Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
whistling into a payphone, hacking into a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Or that it was being fishmeched again

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

spankmeister posted:

Or that it was being fishmeched again

and it will be fishmeched again in the future. fishmeching never ends.

in secfuck news apparently bevmo was storing entire CC numbers because PCI auditors are good at their jobs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

and it will be fishmeched again in the future. fishmeching never ends.

in secfuck news apparently bevmo was storing entire CC numbers because PCI auditors are good at their jobs.

lmbevmo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Zero day poo poo posting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thread remounted -rw

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Remember when that company got hacked and released all our information and turbo hosed us all? 2019 will be different, for sure.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Remember when that company got hacked and released all our information and turbo hosed us all? 2019 will be different, for sure.

2019 will be the year of secure companies and good fishmech posting.

Maybe.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

flakeloaf posted:

video cards are worse

the number does not tell you which one is faster and there's no reason for it

nvidia G92 silicon appeared in like 4 GPU gens
(8800GT, 9800GT, GT150, GT250)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

video cards are worse

the number does not tell you which one is faster and there's no reason for it
have you looked at intel CPU’s?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

do you guys really have difficulties understanding intel and nvidia model numbers

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Yes? Quickly, is 2700X better than 9700K? gently caress knows!

I dream of a world where device performance is measured in Universal Work Units or UWUs, so we can have a single metric to compare them against.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EssOEss posted:

Yes? Quickly, is 2700X better than 9700K? gently caress knows!

I dream of a world where device performance is measured in Universal Work Units or UWUs, so we can have a single metric to compare them against.

this is irrelevant to the argument

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do you guys really have difficulties understanding intel and nvidia model numbers

The numbering systems change between generations so you can have a higher number with lower performance (say 2060RTX vs 1080Ti) or vice versa. Usually Nvidia stays within their 50 60 70 80 system but sometimes they change that too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

The numbering systems change between generations so you can have a higher number with lower performance (say 2060RTX vs 1080Ti) or vice versa. Usually Nvidia stays within their 50 60 70 80 system but sometimes they change that too.

well yeah that's a generation thing, 2080 Ti is more powerful than 1080 Ti. generation leaps on nvidia usually are 1 model relative shift, e.g. 2060 is equal to or better than 1070. still, both for nvidia and intel there seldom are reasons to buy previous generation consumer products

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

well yeah that's a generation thing, 2080 Ti is more powerful than 1080 Ti. generation leaps on nvidia usually are 1 model relative shift, e.g. 2060 is equal to or better than 1070. still, both for nvidia and intel there seldom are reasons to buy previous generation consumer products

Now imagine you're a normal person.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Now imagine you're a normal person.

you are not buying individual computer parts then.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

debatably, you may not even be aware of what computer parts are there and what they do. mediamart had a discount and the shop clerk was cool? bought.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's all ignoring that this purportedly normal person will have some usecase wherein they must be able on the spot to identify the better model and cannot afford to spend 30 seconds on due dilligence googling, and that i was asking about people who regularly post in this thread and not my grandmother who won't be able to tell a difference between a cpu case and a cinderblock

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

except this is very untrue with the price leap in the latest nvidia generations, and the very minor performance gains of the latest intel generations

but, w/e, most people will not be comparison-shopping specific intel cpu's to start with, i'm a huge nerd and even i don't bother keeping much track

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, you mean normal people don’t spend time staring at Intel Ark?

Am, am I not ...normal?

:ohdear:

no, it’s the consumers who are wrong...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

except this is very untrue with the price leap in the latest nvidia generations, and the very minor performance gains of the latest intel generations

but, w/e, most people will not be comparison-shopping specific intel cpu's to start with, i'm a huge nerd and even i don't bother keeping much track

guess why i put "seldom" in there, mr. einstein. intel performance gains over last generation, however, are a reasonably stable, known quantity, and its not the problem of the cpus that average consumer cannot make full use of them

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Captain Foo posted:

Thread remounted -rw

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my dude can you tell the clock + cores from a Xeon model number? I sure as gently caress can’t.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

my dude can you tell the clock + cores from a Xeon model number? I sure as gently caress can’t.

enterprise stuff no, i have no idea about

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lol I used to be be able to, but that was last year and I was buying hardware like mad.

Xeon skus make no loving sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

marketing fuckup

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Sorry I mentioned computer model numbers.
Hey, how about them viruses?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
virus model numbers are pretty boring tbh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao what is this bullshit fedex:

WARNING: YOU HAVE ENTERED A STRONG PASSWORD!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh my god the fedex signup process keeps getting better

of course i want to take a fun exam about me :allears:

what great questions! anyway time to submit and see how I did...

:bravo:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

lmao what is this bullshit fedex:

WARNING: YOU HAVE ENTERED A STRONG PASSWORD!!!!

taking their cue from the error sounds POS terminals make when it’s ok to remove your card

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually i cut out two of the questions because i thought they were boring but i just realized something: one was "what car have you owned" and the options were like "porsche" and "lamborghini" and... "nissan"

gosh i wonder which one it could be :thunk:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

thats a service that i believe expirian runs, other companies can use it to verify identity
as you can see it works as well as the rest of their it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

duz posted:

thats a service that i believe expirian runs, other companies can use it to verify identity

yeah i've run into it when getting a credit report before, but this is the first time it's had questions and answers that were quite this stupid

also the first time it failed on submit lmao

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

actually i cut out two of the questions because i thought they were boring but i just realized something: one was "what car have you owned" and the options were like "porsche" and "lamborghini" and... "nissan"

gosh i wonder which one it could be :thunk:

you know theres someone else out there for whom it said toyota chevy ford and aston martin and that guy had the same reaction as you

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Any suggestestions which 35C3 talks to watch?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

duz posted:

*experian voice* MY WIFE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the last time I used one of those it asked me to pick an address I had previously lived at. all the possibilities were hundreds of miles away and it took me a while to remember that one of them was my college apartment from 15 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the good news is that if you were a hacker you'd have no trouble answering those questions because the possible answers are all part of complete identities they sell!