Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the good news is that if you were a hacker you'd have no trouble answering those questions because the possible answers are all part of complete identities they sell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

svenkatesh posted:

Same but 4 years ago, at a Hilton Doubletree.

Don't think I've been to a hotel since then that did that.

a lot of places had them or backup in case of a phone line failure or whatever

i assume they’d just write down your number now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

can't you get something that just detects old windows viruses and says "don't forward these to your idiot coworkers"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

UPnP is straight garbage and i thought i was already dead in tyool 2019. i don't care how chomecast uses UPnP, the fact that it uses it at all is a huge loving red flag, even if it apparently "doesn't use it in a bad way."

everything intended for home use uses upnp so this is a battle you lost a long time ago

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

https://news.netcraft.com/archives/2019/01/10/gov-security-falters-during-u-s-shutdown.html

more cert fuckups from the US government: the people who handle cert renewal are furloughed, and poo poo's starting to fall apart

netcraft confirms it: US government is dying

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I use it for UART on windows and it is needs suiting

Better than screen or minicom imo

use tera term on windows

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

abigserve posted:

micro segmentation in the network is an incredibly dumb idea at best and actively detrimental to security at worst. I can make an effort post if required on this.

the only things in that space that looks like it could work atm is something like Consul which is, effectively, a bunch of ssl tunnels between your application components secured by client certs (as I understand it).

is anyone else here getting hammered by "data sovereignty" at work lately? Literally every meeting about a new architecture or application is stalled with 20 minutes of "where is the data located. why does it have to be located there. can we not have the data there???"

for some stuff it makes sense definitely but it's literally anything, we had a meeting about loving github get held up like that. I've tried requesting the paperwork on where, when, and why it's important but I never hear anything back besides very vague theoretical situations that border on conspiracy theories and in some cases literal xenophobia.

don't US/EU/China all have very different implications for your application and data retention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cell connections kick you off every couple hours depending on carrier so really you should always be ready for reconnects