Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

well yeah that's a generation thing, 2080 Ti is more powerful than 1080 Ti. generation leaps on nvidia usually are 1 model relative shift, e.g. 2060 is equal to or better than 1070. still, both for nvidia and intel there seldom are reasons to buy previous generation consumer products

except this is very untrue with the price leap in the latest nvidia generations, and the very minor performance gains of the latest intel generations

but, w/e, most people will not be comparison-shopping specific intel cpu's to start with, i'm a huge nerd and even i don't bother keeping much track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

abigserve posted:

lol at not having any sort of middleware at all and just letting the devices upload straight to s3, what could possibly go wrong

afaik aws makes this trivial to do by locking a (cognito) user to a specific s3 subdirectory, no real need to increase surface area with additional middleware

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

at least a reasonably battle-tested compiler and no doubt proper typing, there are worse outcomes possible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm the secfuck who never got around to pick up my proper picture id for the campus, and had to argue with a very serious guy at the gates to get in when it turns out my simple rfid card needs to be reactivated (on the inside) every january 1st

well, i guess the serious guy at the gate was the secuck for letting me in. he had a gun and everything, could have kept me out pretty easy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

clearly a router secfuck, but people messing with peoples chromecasts are on the level of driving down the road with an ir blaster loving with peoples tv settings to demonstrate the insecure nature of window glass or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sadus posted:

Just went to try Windows 2019 for the first time and kicked off Windows updates, hmmm

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm?

HMMMMM

How much did Adobe pay for this poo poo

flash for chrome and edge are built and distributed by google and microsoft, respectively, so it is just standard and in both (requiring approval to run though)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

Github, on behalf of Microsoft, will be allowing unlimited free private repos for free accounts. I don't know if this is ol' drown out competition with free services thing or just let's try to accumulate all the data thing.

free private repos can only have three collaborators, so it is pretty drat limited anyway

besides there is a bunch of enterprise features they still charge for, just microsofts modern realization that you want to rope in hobbyists with free tools to the extent possible, the real money is with cost-insensitive companies

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

openssl has too many easily-configured silent error modes and belongs in the trash heap of history since they clearly have zero interest in actually making a usable and secure product for the world but instead are just throwing a loose bag of parts at you with limited constraints or guidance

:yeah:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

vehicle 3 has legs

the labels are (for some reason) right-aligned to the left of the box they are labeling

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phone posted:

i thought that the bigger thing were all of the videos being unencrypted and we’re, drumroll please.... in an unsecured s3 bucket!!!!!

in shocking no one news, ring is a dumpster fire of a company

the article is phrased weirdly though, it lists people the videos are available to 'without access control', if it is just publicly available why aren't they just saying that?

if it is that amazon is just opening up the full set to "researchers" and consultants at the drop of a hat makes it less pure incompetence but full-on cynical abuse though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Max Facetime posted:

right, from Europe, Asia and Africa; people do know of the importance of inclusiveness, or this wouldn’t be such a big point

so then, not having even the singular “my one black friend” for the role of the African, someone in a group of friends has to put on blackface to really drive home how inclusive everyone is being? there’s a perplexing disconnect in awareness at play here

i am not sure where this was (i.e. distance from the us), but blackface is one of those which does still need to be explained to some people, as the connotation (quite specifically originating with white people engaged in the slave economy of the southern states appropriating and spreading the culture, i.e. music, of the enslaved people, while donning a mocking imitation look of them) is not that well taught in a lot of the world

not that ignorance is a defense or the use of blackface is made any less problematic by historical details, but i do think there is a lot of rampant, but at least sometimes, innocent ignorance at play there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, if you have somewhere very secure to hide the salt, perhaps as well to hide the hash there too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

people around my workplace have been getting a ton of those, and i have no idea where from. have i been pwned says the common link is a linkedin leak from god knows how long back, but surely linkedin didn't have cleartext/unsalted passwords?

well, are they getting it for a lovely password then? i should have been in the linkedin leak but had a password that is reasonably hard to force, and have gotten no threatening emails

wouldn't be too surprised if plenty of passwords were weak enough to be worth forcing despite salt though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

Does string concatenation count as an arithmetic?

it is a characterization of the free monoid yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fb is terrible. it remains to be seen how terrible apple gets if revenue does fall further/long term

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gonna fix all of yous, just you wait

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

kinda convenient that apple catches someone else loving up shortly after they've had a major fuckup of their own and would want people to stop talking about it

we didn't really know what rules apple had in place for facebooks use of the certificates, i'd presume someone whistleblew on google when the publicity revealed that such use wasn't ok

also apple is plenty terrible and the real mindbender is the attempt to defend facebook

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

the terms of the generic enterprise cert program agreement are public and were cited as the reason for the revocation, I don't think they had a special private contract since apple removed ios's built-in facebook integration

yeah, this turns out to have been the right take all along, but i at least suspect that people who had seen wonky google apps on their enterprise cert up to that point had gone "huh" and assumed that they had some deal cut with apple (and thus didn't bother to report it to the right people at apple)

at least i find that to be more likely than there being anything particularly conspiratorial about google getting called out the day after facebook

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

funny story about my cs classes: i used to have a professor who insisted that students print out their code and turn it in instead of using the school's tool for digitally turning in stuff. my final project ended up being 20+ pages printed back and front

rumor was that he had stock in hp and all the school printers got their supplies from them

my thinking is he was looking for students doing this poo poo and was just good at working out execution paths in his head

yeah, i still require printouts for the usual small scale assignments (where it'll be a few pages with suitable a2ps settings), not for projects where it gets lengthy though

it is just easy both to annotate a bit on, and with rather little practice you get good at visually spotting both bugs and e.g. plagiarism in that form

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the term 'counterintelligence' has always seemed to suggest precisely the sort of thinking that is on display there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

* The XPS Print API is not supported and may be altered or unavailable in the future. Client applications should use the Print Document Package API instead.

xps did its job, microsoft had pdf printing and viewing support ready to ship for over a decade but adobe kept throwing (antitrust) fits, so microsoft started pushing a new document format until adobe gave in and now windows 10 does both viewing and printing to pdf

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

if you want to do something complicated then you should be doing it in the real programming language you’re clearly already using.

excel libraries are for input and output where customers really want to use excel, or where you really just want csv but you know it will only ever be loaded into excel and you want to avoid all the pitfalls of csv imports

for these purposes, the existing libraries are surprisingly good

either way *outputting* working xslx for your exact purposes is not very difficult (in fact just putting the skeleton of the thing together in excel, saving, and then generalizing from that is straightforward enough), the issue with the format being complicated only really shows up if you want to interpret arbitrary files, but there's really only like two projects that need to do this (openoffice and office itself)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having been on the side providing such ftps at big banks you should probably appreciate that the stuff on the ftp is actually the easiest to access form of that data that exists, to the point where half the internal systems just pull from that same server ;p

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do wonder what word 'lucrative' is an autocorrrect of in that sentence

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that's a pretty cool find, or rather a pretty stupid bit of engineering on apples part. just privilege escalation though, so not too terrifying in practice.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Important news: Ghidra has undo.

that's so 1993

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya welcome to a new vuln class being found and research on different vendors trickling out over time

man intel would have been so much happier had these vulnerabilities been found while itanium was still alive/invested in, the case for dragging people on it would have been way way clearer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

itanium supports explicit speculation of things like loads, but that doesn’t mean they never would’ve added implicit speculative execution

sure, and even if spectre had hit in time i doubt it would have made much of a difference for the failure of itanium anyway. but it is fun to ponder a bit. there is a nerdy charm to a very explicit arch after all (though that pretty much summarizes all advantages actually realized so far)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

during trumps second term they're going to pour his brain into glados and he'll run things forever fyi

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bhodi posted:

let me open up a 2gb program so i can edit this text config

I love VS code but sometimes you're just looking for something a little more lightweight but usable (looking at you, notepad, somehow you continue to gently caress up newlines in circa 2019, just give up on ^M already)

the october update added support for unix and mac line endings. the unix way was always the weird microptimization though, relying on the terminal subsystem to add in the cr.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

super-weird at first since they should be running a clean google image outside of the driver layer, but it seens most likely it is a qualcomm driver doing the call "home" https://raw.githubusercontent.com/b...rationTask.java

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

exmachina posted:

Dammit I was going to buy that phone.

What is considered a 'safe' mid-range phone, preferably with Android one.

still that one i'd say, while it is a fuckup it seems an innocuous one (wrong qualcomm driver package loaded, this apparently being a "register with network" step that is required in china), and i would not really have more faith in some other manufacturer

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Pixel, sorry.

WRT Android One, I've seen too many "We Promise To Actually Update This Phone For Years Guys We Really Really Mean It This Time" groups show up to not get jaded about this.

it is 100% googles fault if an android one phone ends up not getting updated though, as it is a standardized image that does just pull the monthly updates from google

as noted the issue here is that the image is comingled with a soc support/driver package, and the qualcomm package used on a run of the 7 was incorrectly setup for china

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

like, not defending the fuckup, because it is a huge fuckup, but don't go buying samsungs or even overpaying hugely for a pixel now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they are so loving expensive mostly. nokia has a good combo in being pretty cheap, getting updates, and mostly not being terrible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you're spending that kind of money: yeah.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

:justpost: i guess v:shobon:v

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i too make all my important security decisions exclusively based on any adjacent filename i happen to spot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly rip thinking that the identity of the base image of a process is a useful/refined security distinction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fde keyed to your key fob is the correct solution either way, no need to invent less convenient solutions just because doing the fde requires a slight redesign