Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

yoloer420 posted:

Just lol at text messages being stolen by a government entity. When I worked for a large telco I had access to a database with every text message they'd processed in the last week.

We used it to debug delivery issues for large clients. There is no way that a government level actor would be needed for this sort of thing.

if you read between the lines of the various articles on this, particularly in the WaPo, bezos’ camp is trying to imply there’s a Saudi connection without directly saying it

it’s not implausible either, the post went hard on the coverage of the the kashoggi murder (since he was one of theirs) and leaked a ton of stuff from intelligence agencies that made the whole thing way more embarrassing for the crown prince

like there was a full month where saudi would issue a statement trying to wash their hands of it and the post would print an article the next day with some specific Turkish intelligence undermining their most recent explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

Your gender has been compromised in a data breach.

eh, that’s just the gender I used on some random forum account years ago, who cares

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
it’s not 2010 anymore password complexity requirements have gone up

Hunter2

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
the fake invoices thing is a little funny because it’s a case of everything old being new again

that sort of thing is like half the reason your accounts payable position exists to begin with

then, once the AP clerk determines the invoice is legitimate and the goods have been received, they put it in a pile until it’s at least 60 days overdue

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
if I was a nation state and I haven’t already owned mar a lago I’m definitely gonna do it like, next week

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
this guy founded Silk Road 2 but transferred ownership to Blake 2-3 months in - we know this for sure because one of the mods already on the staff at that point was FBI and had chatlogs lol

Blake got arrested like 9 months later, and apparently they got this guy around the same time but the trial took forever and wasn’t resolved til recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Why choose between burying the disclosure somewhere nobody will find it and burying the disclosure underneath some much bigger news? you can definitely do both.