Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

tbf those have non-naize uses and the cloudfront complaint is about shielding stormfront or 8chan or somethingawful or some other site I can't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm not sure you want to live in a country that has a law requiring DNS filtering, because it will eventually be used to block all sorts of things not originally described, there's no oversight, and even if you don't circumvent it by using any other DNS provider but the one your ISP has, it's not actually effective according to a study published a while back.
Well, that's how it worked out in :denmark:

browsers will start opting in to dns over tls/https if we start getting to that point

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why can't someone who is just like me and agrees with all of my ideas just censor the internet? :mad:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

tbf those have non-naize uses and the cloudfront complaint is about shielding stormfront or 8chan or somethingawful or some other site I can't remember

all three at the same time in fact!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Why can't someone who is just like me and agrees with all of my ideas just censor the internet? :mad:

yeah, who would have thought it would be this hard to force random corporations obey my exact censorship demands

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

you can't block nazi sites because no one is willing to block the internet

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is 9.9.9.9 good?

:ohdear:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Is 9.9.9.9 good?

:ohdear:

It's fine as long as you don't mind your dns being run by law enforcement.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I use it for all my stuff and am happy with it. Dipshit roommate hasn't gotten any viruses since I configured it on the router

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's obviously not about their DNS not blocking sites or whatever. It's about their choice in clients for their paid ddos protection services. They have taken, and take money from sites like stormfront, 8chan, the daily stormer, etc and protect(ed) their internet presence. When called out on this they claim there just infrastructure and are not about censorship.

In my opinion, when you're protecting sites it's not about censorship, it's about what kind of clientele you decide to actively protect.

Cloudflare has excellent service, I just don't think that they as a company deserve anyone's patronage. I will mention this whenever someone asks about cloudflare. Do with this information what you will.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
what i will do with the information is nothing, because i buy cloudflare's argument.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you wanna be infrastructure? fine, we'll heavily regulate you like a utility then fucker

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

spankmeister posted:

It's obviously not about their DNS not blocking sites or whatever. It's about their choice in clients for their paid ddos protection services. They have taken, and take money from sites like stormfront, 8chan, the daily stormer, etc and protect(ed) their internet presence. When called out on this they claim there just infrastructure and are not about censorship.

In my opinion, when you're protecting sites it's not about censorship, it's about what kind of clientele you decide to actively protect.

Cloudflare has excellent service, I just don't think that they as a company deserve anyone's patronage. I will mention this whenever someone asks about cloudflare. Do with this information what you will.

I’m honestly curious how you distinguish between Cloudflare’s services from Google or Amazon providing ddos protection?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spankmeister posted:

well, you can say it's not about censorship, but the protection that cloudflare provides allows these sites to exist. that's why cloudflare working with them is significant.

i don't disagree that it'd be great if sites like that went away, but i don't think you should want a random corporation to start playing morality police in this way. their opinions of what sites should and should not exist won't always match up with your own.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
not all nazis are bad right, its just "your view"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the ceo of cloudflare wrote some words when they terminated the daily stormer, the majority of which I agree with: https://blog.cloudflare.com/why-we-terminated-daily-stormer/

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Celexi posted:

not all nazis are bad right, its just "your view"

Who gets defined as a “nazi” can differ greatly from person to person. There are plenty of fundies out there that think Planned Parenthood is doing Holocaust 2.0.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Who gets defined as a “nazi” can differ greatly from person to person. There are plenty of fundies out there that think Planned Parenthood is doing Holocaust 2.0.

what if it's people who self-identify nazis, such as, i don't know, the people on self-identifying nazi website the daily stormer

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shame Boy posted:

what if it's people who self-identify nazis, such as, i don't know, the people on self-identifying nazi website the daily stormer

well you see but then you'd have to ban all types of "nazis" and you can't as that would be censorship

also 1st ammendment

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Marcus hutchins pleads guilty re. kronos malware

https://www.malwaretech.com/public-statement

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Plea deal pdf here

https://twitter.com/itsybitsydots/status/1119331518441123841

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

browsers will start opting in to dns over tls/https if we start getting to that point
You say that, but it's from 2005.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
dnssec over tls/https has a nice ring to it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I use it for all my stuff and am happy with it. Dipshit roommate hasn't gotten any viruses since I configured it on the router
that’s not a nice way to talk about your partner FYI

also in other news:

https://twitter.com/malwaretechblog/status/1119322882578866176?s=21

my guess is everyone recognizes they can’t prove much but they let him side if if he doesn’t embarrass the AUSA

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 19, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

you wanna be infrastructure? fine, we'll heavily regulate you like a utility then fucker

ah yes, those famously heavily regulated companies who definitely don't do crimes all the time, your local utility providers

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

my guess is everyone recognizes they can’t prove much but they let him side if if he doesn’t embarrass the AUSA

hes only getting off lightly by insane US standards, he faces up to 10 years (if served consecutively) + half a mil fine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

yeah, good time to pull that old saw out

first they came for the nazis and i was like "thats kinda lame to do that, what if they came for someone else :("

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

first they came for the nazis and i was like "thats kinda lame to do that, what if they came for someone else :("

reminder: the guy u just quoted is a nazi himself

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

we’ve already decided that jihadis and or sex workers are ok to censor

why are nazis where the bright line is drawn tho

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nazis serve the interests of the state

same reason why white supremacist mass shooters and/or bombers are always lone wolves rather than terrorists

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

these days cloudflare assiduously forward all complaints upstream, pretty much regardless of their legal merit, and are also responsive to requests from foreign law enforcement / govts that content be geo-blocked in accordance with their own local laws. not only does putting your site behind cloudflare not shield you from legal complaints you'd normally get, it actually risks your content being made inaccessible by foreign countries who might otherwise have just been ignored by your upstream provider. it's a boon to those wishing to curb the jurisdictional arbitrage that underpins publishing objectionable content online

it's interesting - especially in light of some social networks' well publicised habit of making acceptable use rules up as they go along - that when cloudflare say "come back with a warrant (from anywhere lol)" some people's response is "stop requiring that and make these decisions yourself" rather than "why is such material not against the law"

pseudorandom name posted:

nazis serve the interests of the state

ding ding ding

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Krankenstyle posted:

The problem isn't censoring nazis the problem is censoring whoever random internet dude considers a nazi. ITT, youtube, reddit, somethingawful, facebook, twitter, and me, a pro-militant leftist someone who fishmech, a cop, has met once, are all nazis. So maybe there is a problem of overly broad definitions here.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 20, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The problem isn't censoring nazis the problem is censoring whoever random internet dude considers a nazi. ITT, youtube, reddit, somethingawful, facebook, twitter, and me, a pro-militant leftist someone who fishmech, a cop, has met once, are all nazis. So maybe there is a problem of overly broad definitions here.

Maybe not.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if only there were some sort of list, maybe aggregated by some kind of center studying laws related to poverty in the south

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shame Boy posted:

if only there were some sort of list, maybe aggregated by some kind of center studying laws related to poverty in the south

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/03/the-southern-poverty-law-center-is-everything-thats-wrong-with-liberalism

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

An oracle you say? Well poo poo if they are the unbiased and universal source of truth, why bother with freedoms at all?
e: removed non-sources of truth.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 20, 2019

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
another advantage of having upstream blocks on nazi sites is that there's a good chance something awful will also be caught in the filter

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's really not hard to block/ban Nazis when they self identify which was the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
not actively sheltering nazis is censorship now? when did that happen?