Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

First Sednit UEFI Rootkit Unveiled by Frédéric Vachon (40:53)
- uefi rookits in the wild! goes through discovery of the initial vector, exploitation and the features of the rootkit. relatively quick talk, good q&a

Taming the Chaos: Can we build systems that actually work? by Peter Sewell (58:53)
- starts as a standard talk about formally defined systems focusing on C. moves onto showing off academic advances in proofing in practice, and progresses to almost functional in the real world. q&a is good and a large chunk of the talk.
some friends of mine went to these, and talked about them over dinner

UEFI: turns out the only way to tell windows malware from windows commercial security software is reading the package lmao

taming the chaos: the code flow integrity part of this talk is apparently fascinating! looking forward to watching this at work in a couple weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

day 1 continued (i even skipped some talks!):

I played the junior CTF and went to whisk[e]yleaks, a good day 2

also got doom running on a LED display

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

lmao that you think they do code review

i mean i hired you [interns / lowest bidder contractors] to write the drat code, why should we have to have another one of you read the code???

also we hired you to write the code, it’s not unreasonable to expect you get it right the first time and don’t make mistakes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

at least a reasonably battle-tested compiler and no doubt proper typing, there are worse outcomes possible

yeah some ML from a grognard that’s not around is way less scary than actively-maintained C

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

i remember back in 2013 when i was still in the navy that you'd have to install a bunch of root certs to make most dod/navy websites functional. it was just a downloadable installer available on a .mil page, iirc. but yeah, without it most mil pages throw up errors and aren't really functional.

and even worse, if you install it, most .mil pages don't throw up errors but aren't really functional anyways

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0gOEyK6Tg

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
why is this in the secfuck thread tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

If I ever caught a coworker not using a salt and hash with bcrypt I would be so loving upset. Every modern language has a canned library to do that in usually one or two lines.

like, how would you even do that lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

How would you even do what? Salt, hash and crypt a password in 2 lines?

I can’t be arsed to google for 10 seconds, but none of the bcrypt libraries I’ve used have documented functions to do anything beyond “turn password into digest” or “tell if password matches digest”

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

florida lan posted:

RSA is still a security conference?

RSA is a product marketing conference.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

florida lan posted:

all i learned from this is that great clips salon managers view industry conferences as an excuse to get drunk even more than tech people do

a lot of tech people are really spoiled and in many workplaces “it’s 2pm and I’m at the office” is an excuse to drink

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

unfettered write access to a publicly available display seems like a infosec fuckup imho

idk

I wore one at both def con 2018 and 35c3 and there were a shitload of static ones at 35c3 and it was fine, most people just want to amuse themselves without hurting others

the only obnoxious behavior is people trying to “win” instead of just doing weird poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jit bull transpile posted:

i mean, the phrase sjw was literally created as an insult. it's stupid but that's where it came from.

I like to expand the acronym to "social justice wizard" personally

can be both wizard and warrior, you need the warrior so your party doesn't get overrun by kobolds

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I really wanna know how many lovely Wordpress pluggins there are that have exactly this same problem

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
anyone going to shmoocon in d/c this weekend? I think I can get a ticket, and if not, I’ll be around for hallwaycon lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
my brothers and I got our parents a smart lock for Christmas, I should see if I can get one and gently caress with it too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Pin and tumbler locks are basically keycode locks where you don't need to remember the keycode and you don't need electricity. Anyone with the key pin lengths and knowhow can file a key. So that's why you're not supposed to take photos of keys, or at least keep photos of keys completely secure

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I love how most of the master keys for major cities/regions public safety departments are openly called by some series of numbers which happens to be the pin sequence. Good opsec everybody

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AayXf5aRFTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPSaKLKHd4

locks are important as a definite signal that access is forbidden in some cases, and that picking a lock is almost always something very explicit you're doing to access a space without authorization, which is a good thing to build legal frameworks on

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

somewhere in that thread she says the management company is installing them in 40,000 units, and if it's considered a success (saves them money somehow) you better believe everyone else will adopt it as well

WarDriver 40,000

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

it's the big one yes, though generally the package repository for php is…

…the comment section of snack overflow

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

It's also nice that they used their sponsor spot to just tell a story about a cool CTF challenge, instead of actively trying to push some product.

trail of bits is a contractor doing fairly intensive research; what they're pushing is that it's cool to let them reap the difference between the fruits of your labor and your paycheck

(by all reports they're a nice place to work)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

It's a bit of a stretch to call DEFCON a "professional" industry conference, but yeah. Still a bit much.

yeah

I’m a bit surprised that DEF CON furs is organized enough to have a budget and tax classification but it’s far from the first or last organization I’d expect to see at DEF CON

less weird and off putting than the “stripper con” types

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flyover dipshits that think Vegas is an adult playground instead of an over stimulating capitalist hell

Proteus Jones posted:

The cost of DEFCON is not out of reach for most people. I paid my own way for years. Then when I worked at $BIG_BANK, they sent me to Black Hat every year and I just stayed the extra days to go to DEFCON and expensed it.

get work to pay for ccc events imo, they’re more fun than black hat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
cut g chat in to pieces
this is my last hang out

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

product idea: key holder (shelf, hooks, or mat) which operates on the same principle as these secure badge holders:

run an as-seen-on-tv style campaign and make bank.

how are you supposed to use the contact part of the smart card with that poo poo on it lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phone posted:

I fail to recognise the “bad practice” here. Researchers clearly asked for consent, in case of teens they have required parental consent as well, they have had clearly worded policy, they have generously paid for participation.

There is no other way to see the user experience in the whole without using VPN and custom root SSL certificate since every app is sandboxed and traffic is sent over HTTPS most of the times.

ok subjunctive but have you considered that maybe companies shouldn't make monitoring the user experience of teenagers their business

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I think the question was more did Apple suspend the certificates for Instagram Inc and WhatsApp Inc as well or was Facebook only using Facebook Inc's enterprise certificate for all of their internal apps?

I don't know if Apple allows that sort of per-subsidiary certificate structure or not, but if they do I could definitely see the reasoning behind yanking all of them.

if you're at fbook and making a lovely little app to track when the company bus picks you up from the gentrification district to ferry you to Menlo Park you're probably just gonna get it deployed with the normal enterprise cert flow instead of figuring out how to use some acquisition's long-expired dev account to get a new enterprise cert

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

sure, but that article says that internal Instagram and Whatapp betas were affected.

I'd guess that they do internal betas with the fbook enterprise cert and only have dev certs for instagram and whatsapp

e: that way they don't have to juggle multiple enterprise certs for fbook employees that want to beta-test all these different apps

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

they'd want to use the same dev cert for all their apps so the apps can access shared storage where they store the user tracking data

why would you store tracking data on the phone instead of in the datacenter? the only thing you'd want to share on-device is a login token

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't use facebook and have never made an iOS app that stores data

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
does stamos work at the Menlo Park water district now 'cause he's carrying a lot of water for facebook

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

DNA has 4 amino acids as it's alphabet, how do you encode an escape sequence? Like what the heck kind of processing is that lovely?

"its" and also that's twice as many as computers got

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

yeah it's from 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
we already knew malware could be encoded in DNA or RNA because viruses exist and kill people

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when was the last time you saw a fat client for an lob app

with the huuuuge caveat that despite everything about it electron doesn't count as "fat"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

when was the last time you saw a fat client for an lob app

also turn off your monitor

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

reading other peoples sexting is always awkward and cringe inducing.

reading your own sexting after the fact is awkward and cringe inducing.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/638936294937227264

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

i want to get a job in "cyber engineering" or work at the "cyber range"

yeah the entire dod and presumably other countries' cheaper yet no less stupid versions of dod just love to call computer-touching "cyber"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

I'm the offensive cyber

please don't post jeff bezos's sexts here

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
*felix voice* the best part of waking up… is kashoggi got cut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Good Sphere posted:

i don't know if it warrants a class action lawsuit, but maybe this is the only motivating factor now that will make it change. also security questions - get rid of them

a civil suit isn't necessarily punishment, it can be a customer support escalation that companies can't ignore