Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://privacyinternational.org/si...onal%202018.pdf

How apps on Android share data with Facebook - even if you don't have a Facebook account

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao if you even look in your applications folder and dont just cmd-space instead

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i don't see how i'm an idiot for calling poo poo what it is: poo poo. upnp is straight garbage, i accept that it has been adopted and exists and that the majority of problems are due to lovely implementation but that aside it's dumb trash!

lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

nah they're talking about the second item, not the knot gag. the second item is in fact an ovipositor, complete with egg mold for making your own gelatin eggs

i mean i'm no stranger to shoving weird things up my rear end so i'm not exactly in a position to judge but it seems like an... odd choice for a charity raffle taking place at a professional industry conference

It's a bit of a stretch to call DEFCON a "professional" industry conference, but yeah. Still a bit much.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

i mean don't most people who go do so because work paid for it? i think it sorta counts just based on that :shrug:

to be fair they are managing it fairly well - to see the things you have to hit a "show NSFW prizes" button on their raffle web page - but it definitely feels like a case of the ol' "nerds don't understand why other people might have a problem with sexuality being everywhere all the time"

The cost of DEFCON is not out of reach for most people. I paid my own way for years. Then when I worked at $BIG_BANK, they sent me to Black Hat every year and I just stayed the extra days to go to DEFCON and expensed it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LOL

https://twitter.com/duniel_pls/status/1093571155368296449?s=20

Also, they 404’d their client list.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think the latest one is code execution and has apparently been there for over 15 years or something.

e: fb ^^^ and yep.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

"Getting caught was an error on our part.”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grace Baiting posted:

school shooters' vision is based on object impermanence, you don't exist if they can't see you

Just like the T-Rex!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fishmech posted:

what the gently caress are you smoking to not understand what i said? why do you keep talking about entirely unrelated things?

Jesus gently caress, take your slap-fight to DMs. You're going to get yet another thread shut down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DrPossum posted:

what's uppercase dog?

Not much. What's uppercase with you?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lain Iwakura posted:

this is a lastpast-free zone

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Midjack posted:

zdr ghosted several months ago but returned just now citing a broken phone.

i’m sure it had nothing to do with lowtax calling him out in the thread.

Yeah, that was some really suspicious timing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Raere posted:

what did lowtax call him out about?

Begging him for money and then disappearing for months.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HAHAHA

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vapor Moon posted:

I don't get it.

The idea that a CISSP (aka “security expert” because they take a test) has no idea who cDc is pretty drat funny and also shows how loving useless paper experts are.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

I use 1.1.1.1 for my routers dns and it works great

Same.

I don’t know about their VPN, but note they have a free tier and a paid tier. The paid tier is supposedly faster, so I imagine there’s some kind of throttling going on with the VPN. They also spell out what information they collect (surprisingly little), but that might be down to your threshold of how much you believe corporations.

As always the answer is algo + Digital Ocean droplet if you need a VPN.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you've forgotten your gender, please click this button to have a temporary gender assigned.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Security Fuckup Megathread - v17.2 - your gender is broadcasting an IP address

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kassad posted:

The Dark Dork Web strikes again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pseudorandom posted:

Since it said "could", I'd assume this might be a case of logs including the websites for auto-fill requests from browser extensions. I'm willing to hope they're not dumb enough to not encrypt the whole database itself.

Yeah, that’s how I read it as well. They’re logging what sites are making the requests (which would piss me off as well).

I would think if you were pushing “secure your passwords”, the helper app would only pull directly from the local vault secured by your master key. If it’s a cloud based solution (like 1password), there’s really no need for the provider to do anything other than facilitate the transport and syncing of the vault to the local copy. The cloud vault is used for replication between different client apps (reconciliation should be handled by the client side apps). This is probably naive of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Looks like v18 thread about ready for release based on the last few pages.