Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hi I'm calling from Microsoft there's a security virus problem on your thread and it's hacking your computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Raere posted:

why are computer model numbers so bad. like, what happened to gateway 2000 etc

video cards are worse

the number does not tell you which one is faster and there's no reason for it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://privacyinternational.org/si...onal%202018.pdf

How apps on Android share data with Facebook - even if you don't have a Facebook account

free apps collect information about me and send it to people who paid them money

:monocle:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if you want to actually understand the issue there's a good talk walking through how this is during the app initialisation and a default in the sdk before any opt-outs happen

and the opt-outs tend to just increase the quantity of information sent and only change a flag on whether to store it

oh yeah, i have no doubts that it's done in the shittiest, most user-hostile of ways, and as always I love the talks and summaries you link here; thank you for that btw

also, it's disingenuous for me to characterize the threat as "being personally identified to an advertiser by an ad-supported fart app" when people's personal safety is very likely being threatened by these same means

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it is i, the secfuck, who welcomes 2019 with a brand new password because i typed the old one into the username field and now it is in the log

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hey now

you're a deskstar

get your CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

i thought it was a keyseller

i thought he made rap records

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

being a con and starting your own twitter drama by making people type their password into your site also works

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Oddly enough I found a website from 2001 where parents of "gifted children" write articles about them

sorry about your jail time fishmech

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Hexyflexy posted:

I'm going to assume you copied this from reddit.

speaking of reddit, there's been quite a few people lately complaining about sextortion emails. The twist is that these threats include proof that someone really has gotten a hold of the victims' homegroan, probably from actually using the compromised credentials

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"not being sufficiently stumpfuck stupid to allow your home to be open to anyone who can work iot garbage" isn't a protected class so let's evict you for this reason

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

He never said what flavor it was though. I’m going to be so loving mad if it turns out not to have been Pamplemousse.

he thought vaguely of it before the interview started, which is an explosion of flavour naming by la croix standards

Also, doesn't epo let you set up distributed av scans & reports? I seem to remember that from the course but ofc the book is uh, elsewhere

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/jinnysims/status/1087763839469277184

jesus christ

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Midjack posted:

wrong ministry

soon i discovered
that this block chain was true

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

also i'm the word """"enriched"""" in the 4th paragraph

e: and the sentiment of "we don't just spy on you, we spy on you to make lawsuits against you easier!" in the last paragraph that i didn't pick up on until reading it again

reminds me of that flight sim that collected all sorts of info but promised to only use it against people they thought were evil pirates

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

have you heard about the new technique hackers are using???????

hackers can turn your mouth into a bomb

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

did themselves a favor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

apseudonym posted:

It's a straight up suit that "omg this security improving thing makes my life slightly harder let's sue", that's awful.

the security improvements to windows vista were necessary and it was just that kind of thinking made people reject them outright

My job is to make ordinary people act like they aren't trying to actively compromise their own security on an hourly basis. It's just not possible to make "a typical user" give a gently caress about security. A toddler in an abandoned amusement park has better survival instincts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it's a good feeling when everything seems fine and the UPSes click on anyway

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

that can't have happened

and if it did happen it wasn't our fault

YOU ARE HERE

and if it was our fault i didn't know

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if you want to take an apple's password from scratch ram, you must first create the universal system-level process

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

great hair, though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cbc marketplace is a canadian consumer affairs show that does investigative reports into the various ways people get screwed by corporations

you'd think with a topic that broad that the well of content would never go dry, but yet

https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/credit-card-scam

quote:

Marketplace has obtained a secret list revealing the names and identities of close to 3,000 Canadians targeted by a phone scam promising to lower your credit card interest rate. Their end game: stealing your identity so they can sell and trade it on the dark net and to other fraudsters. We track where your information can end up and test whether fraud alerts and credit monitoring services can really protect you.

the big surprise isn't that fraud alerts/credit monitoring don't really work, or that credit freezes aren't available in canada

it's that a tv show written and produced by grownups spent half an hour talking about cc phone fraud without mentioning once that reciting your cc number and various other credentials isn't a good idea when you're on the phone with someone who called you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

while i completely agree that "the users aren't going to gently caress this up" should be considered zero times in the formulation of a breach mitigation strategy, saying "so try not to stuff marbles up your nose" is probably worth half a minute of airtime in a show about people with marbles stuffed up their noses

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Midjack posted:

that said, i really like you guys and this thread especially and I will miss this place whenever it finally disappears.

:same:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

i assume they're talking about when GBS got rid of all the rules a few years ago to try to make the site funnier and more appealing to ~kids today~ and surprise, it was a bad idea

if ren and stimpy was funny with rules, imagine how funny it'll be without rules

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

steam-like services are giant security flaws and the fewer of them you have on your computer the better, so yeah i get why people bristle at the idea of "having" to install another one for a single title

especially if it's one that does that

Lysidas posted:

there is also a kickstarted (or equivalent on other platforms) game "phoenix point" by the creator of xcom (julian gollop) which was just announced to be epic-store exclusive for the first year after release, after initially promising it would be distributed through gog and steam, and many people are quite unhappy about that

WHAT? STARCITIZEN IS EVOLVING!

sean10mm posted:

You've got a Bulgarian software developer with an expat frontman recognized by like 5% of PC strategy gaming grognards launching a nostalgia project. They fund their project through a crowdsourcing platform nobody has heard of on the basis it would have a wide release on Steam and GOG, then out of nowhere decide to make their game a 1 year exclusive for a z-grade distribution platform most PC gamers don't even know exists. All of which is linked to a sketchy Chinese company, because of course it is.

STARCITIZEN became ALIENSGAME

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Lain Iwakura posted:

i support a literate presidential candidate

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gently caress

change my vote to that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

curses

foiled again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

truer words

basically nobody talks to us at the office christmas party, which is squarely in "features aren't bugs" territory but still

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it would be cheaper to buy two sgs10+s with cash and flush one down the toilet than it would be to "upgrade" my cell plan to buy one :bravo:

cheaper still to just plug the sgs6 i have now into the wall more often

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

Mercifully it wasn't my job to know or care, but I understood from smarter/more important people at a previous gig that ITAR means it sometimes matters very much where your data is stored.

*pant pant* gently caress did someone say itar

you woke me up for a forums post

ugh

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Midjack posted:

motherfuckers act like they forgot about jre

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFcv5Ma8u8k

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'm not digging through a dump of data collected by a parental spyware app thanks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the future is here and everything needs to be destroyed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

computers for schools loves old government computers but we can't give them the drives because itsp 40.006 is in the way

quote:

In the case of medium-[security level]-sensitive Media that is unencrypted and does not support an acceptable erasure method, or that cannot be satisfactorily verified to confirm sanitization of all user data, a best effort to apply an erasure method should be performed, followed by certain destruction.

sorry about your iphone dude

maybe plug it into the wall next time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

paying developmentally disabled people a dollar an hour is bad and you shouldn't allow it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

but if it's legal and a company does it then yell at legislators not employers