Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also :gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nah, let's not let me rampant idiocy ruin a perfectly nice making GBS threads on bad thing thread.

At least not until we've got a running thread for 2019.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oloFJAsxy0

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
make sure to look at my av while listening to that song

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Truly the worst anime of 2018 was the friends we made along the way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a cartoon duck posted:

Truly the worst anime of 2018 was the friends we made along the way.
Boo! Hiss! :mad:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That last page was garbage, and if I see one more post about perceived sexual assault in citrus I'm locking this thread for a half day.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'll repost this since it looks like the thread has wound down. There weren't any votes to change the rankings as far as I could tell, so

Mulderman posted:

It's better than piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisss at least.

Did a quick lookup through this topic.
Here's the top 3 poo poo of 2018:

1. darling in the franxx
10 votes

2. persona 5/backstreet girls
7 votes each

3. uzumaid/goblin slayer
6 votes each

Grapplejack posted:

Well, since he did the worst, I'll go ahead and do a roundup for Most Avoided
1. Goblin Slayer (this is extremely not a surprise given the mood on the forums) - 15 mentions.
2. Backstreet Girls - 11 mentions.
3. Uzamaid - 10 mentions.
4. (three way tie) Teasing Master Takagi, My Sister My Writer, and Dakaichi - 2 mentions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

With three days left to go, can anything defeat franxx

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Namtab posted:

With three days left to go, can anything defeat franxx
That will probably be difficult considering the sheer number of people who somehow managed to make it long enough for it to get very bad and realize how it wasted their time. Seeing something that just totally sucks right off and bailing 1-3 episodes in probably is a lot less annoying then watching something just fall completely apart after enough investment has been made.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Fabricated posted:

That will probably be difficult considering the sheer number of people who somehow managed to make it long enough for it to get very bad and realize how it wasted their time. Seeing something that just totally sucks right off and bailing 1-3 episodes in probably is a lot less annoying then watching something just fall completely apart after enough investment has been made.

See also: KumaMiko

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's interesting, since a lot of the votes for it have been "It's not the worst, but..."

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
just want to throw in that i am probably one of the extreme minority who watched every episode of backstreet girls, and then the extreme majority who hated every minute of it they saw

there were 2-3 good jokes in the whole thing and then the rest of it was just really gross and bad and for bad people. also it is animated like trash. good op tho.

e; to add to the purpose of the thread it was absolutely the worst anime i watched this year, the year where i watched at least like 50% of all anime including death march to the parallel world rhapsody. it's hard to top how bad gokudolls is.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 10, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Another Person posted:

just want to throw in that i am probably one of the extreme minority who watched every episode of backstreet girls, and then the extreme majority who hated every minute of it they saw

there were 2-3 good jokes in the whole thing and then the rest of it was just really gross and bad and for bad people. also it is animated like trash. good op tho.

e; to add to the purpose of the thread it was absolutely the worst anime i watched this year, the year where i watched at least like 50% of all anime including death march to the parallel world rhapsody. it's hard to top how bad gokudolls is.

I somehow completely forgot that came out that year. Jesus this means that we've had what, 4 isekai shows last year maybe more?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

I somehow completely forgot that came out that year. Jesus this means that we've had what, 4 isekai shows last year maybe more?

Way more than 4, i know because i watched more than 4

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I had a think and counted just the poo poo I saw at least one episode of...

Isekai in 2018:

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
The Silver Guardian S2 (a Tencent joint - China loves their isekai too)
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
Slime thing
Overlord II and III
Sword Art Online: Gun Gale Online
Sword Art Online: Alticization (long live the 4 cour year of kirito)
The Master of Ragnarok and the Blesser of Einherjar
Conception

Soft isekai:
Goblin Slayer

i think some of these are a good deal worse than goblin slayer (and this is saying nothing positive about the shitshow that is goblin slayer). i watched a lot of absolute trash in 2018.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 10, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't call GGO an isekai, honestly. Nobody's trapped in anything, it's just a show about dorks playing games.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Another Person posted:

I had a think and counted just the poo poo I saw at least one episode of...

Isekai in 2018:

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
The Silver Guardian S2 (a Tencent joint - China loves their isekai too)
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
Slime thing
Overlord II and III
Sword Art Online: Gun Gale Online
Sword Art Online: Alticization (long live the 4 cour year of kirito)
The Master of Ragnarok and the Blesser of Einherjar
Conception

Soft isekai:
Goblin Slayer

i think some of these are a good deal worse than goblin slayer (and this is saying nothing positive about the shitshow that is goblin slayer). i watched a lot of absolute trash in 2018.

Goblin Slayer isnt an isekai, its not a soft isekai, and people pushing the term Native Isekai are terrible.

It's just a fantasy show, you can say fantasy. It's a genre.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 10, 2019

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought 2017 had about an equal amount of Isekai but then I remembered that was when we still got adaptations of bog-standard fantasy light novels where everyone goes to magic high school or whatever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Onmi posted:

Goblin Slayer isnt an isekai, its not a soft isekai, and people pushing the term Native Isekai are terrible.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/235104303520415745/532766350704246795/images.jpeg

i mean, i can see the argument that goblin slayer uses like 95% of the same tropes and cliches as isekai stuff, with the sole left turn being "the main character was born there." i'm not really sure what you'd call that, since it is definitely not technically isekai but is also pretty adjacent to it.

e: i also recall reading that the WN was a pretty big influence on a lot of future things that actually were isekai, which is at least partly why so many of them are horrifying edgelord garbage, but i don't have receipts for that. might have been in the gassed thread?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Onmi posted:

It's a fantasy show set in the same sort of bland game-like fantasy world that isekai tend to be set in. A more specific term than "fantasy" is needed.

Edit: LORD OF BOOTY beat me to it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, i can see the argument that goblin slayer uses like 95% of the same tropes and cliches as isekai stuff, with the sole left turn being "the main character was born there." i'm not really sure what you'd call that, since it is definitely not technically isekai but is also pretty adjacent to it.

e: i also recall reading that the WN was a pretty big influence on a lot of future things that actually were isekai, which is at least partly why so many of them are horrifying edgelord garbage, but i don't have receipts for that. might have been in the gassed thread?

Isekai are tries about people transported or trapped in an alternate world. Digimon is an isekai, Pokemon is not, no one is transported from anywhere, there aren't game mechanics, no one's even natively teleported in world except the goblins. It's a fantasy story with fantasy story cliches.

Say it with me. Fantasy story, normal fantasy story

Silver2195 posted:

It's a fantasy show set in the same sort of bland game-like fantasy world that isekai tend to be set in. A more specific term than "fantasy" is needed.

Edit: LORD OF BOOTY beat me to it.

It's just a fantasy world. When we start defining things by what they aren't they lose meaning. Is it a story about someone travelling to or being trapped in another world, or the world being magically changed in some way?
No? Then it's not isekai in any level.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 10, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Don't recall if it was the trend setter, but my friend who read the LN for review purposes says that the series goes full on wish fulfillment.

quote:

i think i told you
but GS becomes an adventurer and his team is the usual + the girl and boy with the rats quest
guts wannabe and blonde chick
lancer wannabe and the witch
two people the main group are called swordman
and all the girls fight for his attention
waifu war
there is a full chapter dedicated to the girls
dressing in slutty outfits to win his attention but because of the type of man he is, its all for naught
but it doesn't stop them from trying other ways in other chapters
goblins are completely out of the picture
and GS is somehow more knowledgable than every adventurer

I mean yeah it's not an isekai, but it has EVERYTHING that's often time negatively associated with the genre is in this series(Wish-fulfilment, loner badass lead, waifu harem). The fan-service stuff just sounds really loving gross and tasteless given how often rape occurs in the series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

Don't recall if it was the trend setter, but my friend who read the LN for review purposes says that the series goes full on wish fulfillment.

I mean yeah it's not an isekai, but it has EVERYTHING that's often time negatively associated with the genre is in this series(Wish-fulfilment, loner badass lead, waifu harem). The fan-service stuff just sounds really loving gross and tasteless given how often rape occurs in the series.

I mean that thing you described does not happen. Period. Nor is the latter thing. Actually that whole description sounds like someone gleaning something from something someone said after glancing at a blurry image. Not that it's not schlock fantasy, it just literally has none of that.

And even if it did, we have a word for these stories. It's a good one even it's been around for yonks. BAD. WE CALL THEM BAD STORIES, say it with me. "Goblin Slayer is bad fantasy." It is not "a soft isekai"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onmi posted:

I mean that thing you described does not happen. Period. Nor is the latter thing. Actually that whole description sounds like someone gleaning something from something someone said after glancing at a blurry image. Not that it's not schlock fantasy, it just literally has none of that.

And even if it did, we have a word for these stories. It's a good one even it's been around for yonks. BAD. WE CALL THEM BAD STORIES, say it with me. "Goblin Slayer is bad fantasy." It is not "a soft isekai"

I'm not saying it's isekai, just sharing some info that my friend forwarded me. Lots of that stuff is stuff that isekai series get tons of flack for is all I'm saying. No it doesn't make it an isekai, but it does have the same flaws that often get associated with that genre whether it's valid or not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

I'm not saying it's isekai, just sharing some info that my friend forwarded me. Lots of that stuff is stuff that isekai series get tons of flack for is all I'm saying. No it doesn't make it an isekai, but it does have the same flaws that often get associated with that genre whether it's valid or not.

Perfectly okay with that because yeah we've had a slew of traditional fantasy tropes and cliches become associated with Isekai, but I just hate the Native Isekai/Soft Isekai terms so much because like... I hear that and think "Oh some dude teleported half way across the world to a place he's never been, but its still the same world." not "well it has some the same schlock cliches."

Actually the former probably exists in some form.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine like all Isekai that in the source material he eventually indulges but I remember skimming the Death March manga and I remember being kinda amused how the MC was 100% not interested in his harem because he flatly says he prefers older women and usually just ends up banging the barwench of whatever tavern they end up visiting.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onmi posted:

Perfectly okay with that because yeah we've had a slew of traditional fantasy tropes and cliches become associated with Isekai, but I just hate the Native Isekai/Soft Isekai terms so much because like... I hear that and think "Oh some dude teleported half way across the world to a place he's never been, but its still the same world." not "well it has some the same schlock cliches."

Fair point and I wasn't even aware there was kind of distinction used or some such thing. I mean I can kind of get it for describing something like Inuyasha vs Escaflowne where in the former you go back in time to a very fantasy version of Japan with demons, spirits, and magic vs the latter where it's a full on different world, but using to describe, "This isn't a different world, but it has the same poo poo as isekai" is just loving stupid and misses the definition entirely.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

"Oh some dude teleported half way across the world to a place he's never been, but its still the same world." not "well it has some the same schlock cliches."

that's tales of the abyss

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I imagine like all Isekai that in the source material he eventually indulges but I remember skimming the Death March manga and I remember being kinda amused how the MC was 100% not interested in his harem because he flatly says he prefers older women and usually just ends up banging the barwench of whatever tavern they end up visiting.

Someone probably Arisa'd themselves.

Arisa is a green lantern who looked 13 but was apparently legal because planet rotation malarkey, anyway Hal Jordan had a whyboner for her but relented once she used her ring to age up her body. Ya know just in case you thought that poo poo was a japanese thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Onmi posted:

"Oh some dude teleported half way across the world to a place he's never been, but its still the same world."
Aura Battler Dunbine does this at one point FWIW, though its well into the series IIRC and Shou also teleports to the fantasy world from regular Earth to begin with too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 10, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nothing about isekai is really unique, most stuff commonly associated with it is just stock YA anime fantasy/harem tropes that already existed. I'll also get a bit up my rear end and say even the whole conceit of isekai isn't original, they just started pulling up the ladder with irl character death to make them totally escapist.

also anime (and western pulp) fantasy was already often rooted in D&D gaming stuff, so there was already an underlying gaminess to it, even if the "world is literally an RPG readout and we take this self-seriously" is fairly new(?l

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Onmi posted:

Someone probably Arisa'd themselves.

Arisa is a green lantern who looked 13 but was apparently legal because planet rotation malarkey, anyway Hal Jordan had a whyboner for her but relented once she used her ring to age up her body. Ya know just in case you thought that poo poo was a japanese thing.

I'm laughing like loving hyena because yeah, that was EXACTLY what I thought of when I read the aging up stuff in Shield Hero which somehow manages to take something already creepy as loving hell and make it even worse by adding the slave element to it.

Motto posted:

nothing about isekai is really unique, most stuff commonly associated with it is just stock YA anime fantasy/harem tropes that already existed. I'll also get a bit up my rear end and say even the whole conceit of isekai isn't original, they just started pulling up the ladder with irl character death to make them totally escapist.

also anime (and western pulp) fantasy was already often rooted in D&D gaming stuff, so there was already an underlying gaminess to it, even if the "world is literally an RPG readout and we take this self-seriously" is fairly new(?l

Not even anime. Books have been doing that poo poo for YEARS(except maybe the harem elements). One YA series I remember was Stravaganza which was about a fantasy version of Renaissance Italy you visit when you sleep holding a talisman from that world or something. Series was ok standard YA stuff.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 10, 2019

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
my definition of isekai is 'gamey nerd poo poo which is clearly influence by videogames' and i dont care about turbonerd strict definition boundaries. goblin slayer is that. send me to anime prison for my genre crimes because who gives a gently caress when it comes to gamer fiction.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean it probably helps to use words for their actual definitions especially when trying to discuss things with other people, but sure

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Another Person posted:

my definition of isekai is 'gamey nerd poo poo which is clearly influence by videogames' and i dont care about turbonerd strict definition boundaries. goblin slayer is that. send me to anime prison for my genre crimes because who gives a gently caress when it comes to gamer fiction.

Goblin Slayer is dungeons and dragons, a table top rpg. So even your own definition is wrong. You are bad and also a villain.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it is weird to me how ryo mizuno has avoided this spiteful isekai classification despite just basing his series on tabletop games

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Another Person posted:

'Isekai' literally translated from Japanese means 'another world'. You can say that you don't like gamey fantasy, that's fine, but don't act like people are being pedantic when you are literally using the wrong terms to mean completely different things

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
goblin slayer is so clearly and thoroughly influenced by both videogames and surrounding isekai storytelling stuff that it is hard to distinguish it in my mind. yeah, the protag doesn't literally get magicked away to another world, but that is... the only real dividing line. he is otherwise exactly in line with everything else about the genre, it just makes more sense to me to use that term when it is clearly going for that genre and that market.

we call both the clash and green day punk. genre is soft, genre is marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Another Person posted:

goblin slayer is so clearly and thoroughly influenced by both videogames and surrounding isekai storytelling stuff that it is hard to distinguish it in my mind. yeah, the protag doesn't literally get magicked away to another world, but that is... the only real dividing line. he is otherwise exactly in line with everything else about the genre, it just makes more sense to me to use that term when it is clearly going for that genre and that market.

we call both the clash and green day punk. genre is soft, genre is marketing.

I really like that moe humour anime movie grave of the fireflies. This is you. This is what you sound like.