Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
This seems like a great thread topic to provoke holy wars, it's like the emacs of fading/scaling images while you scroll vs the vi of just give me the goddamn text you heathens.

I'm in the vi camp, I hate literally every modern web design trend. I hate grey-text-on-lighter-grey-background, I hate images changing while I scroll, I hate text over images, I hate images that contain the text so a search won't work, I hate when pages do some poo poo with the scrolling so as you scroll down the movement stalls and animates a thing rather than scrolling for a while, like one section of the scrollbar controls a timeline instead of the y-axis, I hate dynamic loading of more content as you scroll (again makes the page unsearchable), I hate forms that don't work and forms that almost work until you press the back button because they were naturally several pages but were instead implemented as one page with ajax. Oh, and I hate anything being slideshows or videos.

So in answer to your question 2, yes, a "contact us" link, made of text, present on every page, where the text includes one of "contact", "support" or "help", is pretty important for a business, but is a horrible idea for any sort of solo operation because people will contact you and it will be an annoying waste of time approximately every time. I totally understand why companies try to filter these out by making the user jump through hoops of "perhaps this automated choose-your-own-adventure help system will answer your question" or "have you tried asking THE COMMUNITY?" because people are dumb and won't look for the answer themself if you don't force them to, but it's still annoying as gently caress when what you want to contact them about is something like "you shipped me the wrong thing" where obviously you're not going to be able to self-serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU