Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

hi thread, I’m posting this from an unpatched windows xp box with all default ports open because I figure nobody’s going to bother trying to hack those any more, it’s security by reverse psychology

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
virus model numbers are pretty boring tbh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Acer Pilot posted:

Did he just post the keys in that last screenshot?

as he should have.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

about 2 years ago i had to use a credit card carbon copier for a transaction, luckily my card still had the embossed digits for imprint

my mom kept going to the tiny local shop for about 2 years after almost everyone else abandoned it for the bigger ones, because they had that, and the carbon copier can't reject your card when it's over the limit lmao

carbon copier transactions are the best

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Media Bloodbath posted:

Facebook is even easier to game. I'm not up to date, but at least 2 years ago it was easy to circumvent their requirement of minimum size of custom audience > 15 by uploading 14 bogus e-mail addresses and the correct one of the person you want to gently caress with. This allowed you to serve this person (and only this one) with your ads. As it was only one person you could easily buy all ad inventory for a pittance.

lmao remember when the facebook posters in this thread kept insisting how amazingly awesome and secure facebook's poo poo is

2017 was such an innocent time

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's a bit weird because some of the security people i follow online, people who seem to have their heads screwed on straight, sometimes do boost/reshare him. i don't know what to believe anymore :tinfoil:

even a broken clock finds a grain

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

now anyone care about that 7 month old bug in a wifi chipset covering a ton of consumer appliances in the wild with no known public patch yet? the one with a private poc for an unauthed rce?

it looks like i might actually buy a home console if it bears fruit tbh.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
effectively free data storage has done absolute wonders for privacy and security lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, so they cannot look up your passwords in a rainbow table because adding salt would be prohibitively expensive on a thing that's already fairly expensive.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=29f33cab54c2a8858885b95d8fbb7ff1 :v:

obviously md5 shouldn't be used any longer, but that's the idea.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

The Siren Call went out.
the sea witch or the metal device kind of siren? this is important

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
people around my workplace have been getting a ton of those, and i have no idea where from. have i been pwned says the common link is a linkedin leak from god knows how long back, but surely linkedin didn't have cleartext/unsalted passwords?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
everyone tells me "no, i only use this lovely password for lovely things like <obscure forum/webapp account>" but lol.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how are you going to install system packages when you're not an admin though?

a problem would be those packages not being signed, not the requiring admin access bit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's not anymore, everyone wants the latest and greatest now.

i get real bad looks at work when i insist on using only distro packages for php, and trying to avoid composer at all costs, but it's got us safely past a couple of these idiocies entirely unaffected so i guess it's not the worst idea

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 22, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have, and they're the worst. everyone wants php 7.4 or whatever's newest now and they all want to work with loving composer, which is basically npm for php and it's terrible

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
pear is for php, pecl is for c extensions

i have no idea why pear was replaced by composer either, i guess it was too stable for php

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yeah lovely proprietary platforms loving each other is the best schadenfreude

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Plank Walker posted:

yeah i wouldn't say apple is perfect, but don't create this false equivalency with two companies whose entire revenue streams are based on collecting and monetizing as much personal info as they can glean from you

yeah, apple just hasn't hosed up yet. never trust a corporation

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 1, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jeetsidhu_/status/1091864299440619521
owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
looks like afterlife's expensive tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doom Mathematic posted:

Please, please! All these corporations are terrible.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this been posted yet? https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2019-02-01.html

quote:

The most severe vulnerability in this section could enable a remote attacker using a specially crafted PNG file to execute arbitrary code within the context of a privileged process.
code:
CVE 		References 		Type 	Severity 	Updated AOSP versions
CVE-2019-1986 	A-117838472 [2] 	RCE 	Critical 	9
CVE-2019-1987 	A-118143775 [2] 	RCE 	Critical 	7.0, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 8.0, 8.1, 9
CVE-2019-1988 	A-118372692 		RCE 	Critical 	8.0, 8.1, 9
lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GWBBQ posted:

someone compromised an email provider's primary and backup servers, formatted them, and destroyed 20 years of data. the company apparently had no cold storage backups.

https://arstechnica.com/information...ZigasqormT3brUE

did them a favour really, 20 years of data is a GDPR nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

i've checked the bitcoin addresses of all the different ones of these i've gotten and this is the first one that actually had any money in it

buttcoin addresses are free so people generally make a new one for every use case because why not