Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
SSSS.Gridman - Coming in at the end of the year to be what would be my top anime of the year if I was ranking them is Gridman. I went in knowing nothing about any previous Gridman stuff but trusted Trigger as I tend to like their shows and was mostly expecting a cool robot show. It ended up being something I found myself looking forward to each week and thinking about in between episodes.

Yuru Camp - A safe pick with it's likeable cast keeping me entertained throughout.

My Hero Academia 3rd Season - A weaker second half lets it down a little although there's still plenty to like in that second half.

Planet With - This moved at a breakneck pace and probably tried to do too much but it was packed full on fun ideas.

Aggretsuko - Retsuko is very very easy to relate to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

Bloom into You - I'm honestly surprised I'm rating a yuri romance so highly, considering romance usually isn't my kind of genre at all, but the music is beautiful, the interactions heartfelt, and the awkward fidgeting kind of touching. Definitely a great show.

Megalobox - Gritty, punchy, nostalgic with plenty of its own merits. Some people didn't like the re-upscaled look the show had, but I felt it gave it personality beyond the setting. I've never watched AnJ, but this show stands on its own feet without issue.

Hinamatsuri - A consistently funny show that had me roaring with laughter in every episode. A downright disgrace that it apparently didn't do particularly well financially.

Hakumei and Mikochi - A friend described it as "fluffy valium" and it's hard not to see their point. An incredibly comfy show that made another friend finally see the appeal of Slice of Life shows, even if he's not likely to watch another anytime soon.

Pop Team Epic - What the hell did I watch there

Honorable mentions:

Zombieland Saga - An absolute surprise hit, and what's probably going to be a lot of people's introduction to idol series. It certainly was my first foray that actually ended in me watching one. Funny, absurd, and touching all the same, sometimes all at once. Plus it featured The Legendary Tae Yamada.

Mahou Shoujo Ore - For a show this actively stupid it was surprisingly funny, and clearly a work of love. Because this definitely isn't selling.

Asobi Asobase - I went in expecting nothing and I'm not even sure what the hell I got handed back instead. Definitely a great year for shows about terrible people being terrible to each other.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I probably watched more than this but I feel like I watched three shows this year so here they are:

1. A Place further than the Universe: I wish more shows managed to do everything Yorimoi did in 12 episodes. It made me cry like a baby.

2. Yuru Camp: Charming characters and entertaining "gimmick". It doesn't try to do anything new but it doesn't need to.

3. My Hero Academia Season 3: This season probably has the best episodes of the whole show but they are followed by a weirdly paced arc that kinda drags the whole thing down.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

1. Hinamatsuri
2. Asobi Asobase
3. Mr. Tonegawa
4. Don't know
5. Don't care

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So many lists without March Comes In Like A Lion and it confuses me so.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Killing Bites.

And I blame all the smallbrains who didn't watch or buy the BDs for why we won't get a second season.

was this the animal people fighting thing or the zodiac signs battle royale?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

kater posted:

Are you asking what Killing Bites is?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

no of course not

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Killing Bites.

And I blame all the smallbrains who didn't watch or buy the BDs for why we won't get a second season.

too boring to finish imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RME posted:

too boring to finish imo

You were lucky

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kater posted:

So many lists without March Comes In Like A Lion and it confuses me so.

I would be very surprised if Juuni taisen/zodiac war ended up on anyone's list after how much it went off the rails both storywise and in terms of production in the latter half

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I didn't have much time to actually watch many series so my list mostly condenses down to "series with more than 2-3 episodes watched"

5. Isekai Izakaya: Did not live up to expectations after reading the manga, and the thing at the end of each episode got really old really quickly.

4. Today's Menu For The Emiya Family: Familiar cast from casually following parts of the fate franchise and a slice of life involving food.

3. Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online: Yeah yeah it's an SAO series that still sort of has the ~death game~ subtheme, but it was at least silly enough to be enjoyable.

2. Cells at Work!: Generally enjoyable anthropomorphic representations along with design detail calling back to actual biological properties.

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Encounter: Remake of a classic. The updated animation style was somewhat appreciated, although some of the concessions to fit the planned production schedule made it feel maybe a bit lacking.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 28, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
oh poo poo i firgot about gun gale. gun gale loving rocked

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
1.) SSSS.Gridman - I started watching this because people were waxing poetic about it in the discussion thread at the time and I was just looking for something to be background noise while doing other things. I've never followed any of those Ultraman type shows or anything like that, and while that sort of thing still comes across as really corny to me, it did not detract in the least from the most excellent everything else this series offered. I am so glad I watched this.

2.) High Score Girl - I'm old, and although I am not much of a fighting game person, there's lots of other nostalgia pandering that I was a sucker for. I couldn't help but to feel happy listening to Haruo gleefully ramble on about whatever new game or console was out at that particular time.

3.) Golden Kamuy - I haven't had the chance to read the manga, so I don't know what I'm missing. Except I've heard people talk about what I'm missing. But I don't care. The way the last few episodes of the second season really ramped up in the end is still pretty fresh in my mind. This show did its job. Now I have to read the manga.

4.) Pop Team Epic - Hellshake Yano.

5.) Megalobox - I never watched Ashita no Joe so any/all callbacks were kinda lost on me, but this show had a style to it that I really enjoyed. I thought the downscaling/upscaling thing worked pretty well.

Honorable Mention:
SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online - Because I wish I wasn't six goddamn feet tall, too.

Edit: The Joe thing.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 28, 2018

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dragon Pilot
High Score Girl
Pop Team Epic
Aggrestsuko
Devilman Crybaby
Maquia
Liz and the Blue Bird
Skullfaced Bookseller Honda
Lupin 5
JoJo
Ninja Batman
FLCL Progressive

In no particular order

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 28, 2018

Subtuna
Dec 30, 2008
1) A Place Further Than The Universe
I missed this one when it aired earlier this year but finally watched it recently and good god what a fantastic show. I can say with absolute certainty that it’s one of my favorite animes of all time. I can also say that it’ll make you a sobbing mess by the end.

Please watch it if you haven’t yet. It deserves every bit of praise it gets.

2) Golden Kamuy
GOD this show is fun to watch. Ogata is a bastard man but I love him. Fingers crossed we get a third season.

3) Yurucamp
Can’t wait for season 2

4) Hisone To Masotan
A show about learning to love yourself, and dragons too. Bones did a really good job with this one.

5) Zombieland Saga
This show came out of nowhere and was fantastic. Never thought I’d watch an Idol show, let alone cry over one (episode 8 had no right doing that to me). Fingers crossed we get a second season!

Honorable mentions:
Cells at work
Asobi Asobase
Mitsuboshi Colors

Subtuna fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 28, 2018

rvm
May 6, 2013
1) SSSS.Gridman
2) Planet With
3) Asobi Asobase
4) Cells At Work
5) High Score Girl

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
*Checks list for Girls Last Tour, realizes it was 2017* :stare:

Cells at Work!
Hakumei & Mikochi
Love is Hard for Otaku
Yuru Camp
Slow Start

Others:
Skull-faced Bookseller Honda-san
Comic Girls
Hoozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season - I think it and the first season are great but I've not seen anyone else ever mention it. S2 might have only been on HiDive until recently but Crunchroll added it recently.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1) Asobi Asobase
2) My Hero Academia
3) Devilman Crybaby
4) Yuru Camp
5) Overlord II (Not 3 that goat cg killed it)

A bunch of other honorable mentions like Hinamatsuri, and Cells at Work (except I haven't finished either).

:effort:

I didn't watch Gridman because reading you guys' discussions and screencaps suited me just fine. I don't know why I never saw Place Further than Universe or Planet With or GGO. Am I too cynical?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 28, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

slime and jojo aren't over so they don't count

assuming you don't wanna waste two of your spots

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

bahamut posted:

5.) Megalobox - I never watched Crusher Joe so any/all callbacks were kinda lost on me, but this show had a style to it that I really enjoyed. I thought the downscaling/upscaling thing worked pretty well.

:eng99:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

dogsicle posted:

slime and jojo aren't over so they don't count

assuming you don't wanna waste two of your spots

he may not have read the op but at least he didnt nominate goblin slayer

baby steps for grouchio

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

Ugh. Sorry. I see what I did. So many different Joes to keep track of!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

1. Pop Team Epic - I had no idea what they were going to do or how they would pull off making this into an anime, but they did it. They did it in ways that I don't even properly understand. They did it beyond any possible expectations. They just loving did it.

2. Hinamatsuri - Great mix of being a heartwarming dad anime and a funny comedy about Hina being the absolute worst.

3. High Score Girl - Somehow made me nostalgic for arcade times, and I barely even ever went to arcades as a kid.

4. Zombieland Saga - Completely insane premise, nails every second of it.

5. Devilman Crybaby - First time running into Devilman, and this managed to be great on style points alone. Felt like a lot of it was just awful things happening for the sake of being darker, though...

Honorable Mention:
Cells at Work
Aggretsuko
Bunny Girl Senpai

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

bahamut posted:

Ugh. Sorry. I see what I did. So many different Joes to keep track of!

It's okay lol. I just thought it'd be funny to point out because of my av

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
1. Planet With
Best show of the year. I love the characters, the themes it runs with and the sound mixing is on point.
If my only complaint it that I would have liked more, then it has to be something special.

2. That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime
Slime Time is my favorite time of the week. It's just a wonderful feel good show.

3. Zombieland Saga
This show made me like an idol anime.

4. Overlord III
SPLATSPLATSPLATSPLAT

5. Pop Team Epic
Probably the most laughs per minute show this year.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 28, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Phew! This was another year where the grand slams just kept coming. At points, I actually had a hard time thinking up just how to put this post together, given how many good-to-great-to-excellent-to-hella-fine shows I liked and how to go about posting my top 5.

Much like Boney boy up there, I started wondering "Oh crap, but what if it ain't enough? Oh crap! What if I don't gots what it takes to make the team?"

For now, let's talk honorable mentions first:

- Skull-faced Bookseller Honda: Even with the simplistic animation, it's funny as fret and at 12 minutes a piece, it never overstays its welcome. EXTREMELY BINGEABLE.
- Megalobox: While it lacked some punch in places, it was a blast. Best soundtrack of the year, too.
- Harukana Receive: Cute story about bonds and how to make/amend/strengthen them, using beach volleyball as a backdrop; despite being based off of an ongoing manga, it has a fairly satisfying conclusion.
- How to Keep a Mummy / Hey, your cat ears are showing!: If you like cuteness, get on with these shows! Thoroughly enjoyable.
- Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens: It basically felt like a Ryohgo Narita joint, which is like catnip for the fool writing this.
- Hinamatsuri: Great dad manga becomes a great dad anime. A heartfelt show with a bunch of idiots, some who learn, some who take time, some... well, getting mad with them is just not worth the hassle. Would've probably made the list, if not for...

:banjo: The TOP 5 :banjo:

5) A Place Further than the Universe: "Wait, what the gently caress?" is what you're probably thinking. "Wark, are you boozing again? You irresponsible fucker! BAN THIS SICK FILTH". :rant: Yes, in spite of being one of the shows that will hopefully serve as gateway for people to get into anime, I didn't like it as much as the shows that'll come below. That is not to say I didn't absolutely love it, though.

It is a great show and again, one that I loved watching. Hell, I've rewatched it this past week since it first aired and I think I like it more than when it first aired. Probably one of the great originals we got in the past decade, and it pretty much has everything you could want from a baker's dozen anime, including great character and overall writing, fan-drat-tastic visuals + animation, and a simple, yet incredibly powerful message: Get out of your comfort zone and bust a move! In any other year, this would've probably dominated my list and I totally understand if it wins ADTRW's 2018 Anime of the Year.

4) March Comes in like a Lion: Another incredible show, but goddamn was hard to get through it at times. Not for a lack of quality, mind you. In fact, as far as Shaft shows go, I honestly would put it along or even above the best franchise Shaft has tackled. Yes, I'm talking about Hidamari Sketch. The show will reward you with some of the best moments anime has to offer just as a way to keep putting in the work.

Both seasons total 44 episodes (and I think it's one of the few shows that Crunchyroll has available absolutely everywhere) and they contain some of the best television I have seen in a long time. Just remember: The show is gonna put you through the feelings wringer sometimes.

3) Yuru Camp: This one was going to be my undisputed show of the year but again, I told you: it was a great year for anime. A fantastic show about camping, friendship, eating and feeling as C O M F Y and chill as possible. Nadeshiko is an infectious bundle of energy and I cannot help but to love her and all the characters that this joint introduced. Beware the fluffy shooberinos, though! Cute though they might be, they want to eat you for lunch!

2) SSSS.Gridman: Trigger saved anime, y'all. For a show ostensibly all about tokusatsu'ing and whatnot, it sure as hell did something really, really cool with regards to character exploration and how to deal with the bumps that often pop up on one's road. It also has Tokusatsu, characters that actually sound like moody-rear end teenagers and more trivia than you can shake a cool, collectible stick at. It has the best boy of all year and I love it (both the show and the aforementioned boy) to pieces. All killer, no filler.

1) Zombieland Saga: "So it begins. The name of our main character is Sakura. She's 16 years old, and is supposed to be one of the heroines of this story, but oddly enough... well, she's dead".

Terrible mangling of the introduction for YuYu Hakusho aside, out of the 5 shows in this list, this one probably feels like the 'goofiest'. It's almost as if it was dreamed up in the morning after a totally slamming bender and written on the least greasy side of an almost empty pizza box with red crayon that the person kept trying to eat thinking that it was pepperoni because brother, the hangover is real. I mean:
  • Zombies? Played out as hell.
  • Idols? While not as niche as it may have been at one time, they're not for everyone.
  • Show sponsored by the prefecture where it takes place in order to drum up tourism? FUHGEDDABOUDIT...!

... and yet, I thoroughly ate it up. Even the "weak" episodes have moments that will resonate with you, be it that they pump you up with HOT-BLOODED FLAVOR, tug at your heart-strings like it promised to bring back your pet/best friend/lover/relative, or make you almost choke out from all the laughter that'll make you crack up when you remember it at the most inappropriate of times. I liked it so much that I honest to goodness got interested on Idol Shows, despite my previous distance from them, with Aikatsu being the one I liked the most so far from my first serious foray into the genre, but I'm getting off topic.

In 12 episodes, Zombieland Saga is succinct, punchy and has a giant, beating heart that will get you reeling back to life... sorta; I mean, if you're dead, you're probably just gonna switch to being undead. Oh, and if you're into "Who's best girl?" discussions, THEY ALL ARE.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 28, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Let's try this again. (refers to last post)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 28, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
This was an incredibly, densly packed year for great anime. I think it's the first time I've ever had enough for an honorable mentions list, and also had difficulty in the precise ranking order.

5. Skull-faced Bookseller Honda-san
Just good.

4. Zombieland Saga
I still miss how great the first two episodes were compared to the rest, but it's still a really funny anime.

3. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
It took me a lot of effort to start watching this one and I am really glad I did.

2. Megalobox
Megalobox!!!!

1. Hinamatsuri
Hinamatsuri.

Honorable mentions to:
Osomatsu-san 2nd Season (voted this on my top 5 last year but it didn't count????)
Pop Team Epic (a positive experience, but not one that's stuck with me)
Both Aggretsuko (cute and relatable, but I think Skull-faced Bookseller did it better)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
1 ssss.gridman
I think this is show had a polished look, its locations were well designed, spent the most appropriate time with its supporting cast and main characters, had appropriately length action scenes that left you satisfied but didn’t overstay their welcome, developed its plot extremely well, its plot was interesting, and had an appropriate conclusion.

There’s the dream sequence episode that was absolutely wonderful in developing some key themes that may have been understated otherwise, and was also beautiful.

2 revue of starlight
I’m probably listening to the insert songs for the 15-20th time. This show was ambitious and beautiful imo, and it gave a performance that outshone many other anime this year. It had fantastic visuals and worked well with its large cast of supporting characters. I loved its transformation sequences and the stage. I liked the two leads and the relationships between all the characters that left me hoping for more. I liked how gay it was.

3 bloom into you
I really liked the character’s expressions while watching this. Its also an extremely good yuri love story which puts it ahead of so much chaff imo. The characters have an interesting dynamic that makes me want to watch more. I liked how a character owned their homophobic ex. There were many emotional moments in which I was extremely invested. For a drama that’s basically success right? The two leads are great and have a good dynamic, the third wheel is likeable. Other people can probably explain it better but it’s some good poo poo. I vicariously felt a lot of emotions through empathy.

4 hinamatsuri
It was a fantastic situational comedy? Hina and Nitta have a good relationship. They have a wonderful supporting cast of characters that are all usually the perfect straight men for their position. Hinamatsuri always ramps up the absurdity and awkwardness when it has to.

5 violet evergarden
I didn’t watch the antarctic one, and I’m pretty sure it’d be on this list otherwise. Violet Evergarden made me cry at one point so that’s a point in it’s favour. I really liked watching the main character become able to express herself better and deal with her ptsd and loss. It’s another beautiful show, it’s story is slow but lovely if you have the patience for it.

Bunny Girl Sempai show
I really liked this show! It was great! The main character has a wonderful relationship with his love interest and the supporting cast. The intro and outro (ED?) were fantastic and catchy. The dialogue is good. I dunno. Maybe it should be no 5? But in the end I think enough people like it to give it its due. Violet Evergarden probably won’t get a whole lot of votes and frankly I’m on the fence about that slot anyways.

High Score Girl
I remember seeing a lot of buzz and I want to watch it.

I also should have watched more anime like 6 months + ago so I would have a more complete list.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Knorth's Favourite Animes of 2018 in no particular Order

-YuruCamp
Pretty much a perfect adaption of a really lovely manga

-Hakumei & Mikochi
See Above

-Rokohodo Yotsuiro Biyori
What a delightful surprise this was

-After the Rain
This was such a sweet little character drama

-Hanebado
Harukana was also up for this spot as the extremely warm-hearted mirror to Hanebado's intense if often unhealthy sports drama. Harukana might have the best sports mum of anime but Hanebado has Aragaki, true hero of the people.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

1.Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues: Really funny comedy that makes you completely forget the characters were villains of Kaiji. I also like how it explores the logistics side of an evil organization.
2. Overlord II: Good adaptation of the LN, and even managed to improve things by speeding up the pacing of the one bad novel.
3. Pop Team Epic: A lot of great segments, and it was willing to experiment with things.
4. Cells at Work: Surprisingly entertaining educational anime.
5. Devilman Crybaby: A really great adaptation of Go Nagai's manga. The characters were really fleshed out, and I was dreading the tragedy that was going to befall them all.

Honorable Mention:
Overlord III: Its a shame they hosed up the animation for such an important event in the story. It could've been great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, I can count at least twenty new shows I watched enough of to feel like I can say something about them. This was a dense year. But, you know. This isn't ALL anime of 2018. This is the best. So, without further lollygagging...

5) Hisone to Maso-tan
The Netflix delay meant I didn't see this one until pretty late, but I'm glad I did. IBO left me interested in checking out more of Mari Okada's work, and it really paid off. The cast is likable, the romances work, the jokes land, and when it raises the stakes, you actually care enough about the characters for them to matter. Add in the charming art style and an ED that makes me think of tuning into a random radio station late at night on a long drive in the best way, and it manages to make the list, despite a lot of competition.

4) Sword Art Online Alternative Gale Gun Online
A bunch of likable complete lunatics commit grotesque violence on complete strangers and each other! ...But it's all VR, so it's okay.

GGO was funny, reasonably paced, and had some top shelf action scenes. It wasn't the deepest, but it also didn't outstay its welcome and I liked all of the leads, which is a pretty decent place for a show to be.

Really, though, the Pitohui massacre scene was what got it the spot. Nothing quite like seeing a woman smile as she launches a head flying to make your heart skip a beat.

3) Megalobox

Smooth soundtrack, old school style, and a protagonist who makes Spike's deathwish feel like a mild death yen? Yeah, that's a hook.

Megalobox never quite made that step to greatness, but it delivered a solid, engaging story week to week, with commentary on the same issues that made the original Joe so famous in the first place, and hits that made you wince.

2) A Place Further than the Universe

What can I say that hasn't been said? I'm not much for the four-ish girls doing things genre, but everyone's praise made me check this one out, and the comedy kept me coming back. All the characters, even minor ones, are engaging and distinct, the emotional beats are properly built up and paid off, the animation is gorgeous, and the premise is brilliant. Instead of feeling like you were just goofing off with the core cast, every episode made steps towards a goal that you were invested in as a viewer. And it even had the confidence to have the biggest emotional payoff before the final episode!

I'm not arguing with anyone who places it in first.

1) SSSS Gridman

It's just I like giant monster fights.

Yes, everyone talks about how this show is so much more, and it is, how the comedy and drama and characterization and portrayal of depression are so good, how the audio dramas and background events mean that even bit players like Rikka's mom and Akko feel like interesting people, but let's be clear.

This is still a show where Hyper Agent Gridman beats the ever loving poo poo out of a kaiju (almost) every week, and it's good at that too. After so much disappointment with the year's giant monster combat, I needed that.

Honorable mentions (This is going to be a long list)
Hinamatsuri. A good adaptation, but it lost enough from the manga that I can't feel comfortable putting it in the top five. Still hilarious, of course, and well worth watching, but losing most of Hina's best scenes and arcs does hurt when she's, you know, the title character.

Aggretsuko: Who doesn't like bitter, jaded office lady pandas? Probably communists. But remember, she's a red panda, so there's something for them too. The jokes land, the characters are relatable, and nothing wears out its welcome.

Rascal does not dream of bunnygirl senpai: Another good cast, great banter, and Mai manages to both be entirely out of our Rascal's league while being a perfect match. The first arcs were better fleshed out than the later ones, but even at the end, the show was pretty good.

Mr. Tonegawa's Middle Mangement Blues: It's all been said, but yeah. This was fun. Just less fun when it didn't have the extra layer of planning for deathtraps.

Devilman Crybaby: This post is getting long, so I'll just note that Doomguy and Devilman have similar taste in entertainment. I'm not saying they're the same guy, but...

FLCL Progressive: I know. I know. It's definitely not as good as the original, it's uneven, the ending isn't as good as the episode five setup for it, but there's actually something here, and I'll defend the show if I have to. The main character's arc is a nice balance to Naota's, the shifting styles sometimes really work, and in general it felt like there was a really solid show in here somewhere that didn't quite come together. I'd still give it a seven.

Good year for anime, I think.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Looking at the list, I guess I actually watched a decent amount of anime this year, and almost all of it was good.

1. Yurucamp
I tend to really like comfy SOL stuff, and I think everything about this show is perfect.

2. A Place Further Than the Universe
Definitely the best show I watched all year, but it just barely loses out to Yurucamp for my personal favorite.

3. Liz and the Bluebird
Not sure if it counts for these lists, but I really loved this movie. Getting to see it both at AX w/the Ushio Kensuke panel and then again when it released in theaters here was also a big plus.

4. Hinamatsuri
I'm not much of a manga reader, so all I knew about this going in was "it's supposed to be funny", but this was hilarious and I think I died laughing every episode.

5. Today's Menu for the Emiya Family
It's the best Fate anime.

Honorable mentions:
Bloom Into You
Zombieland Saga
Revue Starlight
Comic Girls

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Lists are hard and there's a lot of stuff I liked this year but if I must narrow it down. But first other cool shows I liked a lot that couldn't make it into my 5.
Gurazeni is a good look at baseball and the stuff going on behind the scenes.
Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues is good comedy going-on in the evil corporation behind Kaiji
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online is fun and has girls becoming murder girlfriends in an mmo.
Zombieland Saga almost made my top 5 list, but there's a bunch of other stuff I want to acknowledge above it. Heavily recommended anyways
Today`s Menu for the Emiya Family for just being nice Fate slice of life.
Idolish7 is a good idol show featuring boys. Has a good blend of drama and comedy. I'm sure squark will have a better write-up as to why.

Saiki Kusuo s2 is still just as good as ever and everyone should also watch it.
Hugtto Precure is disqualified due to not actually ending in 2018, but it's honestly my favorite Precure with my favorite Precure lead. The crossover stuff hurts the pacing a bit admittedly, but the crossover stuff is also super rad so I can't begrudge it too much, and hopefully it'll stick the landing.

AND MY TOP 5 IS

5. Revue Starlight https://files.catbox.moe/2qfnlw.webm
https://files.catbox.moe/wb6z2r.webm
4. Yurucamp for being cozy as hell and having good camping with good delicious food
3. Akanesasu Shoujo for being about a bunch of goofballs jumping through different universes, and having the best ending.
2.A Place Further than the Universe cause it's the goddamn best and you should all watch it

Bang Dream Garupa Pico!!!! is just the best

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually watched enough anime that I can do a top 5 list this year that's not "here's all the anime I watched this year". I'unno if I should be happy about that. Anyway.

Dragon Ball Super

Representing Latino culture here. DBS had some low lows, but when it was hot, it was probably the hottest DB has been since the Saiyan Saga, godDAMN. Despite a weak antagonist in the Tournament of Power Arc, it still managed to stick the landing with one of the best fights in the series. It might not be as good as some of the other anime that aired this year, but it's definitely the one I had the most fun watching week-to-week.

Zombieland Saga

Goddamnit, I watched a fuckin' idol show of my own volition this year. gently caress. Regardless, Zombieland Saga was very wholesome, full of heart, surprisingly progressive and managed to make every single main character feel like someone you should care about, which is pretty hard with such a big ensemble cast. The zombie aspect of it barely came into play sometimes, but I appreciated that the writers didn't go for cheap "will they get caught" drama or played into the zombieness of it all. It's just an excuse to get a bunch of weirdos together so that they can sing, dance and make amends/peace with their former life's bullshit.

Devilman Crybaby

I only had a passing familiarity with the original material and I wanted Netflix to gently caress me up real good, so I put this on and man, did it deliver. It was very dark without getting too tryhard edgy, most of the REALLY hosed up stuff is implied rather than shown, but it also had some very funny moments and even managed to be hopeful every now and then! Except it was always a setup to just fuckin' destroy your hopes because it's depressing as poo poo.

Pop Team Epic

I hadn't read much of the 4koma before watching the anime so Pop Team Epic was pretty fresh for me. It just went in and never stopped going in, and you have to appreciate an anime that commits to a shitpost aesthetic as hard as this one did. Since it's skit comedy at its core, not all segments landed every single episode, but it was fast-paced enough that it didn't really matter. I'm not sure how I feel about the male/female VA gimmick (mostly because it was a bit underutilized) but it gave us MARILYN MONROE so it was worth it overall.

SSSS.Gridman

This is a late-rear end contender (I finished it yesterday) but it definitely deserves to be on this list. Nowadays I read "Trigger" and I get super worried, but Gridman was just an incredibly well-crafted Toku anime with little to no Trigger Bullshit in it, and a very interesting main antagonist - that probably carried the show IMHO. It had just enough mystery to keep you engaged but also didn't sacrifice its pacing to drag on those mysteries, it didn't rely on a massive twist/HERE'S THE REAL VILLAIN to drive the plot forward, and it builds up on its very simplistic Monster of the Week early episodes to deliver a pretty good message on its final episodes.

---

Other poo poo I Watched That Is Probably Worth Mentioning

Bookseller Honda-san is snack food anime about retail and it's charming and funny.

Megalobox was Quite Good, and it's not on my main list for very arbitrary reasons and because there's just something about it that makes it feel like it's underachieving, considering its universe and all.

Asobi Asobase fit a Nichijou Niche that I'll always enjoy, it just wasn't as good as Pop Team Epic so it's here. Grand Blue is also rear end in a top hat Friends Being Assholes but the cousin romance poo poo is bad even before you consider the incest angle. Really funny when it's just drunk people doing stupid poo poo tho.

Violet Evergarden made me cry a couple of times and it's a fuckin' looker. I wasn't super into the early "weird robotic girl learns how to love" chapters tho. However, when it decides to just be slice-of-life stories and Violet takes a backseat, it's a tearjeaker thru and thru. Plus it has some sick-rear end fight scenes!

Dias fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 29, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am so happy the wonderful and lovable bkub became a superstar with his hit Pop Team Epic

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Watched less than I thought of stuff specifically from this year, so in ascending order of awesome:

5. Dragon Ball Super
Didn't expect to pick this up, but did catch up into parts from this year I guess.

4. The Ancient Magus's Bride
I loved every minute of this for many reasons and really hope it gets another round once there's a tad more material.

3. Hinamatsuri
Dad stuff is instinctual, and this poked at it constantly. Only one thing ever gets solved by psychic powers, which I find hilarious.

2. SSSS.Gridman
I barely remember Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad from my childhood, but this stood strong on its own.

1. Megalobox
http://caliber.online/h63zv.mp4
100% loving delivers on hype from the very first episode.

Honorable Mention: Wei, Kanjian Erduo La! (Hey, Your Cat Ears are Showing!)

Shoulda/gonna watch:
Yurucamp
Garo Vanishing Line
Bunny Girl Senpai
Sirius the Jaeger
Bloom Into You
Steins;Gate 0

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 29, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's a bunch of things I want to finish before voting, but I think a couple movies (that I watched) should also be on the list:
pre:
MAQUIA
Mirai no Mirai
Penguin Highway
Non Non Biyori: Vacation
And yes you missed BanG Dream Girls Band Party Pico too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man it was tough figuring out the top 5 for this year so I'm gonna have a pretty hefty honorable mentions list. Lets get that out of the way first:

Honorable Mentions:

My Hero Academia S3 - Season 3 had hands down some of the best moments of the series and of 2018. The three big fights of the season (you know which ones) were outstanding and genuinely emotional highpoints. The License Exam arc was a bit weak though which probably kept it from the top 5.

Hanebado - Consistently amazing animation and choreography on top of a plot that was personally engrossing. For some it was too melodramatic but I was engaged throughout. Darth Ayano was the mvp and I'm still gutted she lost in the end.

Zombieland Saga - Yeah, the hype is real. With 2 of the most surprising and best episodes of the year at the start of the show, although it never quite reaches those heights again it was always a delight to watch. The girls are great and Mamoru Miyano just kills it.

Bloom Into You - Yuri at its finest. It really nails the buildup and the characters are well fleshed out and psychologically deep.

Bunnygirl-Senpai - Just consistently fantastic. Very witty and engaging, I was surprised it didn't make the top 5 but in the end it didn't quite get me like some other shows that did.

Yuru Camp - The very peak of fluff shows. Yuru Camp did exactly what it should do every step of the way and as someone who's very introverted and reclusive, Rin's story was very satisfying personally.

Takagi-San - Takagi and Nishitaka's relationship was cute as gently caress. Every week it charmed me and every week it infuriated me (in a good way) that this dumbass just kept walking into the owns. Good show.

And finally in no order....

MY TOP 5:

Hinamatsuri
Man I did not expect to be crying like a baby at this comedy about psychic-shenanigans, but drat if it did not get me. Not only does it have fantastic comedic timing and a real standout and funny cast but it absolutely nails the drama as well in really unexpected ways. I had to stop myself from continuing into the manga and only mostly succeeded. Also sometimes some psychic stuff happened, so that was nice.

SSSS.Gridman
I've never been a huge fan of tokusatsu shows but I absolutely understand the appeal after watching this. The show just hit everything out of the park; the buildup for the plot, the action, the villains, the reveals.... it was just great. It felt that it set out to do something that it wanted to do and accomplished it. Akane was a fantastic character the whole way through and somehow Rikka being understated as a character actually worked out in the end. Also, would those two be selfcest? Because they were definitely a thing way more than either were for freaking Yuta. I'm just saying.

A Place Farther Than The Universe
One of the two shows that made me consistently cry week after week that aired in Winter 2018, everyone else has already said how good this show is. If I was ranking these this would be at number 1. The characters and drama were perfect. It was funny and charming. It was heartbreaking. It absolutely loving killed it. Also, the girls are alright.

Violet Evergarden
And this is the other show that made me bawl over and over again. I was totally ready for the show to set its pace and get to those emotional highs and boy when it did it got the hell out of me. In fact episode 10 hit me so hard that I actually called my mum afterwards to have a heart to heart. And like, my god that animation. It was like Kyoto Animation was showing off how good they could do it, just because they could.

Asobi Asobase
In a season with Grand Blue and Chio-chan, this show absolutely beat the poo poo out of both of them from a comedy standpoint. Episode 4 was just flat out the funniest thing I've seen all year. There really isn't anything deeper about the show other than that it was just hilarious. This is personally one of my all-time favorite comedy anime now.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
It's been quite the year for me, tumbling headlong into a full year of anime for the first time, and I watched a ton of shows!

Honorary Mentions:
Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack On Titan), season 3
High Score Girl
Mahoutsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus's Bride)
Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (Horse Girls: Pretty Derby)
Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia), season 3
Rokuhoudou Yotsuri Biyori
Megalo Box
Hisone no Maso-tan
Asobi Asobase

And my top 5...

5. Violet Evergarden
Beautiful and emotionally-satisfying!

4. Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Love Is Like After The Rain)
The premise sounded a little off at first but I'm glad I gave it a chance because it thrilled me!

3. Seishun Buta Yarou was Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai (Rascal Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai)
It was Monogatari without the meta, and even the rushed second half couldn't take away its charm.

2. Yuru Camp (Laid Back Camp)
Just adorable! This was the year I discovered iyashikei was my thing.

1. Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (A Place Further Than The Universe)
A weekly joy-ride of wonderful characters doing something I never knew I wanted to do but now want to do!