Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lol I used to be be able to, but that was last year and I was buying hardware like mad.

Xeon skus make no loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

language bcrypt library storepass

language bcrypt library checkpass

Suddenly I'm a developer

I can write down about a third quarter of this accurately and am realizing I need to lean in a good deal harder into my non-operational responsibilities if I want to grow my career in a positive direction

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ErIog posted:

This is literally all devs should have access to or they will gently caress it up incredibly.

Post/av combo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

someone bothered to do a cursory review of 7zip's aes implementation aaaaaaaand

https://twitter.com/3lbios/status/1087855341226942465

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/6f7607738c/

@Devs. Please fix ASAP. 
Don't do your own crypto.

Alright, which one of you?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phone posted:

there’s no one to really root ( :nsa: ) for, but outside of apple just straight up blacklisting facebook from the app store, the best thing i could think of is apple popping up an android-esque permissions dialogue box for every facebook and facebook subsidiary app that’s just a list of times they’ve gotten caught with their hand in the cookie jar over the last 5 years

The public isn't going to give a poo poo.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at getting this design irb approval at any real research organization

The approach many researchers take here is
(1) write an extremely abstract proposal & application
(2) actively mislead the IRB in follow-up clarification and committee

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Main Paineframe posted:

if a permission is "usually malicious", apps should probably be banned from even asking for it

What is malicious? Most people respond "meh" at the slightest hint of inconvenience. "Malicious" seems to be publicly defined as anything more than a few clicks between a live smartphone camera video and automatic puppy dog overlays in streamed video.

"Hey I need to read your location briefly to do the thing you wanted me to do just now" and "Lol I'm going to track you forever" are the same permission prompt in mobile platforms.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not knowing what action apple took here specifically, it would make sense that entities that existed before FB acquisition have their own apple certs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zero One posted:

I'm not allowed to have my own cell phone so my dad forced me to use his phone number. My dad has a steam too and uses the same number. today my brother used my dads account and cheated and now my main account is VAC banned. It's true and here is proof, my father will now write too:

Hello I'm the father and what my son says is true, he did not cheat, it was his brother on my account. Please unban him valve

sincerely the father

Pls unban

Reported to Garry.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's a security fuckup?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's one way to mine monero on huge bioinformatics farms

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

salted hash browns posted:

Like people at Apple had to look at each other and say "Yes we will hand over iCloud encryption keys to a PRC owned organization" for this to happen.

At least Facebook and Google said "no thank you" to operating in PRC over the exact same concern Apple seems to not give a poo poo about.

Friend, Facebook marketing reps have been literally holding seminars on using data exfiltration loopholes as added value of their ad products. They can burn in hell and are at least as bad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GWBBQ posted:

i was shodan surfing and came across someone with an unsecured NAS that has enormous amounts of personal information on it. i kind of feel like i should contact them and let them know, but i also don't want to creep them out by being some random guy contacting them about computer security. thoughts?

You have no surefire safe way to report this to the owner.

Two months weeks days from now, there will be more discovered script-kiddie-level exploits against it anyways.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

hackbunny posted:

easy peasy

Never before has any goon dared to link diagrams of that stack in Yospos, Gandalf the Grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I, too, am not wary enough on motherfucking facebook to avoid watering hole attacks