Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
how do I install my amazon echo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

haveblue posted:

hey guys I wrote this daemon to re-verify tape archives in the background, what do you think

actual lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abigserve posted:

This is absolutely mental, they need to be strung up for doing this lest other people try the same poo poo. It is absolutely totally unreasonable to expect anyone outside of IT people (and even most IT people) to understand the implications of importing a root certificate onto a device.

Yeah I think this is a good point to make. Everyone in this thread understands what FB is doing.

The vast overwhelming 99.999(9?)% of people affected by this/facebook do not understand whats even happening.

Jabor posted:

more like should-be-in-prison book.

not even joking, lock up whoever made the decision, and also their entire management chain including zuckerberg (they all knew exactly what was going on).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
On the otherhand, lol at interacting with anything named Facebook Research

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Imagine being so poo poo that you've given apple the high ground

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

spankmeister posted:

I think this is especially egregious considering their attitude in the San Bernardino case. You can argue about whether or not they did the right thing there, but making a stand against US government agencies there, and then just handing over keys to the Chinese government without even blinking tells you all you need to know about Apple.

The San Bernardino thing was a PR stunt

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
One of the really cool things about twitter and every other social media site is that everyone outsources their human moderation judgement to the philippines which is a country that elected duterte.

I unironically think thats one of the causes of the rise of the alt right.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

almost any rural area would love an influx of jobs. however this would require a rural area in america, any single one of them, to have good & cheap internet :shobon:

Lol remember that time some japanese automotive manufacture changed their mind about building a factory in alabama and instead went to ontario because they didn't want a sickly workforce that had no social support systems in place.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Phone posted:

i think it was mercedes in alabama; however, i think the majority of those stories are apocryphal

I choose to believe.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The_Franz posted:

at least american english was mostly spared from the extraneous 'u' (colour, behaviour, etc...) and the weird er/re thing. the british spelling of 'centre' looks like it should be pronounced like 'sentry'

english is still the only language where the disconnect between spelling and pronunciation is big enough that spelling contests are a thing

you have to feel bad for the kids subjected to that torture, because any 11 year old who knows what the word 'cymotrichous' means as well as how to spell it probably has crazy, overbearing parents and no life

The french are way more hosed up when it comes to the written language being absolutely nothing like the spoken form.

In fact its the french's fault that English is bad too.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When lowtax dies. ZDR still has the keys to get in right?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What is this thread's opinion on Crowdstrike? I have a potential job opportunity with them.

Crowdstrike owns.

They tried to poach me back in August.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

abigserve posted:

For instance, you might start by making a segment for all your database servers. You allow all the *SQL ports through to it from your app servers. however, someone wants to install a mongodb server. Now, do you update the policy to also permit the mongo ports, potentially creating attack vectors to all of the other servers in the segment?

sudo iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp --dport 3306 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 27017

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lmao you can beat packet inspection with like netcat and sed.

or I guess stunnel

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 25, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

yoloer420 posted:

windows firewall

mods

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

as usual, i dont get it

The song Dr.Dre Ft. Eminem- Forgot About Dre includes the lyrics 'And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Dre'

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wrote our last (present but rapidly going away) deployment system with ansible and I absolutely hate it.

I'm probably an idiot for generating ansible manifests with an ERB template, but the Ansible part still sucks.

Now I'm being extremely 2019 and just doing everything in Kubernetes

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

iirc there was also no way to fix it because the http requests were coming from an ethereum smart contract that couldn't be changed

lmao

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Varkk posted:

The false invoice scam is not new. When fax machines first came out people were faxing false invoices and demands for payment. Even better is half the time local cops say it is a civil matter and won’t get involved. You don’t even need
technology I am sure as soon as letter post became a thing false invoices were being sent around.

There are ancient Mesopotamian clay tablets complaining about copper sellers or something billing for shipments that didn't exist.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Volmarias posted:

The finance version of the guy who shoves a "free" CD into your hand than aggressively demands $20 for his autograph

I went to NYC once and being an idiot tourist from the middle of nowhere this poo poo caught me off guard.

Also the loving gypsy cabs that helpfully grab your suitcase immediately before you even know whats going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mystes posted:

Lol if you even make eye contact with or talk to random people in the street in NYC. Assume everyone is a crazy person or scam artist until proven otherwise.

see I didn't know this because I'm a shut in nerd that lives in the middle of absolute nowhere