Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i guess i don't know how the security community operates.

i sorta assume they know it's not good to directly boost someone who clearly needs a bit of help

I guess you don't know how the security community operates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Volmarias posted:

This is definitely some kind of gently caress up

I wonder if the "researcher's" mother is still in jail.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Just lol at text messages being stolen by a government entity. When I worked for a large telco I had access to a database with every text message they'd processed in the last week.

We used it to debug delivery issues for large clients. There is no way that a government level actor would be needed for this sort of thing.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

abigserve posted:

Show me a "process aware" firewall that works accurately.

Little Snitch my man! Or alternately windows firewall. Whatever works for you.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

those really aren't the same...

The question was about process aware firewalls that work. They do work, I'm not aware of any enterprise level solutions (for anything) that work though. The tech exists however.

abigserve posted:

I meant network firewalls, I should have clarified. EDR's like carbonblack also offer some pretty impressive network flow collection which tie network traffic to processes, users, etc.

Absolutely fair, I don't know that there are any network firewalls that properly do anything close to that. If there were they'd need to be heavily dependent on host based reporting anyway.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 26, 2019

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there are devices that are basically passive taps for usb, the idea is you plug it into an actual replica of your target system (down to the hardware, no virtual machine or anything) and analyse what it does, not what's on it. that's probably a level of paranoia too high for your typical corporate "usb key found in the car park" situation, but you'd have thought the secret service and the fbi would have at least thought about this a little bit...

USB bus analysers are crazy expensive, or were last time I purchased one. I can't imagine any agency would be able to justify the cost of testing every USB device they process on something like that. Even if they did, a 10 minute delay on the hub becoming active would defeat it.

Good idea, but I have no idea how you could scale it to the needs of an investigative body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

well its not like there's much point to stealing your getaway car months in advance or anything

your hodgepodge of donutchuggers randomly picking cars to follow still ain't going to be an effective dragnet against stolen vehicles

In Australia we have permanent fixed cameras in various places that automatically run plates and issue fines for vehicles with expired registration. I'd expect they could harvest that data to hunt stolen cars too.