, uhm, historical fiction! You can see the same thing in Europe with all of sleezy movies with titles like "Housewife Report" that are framed like a documentary about suburban life or how lots of Category 3 films are set in the distant past. All three of these were sold with an important distinction from other exploitation movies. You weren't told you were going to see shocking stuff, you were told you were going to see shocking TRUE STORY THIS IS HOW IT REALLY WENT DOWN IN REAL LIFE stuff.

I never understood the mindset myself, but maybe they wanted to balance a line of being as nasty as possible while still giving folks a subtle out to see it without feeling guilty about it or something?

But the western fetish with nazi style is completely suss-able. The Nazis were absolutely obsessed with sexual aesthetics and the power dynamics conveyed in turn, in a way that has influenced S&M culture for 80 years, and for some that type of fetish aesthetic is therapeutic for some weird reason. I dunno, trauma is a strange thing.

See part 2 of this essay by Susan Sontag, which is a classic if you've never read it

http://www.history.ucsb.edu/faculty/marcuse/classes/33d/33dTexts/SontagFascinFascism75.htm

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Also I recently watched The House That Jack Built and it's pretty much a textbook example of a contemporary exploitation film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This thread is good (thank you op), but it's going to get bad real fast if people keep arguing ad nauseum that their particular read of a film and its history is the definitive one. A little humility goes a long way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Does swap.avi count as a video nasty?

It's actually been at the center of censorship cases for at least a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I would love to see some citation if this is true. I definitely want to see THAT court case!

Well-spoken weirdo Ira Isaacs tried to use the virality of 2girls1cup in his defense for "artistic merit" of his shock videos during an obscenity trial; there was at least one mistrial in that case but then he was convicted to 5 years. The original "Hungry Bitches" video is by a Brazillian fetish director or something.