Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

man i wish cert revoc was that effective in practice

it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

the most recent versions are html5 and are so much better

it still doesn't have all the features of the flash client. also the flash client doesn't work most of the time because of security patches to flash/ie.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
still using the vsphere desktop client while we slowly migrate to clod + hyperv

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ours is pretty old but the client still works with the basic management stuff. there are a bunch of missing features but its fine for getting stuff decommissioned

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we're on 6 and the thick client works fine. again there are certain features that weren't available in the 5.5 vpshere thick client so it cant do those, but everything else works fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

throwing a loose bag of parts at you with limited constraints or guidance

that's litterrally the unix philosophy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

unfettered write access to a publicly available display seems like a infosec fuckup imho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're correct though. (altho idk if id use gpg)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh it sounds like they maybe aren't using a good key and/or aren't using it properly which is a problem.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use Authenticode you idiots.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

aiui the problem is if the key doesn't match it tries to check the vlc website for a new key, and then download it (over http of course)

sub par open sores tools lead to sub par open sores solutions.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbf if ur gonna do common biting like that it doesn't matter how well you protect your key documentation since the folks who would use it can just decode the key from a lock. its really just there to prevent tampering by kids and other casual assholes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

they make keys with active elements to make them even harder to copy, but I would be surprised if the manufacturer actually claimed the key was uncopyable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

how is that even possible?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh. I know what it is. gently caress face idiot jonny ives decided he wanted you to see the live video of who was calling you so to make that work it creates the session setup required for the call even if you don't accept.

e: whatever code handles the event for adding a new party to the call is probably below the phone ui so theres no checking to see if the user accepted the call. it assumes that because theres an active call the user picked it up even though the UI automatically picked up in order to display the incoming video.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 29, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Volmarias posted:

You mean Google Duo?

idk what that is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

name a federated communication protocol that isn’t spammed up garbage

s4b and teams aren't spammed up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the call is being answered at the protocol level to get the inbound video stream and then handed to the UI for display thats even worse.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the inbound to the recipient of the call I mean. that inbound stream is always connected and its by design because they want to show the caller on the recipient's phone.

this means its building a session in the recipient device and whether that session is being accepted without user input by design. The question is if its the phone app/ui accepting the call or if its something at the system level accepting the call and then handing it off to the phone app/ui. Both scenarios here are the device accepting calls without user interaction, but the former makes this somewhat understandable as a bug since its a disconnect between bad UI design (accepting a call without user input) and the system. The later would mean system components are designed to accept inbound calls without user input which is far worse.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres the zero lag thing which im sure is a part of it, but theres also the caller-preview thing which is probably the major driver here. Personally I hate it.

its not a good user experience cause it instantly makes me think that since I can see them, they can see me (which they can thanks to this bug) plus I don't think theres any notification to the caller that their video is being sent before the recipient picks up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol remember when the web was going to be the future of applications?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

yep that seemed to come true and tbh it’s achieved a much higher cross platform adoption rate then literally any other gui library

except is hasn't since every application of worth is native and simply disabling those apps caused such a massive headache to facebook despite their massive investment in web "apps"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

apple wants them to use official apple analytics so nobody else can get that sweet, sweet data

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have a ups for my computron and then another ups for my networking gear and its super nice for when some idiot slams his pickup into a pole during a snowstorm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
PDF wasn't open soresed until 2008 and even then it isn't really open because its still largely adobes format. its still to this day a huge pain in the rear end to implement readers and editors for it.

Microsoft created a PDF addon to office 2007 because adobe wouldn't let them include it in office by default. Adobe was still making money on acrobat and a pdf capable Word would eliminate acrobats entire market.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also openxml is great and super easy to use.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Ive used the official .net lib for it to create word docs and it works fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

there have been decent libs for xlsx for ages now. then again there were already decent libs for xls. don’t ask me how I know I’ve nearly stopped having flashbacks

doing doc/xls thru com automation sucks balls but docx/xlsx is gr8 cause its just xml.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

If you're just trying to get around sites that block European IPs because of GPRD or trying to protect your data over public wifi hotspots, you're probably better off just using algo to setup your own VPN on a VM on digitalocean or something.

Theoretically these dubious vpn services provide additional privacy by sharing IPs, but for normal uses normal uses this isn't going to matter unless you are extremely careful about clearing your cookies and never log into anything (and even then it won't be effectively against anything except the most casual attempts to collect data for advertising because there are so many techniques for browser fingerprinting), which I guess leaves people who hope that it will protect them when they download :filez: or something (which it probably won't).

these vpn services are cheaper and easier than setting up your own vpn on some hosting provider. wrt filez, the reporting to isps is 100% automated now so its scrape tracker, send ip to isp, isp blocks you. theres no real human intervention beyond maybe finding the torrent in the first place. content owners aren't gonna bother with trying to sue you anymore, but they'll use your isp against you.

of course a vpn isn't gonna protect you from the government, but nothing will.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

other cool strat, especially favoured by multinational banks, is “yeah we’ll pass this to our integration team for API access, but meanwhile we can offer you this data via our secure ftp server” rigmarole that pits you against a gigantic pile of autogenerated RTFs or some other ancient garbage format that has you abandon the affair out of sheer cost/benefit analysis

man I wish we could get quality data like that from the healthcare providers we deal with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

geonetix posted:

you can it's probably on an insecure samba share exposed to the internet. just portscan them

its easy to get, but its in random formats cause they manually add it to excel every week.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Several password managers leave traces of their master password or individually accessed passwords in the Windows 10 memory, sometimes even after they've been locked. Someone with access to the computer could potentially extract those passwords from memory.

https://www.securityevaluators.com/casestudies/password-manager-hacking/

Dashlane and Keepass seem to be doing relatively well on this test.

Note: this is a rather esoteric way of attack and is not at all a reason to not use password managers. If someone installs a keylogger to your computer they can get access whether you have a password manager or not.

now lets see excel

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ozymandOS posted:

otoh, if the box can unlock its own encryption on boot, so can an attacker

while the computer is running other mechanisms are in place to protect the data.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

well that sucks, although so far at least my test run seems to be behaving. i'm not spending all day changing and creating passwords, really all i want is the equivalent of an excel spreadsheet of passwords which needs its own password and 2fa to get into

I betchu could do totp in vba. altho access might be more appropriate than excel

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

how much of a market is there in dns lookups? seems like super valuable data especially if you can combine it with other things

all those dns providers are primarily web hosting/ad companies so they 100% have all your other info. a free vpn is just a way to track you across the entire internet instead of the networks in which they are members.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

while on the topic of easy to remember upstream DNS servers, is there any reason not to use the goog's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

i mean i know it's google and their promise not to mine it for personal data or w/e means absolutely nothing but other than that

I think its entirely about how much you want to give that data to goog and give them control over your dns.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

PLCs and most SCADA/Industrial Automation has little to nothing in the way of actual security, and tends to utilize outdated OSs and Software to handle the backend.

Right now, the best way to secure a PLC/SCADA network is to not let it touch the internet or corporate network. At all.

the problem is one of the big benefits of those systems is realtime monitoring so you need access to that data from outside the control network. this means you cant totally airgap the system and you need to setup some kind of gateway between your control and operations networks. the goal is to limit what can get in and out.

remote vendor access for maintenance is a whole other thing and in that case you tell them to pound sand and send someone out.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 3, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

my ISP's local resolver also hijacks not-found domains to display "helpful" ad pages search pages so that's straight out

never heard of quad9, i'll check it out thanks

TWC used to do this, but it looks like after spectrum bought them they don't anymore? atleast according to that test. I ended up setting 1.1.1.1 and some other server on my unifi gateway and now its like 15 ms faster than my isp for uncached responses!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

your gender must be at least eight characters long and contain a number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Celexi posted:

gmail, yahoo, microsoft and a few others do

Technically for office 365 Microsoft treats reject and quarantine as high scoring spam rather than dropping rejects.