Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sadus posted:

Oh boy "Hacking Chromecasts/Google Homes/SmartTVs Progress: 7893/123141 [6.40973%]"
http://casthack.thehackergiraffe.com/

thanks for raising infosec/white supremacy awareness, fuckheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if you want a lot more detail on mac malware in 2018:
https://twitter.com/patrickwardle/status/1080375413623336961

Did they actually sign their code because it would be pretty trivial to kill it if they did and if they didn't then you're going to have to click through a lot of warnings to get it to launch.

AV software on Mac is a blight on an otherwise reasonably secure platform and you should not install it.

e: lol of course they're leveraging lovely Java security for persistence

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 2, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well ya agreed i figured i'd post the list of malware to laugh at. not impossible to get hold of a code signing cert though let's be honest

Yeah it's not difficult, but it also means you can push a revocation which will block the install going forward and block launching on existing infected systems. First couple suckers are going to get popped but after that you've turned over the keys to deactivate your payload to the other team

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its definitely better in something like iOS where you don't have admin rights and code is delivered through an app store, but it still works well enough on a more conventional OS that isn't dog poo poo like windows that allows unsigned code to do loving anything forever because someone clicked a UAC dialog once months prior

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was thinking about the detection->revoked stage where you go from it being live to blacklisted before it's hit more machines

they definitely have a better foundation for minimising risks, but there's always going to be a delay before the revocation goes live. do apple have an auto-revoke mechanism for random third parties to challenge with a signed payload?

i'd be p interested in an analysis of the larger CAs revoke process in practice as well. it's very much part of the malware handling process that goes undocumented

in the case of loading malicious ca trusts or certs locally, standard practice from MS seems to be to automatically push local trust updates to the clients to bin them so they don't stick around for too long. I assume Apple is doing something similar since they've clearly thought through code signing on their platform and are far more mature in that space that Windows. there's never going to be a 100% effective route for blocking polymorphic threats short of going full applocker and only allowing known certs/vendors/hashes and even then you need to watch out for poo poo like dll injection, 3rd party components like jars and whatnot though it severely reduces potential impact since you don't have an immediate path to escalate to root/admin unless someone is turning over their password

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

considering who it is, I wouldn't hold your breath

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol the wife has a lovely sarnsung WiFi tablet for work and I noticed the clock on the lock screen was wildly wrong and I looked in to it and it supports an NTP Daemon but will only sync if you manually force it there is no scheduler for it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

sadus posted:

Just went to try Windows 2019 for the first time and kicked off Windows updates, hmmm

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm?

HMMMMM

How much did Adobe pay for this poo poo

Its embedded in legacy IE (not edge) for backwards support since Win10 was released. Flash's native updater sucks rear end, doesn't work properly, and MS decided to tell them to gently caress off and are pushing the updates themselves. This is well-documented and generally only of the only good decisions MS has made in the last 5 years.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

UPnP is straight garbage and i thought i was already dead in tyool 2019. i don't care how chomecast uses UPnP, the fact that it uses it at all is a huge loving red flag, even if it apparently "doesn't use it in a bad way."

its a large protocol suite designed to do broadcast discovery and happens to have some ability to request port forwards from a upstream NAT. some kind of discovery protocol is a requirement for any kind of soho environment without proper DNS infrastructure. you're tilting at windmills and being an idiot. the problem are the routers enabling the port forward functionality by default, implementing in a shoddy manner, and not updating/supporting their poo poo in the field.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

like... what do you want? netbios discovery? I guess they could use mdns but that's not secure either and pretty much none of these discovery protocols ever will be. are you going to advocate home kerb-based auth and service advertisement for ever single home network?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I agree that would own

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

how they hell do you manage that they lock you out of practically everything unless your vcenter server is old as dirt

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

wait they force you to use the web version these days? christ i'm glad i don't have to manage VM's anymore

when 5.0 came out they locked the thick client to basically read-only but there was practically a riot because the flash client was horrible and then they walked that back in 5.5 so the thick client can do some amount of edits to existing vms/hosts which helps with bootstrapping a failed cluster or whatever but a whole lot of stuff is inaccessible/read-only from that point forward

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

4.x was so loving good and I miss those days but I'm not ops any more so that's someone else's problem. we sat out 5.x until 5.5 came out and missed the worst of it because they walked backed on their loving idiotic vcpu/vram licensing scheme they were trying to push that would gently caress over everyone's over provisioning strategy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

6 seems okay and that's when I went to html console only because safari/osx and that works pretty well for all the routine stuff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i don't see how i'm an idiot for calling poo poo what it is: poo poo. upnp is straight garbage, i accept that it has been adopted and exists and that the majority of problems are due to lovely implementation but that aside it's dumb trash!

christ you are stupid

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

don't break the seal on your router

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

speaking of meltdowns what's the status of the big spectre/meltdown hullabaloo from last year? how many systems out there are thought to still be vulnerable?

variant 4 came out and ms made a new mitigation for it. melt/spectre mitigations are still disabled by default for their server os's but win10 has them on by default and windows now has the microcode update bundled to mitigate spectre for most intel platforms you'll see in the wild. new cpu's are shipping with the microcode "fixes" built in but it will be years before we have silicon that is actually engineered around this issue. we'll likely see continued optimizations around syscall performance hurting disk calls from NVMe's that work around the performance impact of the mitigations before we see a true fix.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

Github, on behalf of Microsoft, will be allowing unlimited free private repos for free accounts. I don't know if this is ol' drown out competition with free services thing or just let's try to accumulate all the data thing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, tbf hasn’t this been their strategy with universities as well?

Yeah, make the kids in college learn your tools and then the companies that will hire them are forced to pay the service contracts. It works pretty well, I'm fine with it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

trust chain on that is completely hosed. you're not allowed to have an upstream trust intermediate have an expiration before the expiration of the downstream trust.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay welcome to the loving dumbest pki implementation I have ever seen:

wwww.disa.mil exp 11/18/19
DOD ID SW CA-38 exp 9/23/21
DoD Root CA 3 exp 2/17/19 <-- lol
DoD Interop Root CA 2 exp 8/15/19 <-- lolè
Federal Bridge CA 2016 exp 5/15/20
TSCO SHA256 Bridge CA exp 2/19/19 <-- who the gently caress is this?
Alexion Pharmaceuticals Issue 2 CA exp 8/2/27 <-- WHO THE gently caress IS THIS??

Why the gently caress doesn't this stop at DoD Root CA 3 is beyond me but even that they hosed up your root should always have the last expiration date

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I 100% assure you the actual mil systems are pushing all their hosed up root and intermediate certs through GPOs to override the numerous PKI validation errors

hahahaha Alexion is a Symantec-issued cert mischief managed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I wonder if they attempted to somehow shim in the Symantec trust chain behind the DoD Root CA after the fact when all the contractors and whoever on non-mil systems didn't have it in their trust store and complained about the validation errors. That sounds like something dumb enough for Symantec to try for a buck. There shouldn't be any trust chain to civ computers on this at all.

fyi there's like 4 or more different trust chains on this mess depending on your browser/os/phase of the moon

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.disa.mil&s=156.112.108.76&hideResults=on

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The amount of fuckery I see in those various attempts at trust chains would take a team of the finest idiots you could find years to achieve

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

openssl has too many easily-configured silent error modes and belongs in the trash heap of history since they clearly have zero interest in actually making a usable and secure product for the world but instead are just throwing a loose bag of parts at you with limited constraints or guidance

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

vehicle 3 has legs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol this is the same poo poo that brought down el chapo reenacted at a national scale

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

RSA is a product marketing conference.

goatse-wall as a service

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Proquest apparently stores passwords in plain text and when you use their password recovery feature simply emails you your login and password.

Why are people still doing this in 2019?

they haven't been sued so they don't give a poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cool, I'm seeing something In The Wild attempting to execute a payload against the SEP scanning engine on Windows. SEHOP is killing it, but its only a matter of time before they figure out an evasion.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

got any samples?

just the log lines of ccSvcSvr getting merked by SEHOP. going to try to correlate it to some kind of traffic on the border firewall logs but there is very little to go on here

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there is a private disclosed priv elevation exploit against the version of 14 that we are on, and I haven't been able to upgrade to 14.2 because they turbofucked the firewall module and are still sorting that out so all in all this is a great situation

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Symantec says its something in the wild hitting against the IPS engine but it should be resolved with the latest def set. They're not really sure who's doing it or what the payload is, so I suspect its a bandaid fix

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

geonetix posted:

re SEP im 75% sure it’s just taviso sending them a poc again

tavis isn't sending my loving desktops payloads to make the IPS engine throw SEHOP faults and die, this thing is in the wild

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

geonetix posted:

lmao ok, the 25% it is. do you have samples? I like to toss it into mcafee and other poo poo tier stuff

not yet. SEHOP faults are tricky because all you get it "bad thing happen, killed process". no caching proxy here to pull it from. maybe something is recoverable from a browser cache somewhere (probably not, IPS crashing probably stopped it before it could write to disk). trying to correlate it to remote ips in the firewall logs. apparently Symantec doesn't have a sample of the payload either

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lain Iwakura posted:

in sec news on my end, i am finally starting my years long security orchestration project

global rm -rf / job on puppet

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

RE Symantec IPS vulnerability: I don't think its been properly fixed in the IPS module. I'm seeing evidence in the logs of clients getting popped all over the place (not servers) and the ones that don't throw SEHOP errors have their SONAR module uploading copies of their ccSvcHst process to Symantec for analysis

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

how’s the payload delivered?

suspicion is some kind of drive-by but since its being processed in-memory from the wire and then nuked actually recovering conclusive evidence is proving difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

do you have some kind of exec logging? some parts of our org are still on Symantec, I’ll ask if they’ve seen crashes.

Not at the moment, still waiting on approval for a sysmon rollout. Not sure if it would have given us anything if the heap is being modified in-memory. Hopefully is just some manner of memory leak that’s being inadvertently triggered and overwriting nonsense to the heap but I don’t have confirmation yet.