Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Yes? Quickly, is 2700X better than 9700K? gently caress knows!

I dream of a world where device performance is measured in Universal Work Units or UWUs, so we can have a single metric to compare them against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

That L3 security level is the "security through obscurity" variant which, no surprise to anyone, is vulnerable as hell if you try hard enough. Software obfuscation only. L2 and L1 are the security levels that try to actually involve OS/hardware in the protection.

Always happy to see DRM crumble but this might not be that big an achievement.

Then again, considering that only mobile devices get above L3 security, this is still something.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

sadus posted:

Oh boy "Hacking Chromecasts/Google Homes/SmartTVs Progress: 7893/123141 [6.40973%]"
http://casthack.thehackergiraffe.com/

What exactly is this hack? Surely it's not just "Chromecast listens for anonymous commands from the internet and asks UPnP to open the port"?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

geonetix posted:

yes. yes it is.

Turns out that no, Chromecast is fine and this is just lovely routers being lovely: https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1081000904688656386

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Pile Of Garbage posted:

chomecast having UPnP enabled by default: secfuck

No, not necessarily. What you say about Switft is true but he does address this - UPnP is a wide-ranging suite of standards and he says Chromecast does not use the "open a port" variant that the lay audience might normally associate with UPnP. Unless he is flat out wrong in his facts, Chromecast is in the clear here.

Other uses of UPnP are "media player" features. The Windows "Play To Device" function is UPnP, for example. I bet Chromecast does something in that style (Swift mentions SSDP, which is for finding devices).

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Celexi posted:

Lmao i'll never understand turbo nerds hate of upnp "THEY SHOULD HAVE TO CALL ME TO OPEN THE PORT ON THE ROUTER"

I wonder how they'll react when they realize what IPv6 does to this situation.

Edit: Oh, is this what is holding IPv6 adoption back?! :tinfoil:

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 6, 2019

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

ErIog posted:

how people deal with this situation on the compliance end of things in general because I imagine this situation is the state of most packages in most Linux distros.

I have only dealt with PCI DSS compliance so YMMV but PCI is NOT at all about "you can't have vulnerabilities". It is about "you need to be aware of vulnerabilities and address them in the proper way", where "the proper way" can just be "acknowledge they exist and accept the risk" (hopefully after verifying the risk is negligible).

For sure there are plenty of pointy haired bosses who just see it differently but tht's not compliance, that's incopetent bosses.

ErIog posted:

Is everyone just doing what ratbert suggested and compiling poo poo from source so they exchange known low/medium known CVE's with unknown zero days or is there a standard way people say, "This is the current state of things. It's not the best, but it's also just not that critical for our specific usage. This not only affects RHEL but also Debian. Considering the number of CVE's this package generates on a regular basis, I am not comfortable installing the most recent version in its untested state."

Or did I just answer my own question?

Sounds like you did. Compliance processes are there to try to force blissfully ignorant companies into acting with some awareness of the risks that affect them. Evaluating the CVEs and going "yeah we're good" is exactly the right approach for you, it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Keepass for life! Has anyone found the ideal way to configure it for Google Drive syncing? I have the following issues:

* On PC, sometimes Google Drive Google Backup and Sync will lock the password database, so Keepass will fail to save, yet Drive will also not unlock the file (presumably each waiting on the other). I have to restart Drive to get it to save and continue syncing.
* Sometimes, the Keepass database will just vanish from my Google Drive. I imagine it has to do with the different save modes and some race conditions and it was never a big issue (I can get it back from trash as soon as I notice it) but annoys me.
* On Android, I could never figure out how to get it to automatically pick up my saved changes and upload them back to Drive - it seems to act as read-only copy.