Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hello fellow computer touchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://privacyinternational.org/si...onal%202018.pdf

How apps on Android share data with Facebook - even if you don't have a Facebook account

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

E: meh

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 11, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't think you trust
in my
self signed web certify

At least make it a haiku.

I don't think you trust
My self-signed certificate
The key looks nice though

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/11rcombs/status/1086531879178829824

They verify against a PGP key that they download over HTTP.

Edit: It gets better, apparently they roll their own PGP implementation too. And they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 19, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Celexi posted:

No threat model, no security bug. This is your last warning.

New thread title?

Anyway, the hardcoded key is 1024-bit DSA.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/11rcombs/status/1086559891542687744

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

January 11, 2015?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just remember that apparently, at Google you get promoted for "inventing and launching something new", and you get no reward for bugfixing and improving the user experience.

So every employee is launching their own little pet projects and that's how you get 3000 different Google chat apps.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

tbf I already have a google spy app on my phone.

It's called Android.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I almost missed this because of all the Facebook fuckery

https://www.zdnet.com/article/unsecured-mongodb-databases-expose-kremlins-backdoor-into-russian-businesses/

The exact same "admin@kremlin.ru" account was found on thousands of exposed MongoDBs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

DNA has 4 amino acids as it's alphabet, how do you encode an escape sequence? Like what the heck kind of processing is that lovely?

DNA has 4 different kinds of BASES as it's alphabet, with one more existing only in RNA.

These encode 20 different kinds of amino acids in most life forms (some weird ones have one or two unusual additional amino acids).

Pls read up on your biology before you start DNA hacking.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sereri posted:

cant wait to die from bitcoin mining

People being turned into bitcoin mining biocomputers makes more sense for the state people are in in The Matrix than "they are batteries".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ymgve posted:

he's probably not even doing anything prosecuteable, just downloading movies and gameslinux isos and the vpn is just a costly placebo

Actually one of the uses of my VPN is to visit American news sites that have started to block me because they don't agree with EU privacy laws. If you can tell me how I can access those without a VPN please let me know.

Like, half of the news links that're posted here on SA are unavailable to me without use of a VPN, and I like to keep informed.

Another important one is to give the ad companies - even if they managed to get through my tracking blocker - a harder time. I know the effect is minimal but every bit is better than nothing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fisting by many posted:

using vpns to get around region blocks that don't care about vpns is fine and great

it's just not on its own going to protect you from the law or an oppressive government; people who expect it will are being secfucks

Fully agreed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

Is it NPR where they say "Sorry, due to EU privacy laws you can't view our regular site" and then... offer you a link to the same article on their text-only site instead, which loads instantaneously and has no content on it other than the text of the article and is a hundred times better than any other current news site?
Those are the better ones. There's also the ones that throw a HTTP 451 and call it a day.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm glad you're happy with your threat model, but understand that it isn't everyone else's threat model.
That is a good point I hadn't considered.

On the other hand, Lain Iwakura just posting a couple times "VPN services are trash don't use them" without any sort of context isn't helpful to that thread at all and has only raised more questions. I would appreciate it if you or anyone else who can explain it well would make a seriouspost in that thread explaining WHY they are bad for many usecases.

mystes posted:

If you're just trying to get around sites that block European IPs because of GPRD or trying to protect your data over public wifi hotspots, you're probably better off just using algo to setup your own VPN on a VM on digitalocean or something.

Hmm, that's an idea worth considering.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aOY2OE2_460svvp9.webm

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They just said on the radio that the EU passed a law that says that third party companies are allowed to ask a bank account holder for permission to get access to their bank data, and in that case the bank must provide this data.

This includes all money transfers and card payment information (date, time, amount, company you paid to).

It is supposed to help out startups that offer online personal finance management apps. And they supposedly have all kinds of checks in place where companies using the bank data get regularly audited and stuff.

I can't see any way this could possibly go wrong...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Several password managers leave traces of their master password or individually accessed passwords in the Windows 10 memory, sometimes even after they've been locked. Someone with access to the computer could potentially extract those passwords from memory.

https://www.securityevaluators.com/casestudies/password-manager-hacking/

Dashlane and Keepass seem to be doing relatively well on this test.

Note: this is a rather esoteric way of attack and is not at all a reason to not use password managers. If someone installs a keylogger to your computer they can get access whether you have a password manager or not.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 19, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

When I was in high school in the 00s (in Europe) I got detention for bypassing the chat-blocking software and connecting to a chat server.

I asked the teacher why playing games on the school computers was ok (as long as nobody needed them for doing assignments) but chatting was not.

"Because internet chats is where you meet rapists and if you do that at home that's fine but the school doesn't want to be responsible for this."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The interesting thing is that if you read a text in a language like German or Dutch written in Shakespearean times, it's incredibly difficult to make sense of. It could as well be a completely different language. I read some Dutch historical texts and modern publications always come with both the original and a modern Dutch translation.

However, if you read Shakespeare, you don't really need any translation. Although the way of speaking has changed, the words are mostly the same.

As far as I know, this is because most languages, such as Dutch, updated their spelling as their pronunciation changed. English is the exception: it mostly kept the ancient spelling but the pronunciation changed, making the written and spoken language move away from each other further and further.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RichardA posted:

Fairly sure Carbon dioxide meant that ~400 year old Dutch/German is far harder to read for a modern Dutch/German reader than it is for a modern English reader to read ~400 year old English.

Exactly. The difference BETWEEN English and Dutch has nothing to do with it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_processor_flaw/

Again

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Inside Man is KnowBe4’s first custom network-quality video series that delivers an entertaining movie-like experience for your users and makes learning how to make smarter security decisions fun and engaging. From social engineering and passwords, to social media and travel, The Inside Man reveals how easy it can be for an outsider to penetrate your organization’s security controls and network.

https://www.knowbe4.com/inside-man

What's dis den?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This just popped up from 'Kee', the Keepass plugin for Firefox:

https://forum.kee.pm/t/kee-vault-and-kee-version-3-0/2025

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This entire website reads like a Trump campaign speech.