Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
edit: china's social credit system was already posted. Can confirm it's A Good Talk though.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Raere posted:

What's the consensus on running AV on Macs (for myself)? Do they just increase the attack surface like they tend to do on PCs, or is it actually a useful extra layer of defense?

I'm not aware of any Mac AV that's anything other than snake oil which causes kernel panics. Maybe get yourself a Little Snitch license if you want to increase your paranoia. Install software updates, don't disable SIP and that's about it.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Has someone said 'Oh, we have XProtect' to pass a compliance audit yet?

related: how does PCI compliance deal with iOS, where there is no AV at all?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

https://twitter.com/dragosr/status/1001114342958317568?lang=en

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
looool I'm going on vacation and the hotel concierge offered to take care of the ski rentals and lift tickets for me, saying I'd get a link to an online payment gateway. When I took them up on it, this is what they sent, and told me to email back:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I should note that this is part of Marriott. You know, the company that just had a massive data breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol the car2go rollout in chicago included actual benzes????? when they tried doing it here they only had dinky Smartsf
Holy poo poo, loving Car2Go.

Ze Germans had absolutely no idea how to run a car sharing service in NYC. They had original Smart cars with suspensions that felt like they were borrowed from bicycles, were throwing tire pressure warnings constantly, and lasted maybe 14 months before they were too beat to poo poo and had to be retired. They backhauled using EDGE modems that ran on T-Mobile, so you couldn't park in Greenpoint (this was in like 2015). The software ran on what felt like a 166 MHz processor coded by JS developers. There was a 1-2 second lag when you turned the volume knob.

I found a used condom in cars on more than one occasion, most of the cars reeked of weed, and I think I found coke in them once. If you had an iPhone you couldn't use any of the Gen2 cars for like a month, so I would see a car outside my apartment, try to start it, get an error code thrown, then call customer service for a credit. I think I only paid for half the rides I took, ever.

BMW's service was inexplicably called ReachAroundNow (they had the trademark for DriveNow but inexplicably didn't use it???). They rolled out a fleet of loaded Mini Clubmans and 335is, and within maybe 6 weeks they yanked them all from service because, shockingly, people in Brooklyn hooned the poo poo out of them and they were immediately trashed.