Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

salted hash browns posted:

Unpopular opinion: Apple giving away iCloud encryption keys in PRC is going to cause far more human harm than Facebook or Google will ever do.

if you don’t consider rohingya human, sure. or goog’s party compliant search engine years in making, or their military programs, or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

but sorry i do forget that companies are people and our friends. everyone please stop being mean to facebook and google, apple bad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apseudonym posted:

None of them are your friends

you don’t have to tell that to me, im not american

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

apseudonym posted:

I regret this

no ragrets

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

anal: null pointer exception

literally piping into /dev/null

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In order to sell iPhones in China, Apple was required to make two concessions: 1) provide a censored version of the app store (no VPN apps) and 2) provide encryption keys to icloud backups in China to a state owned company. It got no press coverage in the US because everyone here waxes poetic about how good Apple is for privacy.

IMO people aren't willfully ignorant: they just don't know about it. All businesses are the same -- slightly different incentives but all have a price that they will sell out for.

Please tell me you recognize there is a HUGE difference between Apple willingly and knowingly handing over the keys to an oppressive regime vs. Facebook not being fast enough to police their own poo poo. At least Facebook is loving trying to fix poo poo, Apple just passed that poo poo over in China.

Like people at Apple had to look at each other and say "Yes we will hand over iCloud encryption keys to a PRC owned organization" for this to happen.

At least Facebook and Google said "no thank you" to operating in PRC over the exact same concern Apple seems to not give a poo poo about.

i love how facebook has been trying to fix their “friendly fraud” system driving fiscal engagement of 5 year old “whales” (quotes for facebook official lingo on subject matter) in monetised free to play games

calling out apple for china poo poo is a valid thing to do. saying that apple is bad or morally bankrupt , *unlike* google or facebook - that’s just outing yourself as naive or poorly informed fool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

People at Apple could have also chosen to revolt over management's decision to enter China.

But they didn't.

didn’t or didn’t take it public :thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

unbelievably savage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the point I’m trying to make is yes, monetizing children via micro transactions in lovely games is v bad, but not even comparable to what will happens to dissidents in PRC who use iMessage believing they are private and then being sent to re-education after getting snooped on.

I said Apple giving encryption keys to an oppressive regime will cause more human harm. PRC does not gently caress around here and the outcomes will be way worse than creepy advertising practices.

can’t wait for facebook to resurrect dead rohingyas i guess, seeing that they are fixing things

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no one is trying to justify FB doing dumb poo poo

have you seen your posts? also i love how all facebook actions, including facilitating a genocide, can be swept under the rug as “dumb poo poo” if it fits your white knighting narrative

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 6, 2019

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Lol, just lol if you think it's because "it's the right thing"

also google hasn’t even bothered to not to try

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also apple admits and announces their privacy fuckups, including cheese data migration, publicly. facebook is just sorry it got caught

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

kinda convenient that apple catches someone else loving up shortly after they've had a major fuckup of their own and would want people to stop talking about it

both facebook and subsequently google enterprise certificate misuse was caught by security researchers and taken to media?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

simble posted:

how loving convenient

PCjr sidecar posted:

not like you need to wait long for fb to gently caress up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/researcher-declines-to-share-zero-day-macos-keychain-exploit-with-apple/

not disclosing due to lack of bug bounties, ostensibly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

I wonder if the "researcher's" mother is still in jail.

at least her baby boy is safe in czechoslovakia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f

this is spicy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.euronews.com/2019/02/13/switzerland-offers-cash-to-hackers-who-can-crack-its-e-voting-system this is pretty cool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have professional experience with that kind of information in eu, and the real extent of information banks provide, even comparing different banks within a single member state, differs from each other and also from what it says in the post, very often.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a lot of bigger banks, that have some clout, basically are like “yeah, cool, but you see, this central bank ordnance 69-420 based on the degree of Minister Foo Bar from 2017-15-16 stipulates is that the data requests are subject to the national law on third party permittance upon monetary whereabouts of permanent residents...” and so on and so on with pages of legal drivel, and most fintechs just throw their hands up and mark “bank xyz of republic baz is a gaggle of assholes” in their docs, as none of them have enough time, money, and lunacy to get into a legal fight with a foreign bank on a foreign soil

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

other cool strat, especially favoured by multinational banks, is “yeah we’ll pass this to our integration team for API access, but meanwhile we can offer you this data via our secure ftp server” rigmarole that pits you against a gigantic pile of autogenerated RTFs or some other ancient garbage format that has you abandon the affair out of sheer cost/benefit analysis

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and internally it will be like a circus of teams in 5-6 countries doing various parts of it in no particular hurry, with all the implications about the number of final versions and such

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

man I wish we could get quality data like that from the healthcare providers we deal with

:catstare:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

having been on the side providing such ftps at big banks you should probably appreciate that the stuff on the ftp is actually the easiest to access form of that data that exists, to the point where half the internal systems just pull from that same server ;p

:stonklol:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

now lets see excel

speaking or, i recently had the realisation that im most likely one of the two people in office who don’t use an excel spreadsheet to track all their passwords for various poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

do you need us to teach you excel

no, im not a savage and thus

spankmeister posted:

I use keep rear end op

,for work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i'm the one dingus still using password safe how does it rate?

nice post/username combo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no idea about password safe, just to be clear

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, both mIRC and WinRAR vuln disclosures on the same day

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

in other news, https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/02/googles-nest-security-system-shipped-with-a-secret-microphone/

quote:

Google gave a statement to Business Insider yesterday, saying, “The on-device microphone was never intended to be a secret and should have been listed in the tech specs. That was an error on our part.” According to the company, "the microphone has never been on and is only activated when users specifically enable the option.”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yospros

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

oh hey Gandi supports DNSSEC finally, when did that happen

2012, they just hosed up including it in the first versions of the recent v5 website design, so you had to manually use v4.gandi.net

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

new macos vuln

https://www.neowin.net/news/google-reveals-high-severity-flaw-in-macos-kernel

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Fool posted:

Does PayPal have real mfa now? I thought it was sms only.

as of late last year, you had to use verisign 2fa (if that was an option for you) or hackily circumvent that to enable normal totp auth app access

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

nope, they support authenticator apps now, i found that out a few weeks ago.

i checked just now and i don’t have an option like that, unless i need to kill sms 2fa first

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you can make strong passwords that are easy to remember tho

or you can just memorise one-two competently strong passwords, that sounds like something an average adult can handle

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Keepass and Mooltipass are still acceptable, right?:ohdear:

mooltiwhat now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

the russians used a post-it

we have 4 digit headcount in former ussr countries and I can tell you with certainty that managing passwords in excel is all the rage now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

fortunately i use defence in depth: all my passwords are camouflaged as perl scripts

ah, the email regex strikes back