Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
I really dug akanesasu shoujo but I'm honestly surprised it's on so many best of lists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I watched a lot of shows this year, and especially a lot this last season and most shows I think are generally pretty good quality so there is a lot to sift through. Actually fall 2018 I was PACKED, lots of good shows so it is hard to keep them from overshadowing stuff I liked that isn't as fresh in my memory.

If I'm going to rank things, then one show definitely stands out from everything else, I remember more of it and remember it more clearly than half the shows I've watched in the current season even:
1: A Place Further Than The Universe
Like in the episode where they couldn't find Hinata's passport, I seriously felt anxious along side the characters (possibly because I travel internationally often enough that losing my passport would also make me just about panic). Also anytime Shirase told someone or something off was pretty much fist pumping fantastic. A spectacular show that I will probably rewatch every year or two.

2: March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season
I really enjoyed the first season, and the second only further cemented how much I like it. Hoping for more, or I may break down and read the manga.

3: Yuru Camp
Okay, I just really liked this show, slow, relaxing, pulled me right in and melted any stress away pretty much guaranteed for 20 minutes a week. And the low key jokes like secret society: blanket. And the gags with the dogs (I'm not even a dog person and I still liked it!). And the pine cone going "konnichwa" out loud.

4: Encouragement of Climb Third Season / Yama no Susume: Third Season
I liked the first two seasons, and I still liked the third season enough to rank it here. Having characters we are already invested in is perhaps cheating a little, but it remains a solid watch.

5: SSSS.Gridman
Honestly 4 and 5 were pretty hard to decide on, I'm going to put gridman here because it was solidly executed all the way through and sticking the landing counts for a lot.

Honoroable mentions:
After The Rain / Love is Like After The Rain (one of the toss ups for rank 4 or 5)
As Miss Beelzebub Likes (super fluffy)
Asobi Asobase (had a few of the most hilarious segments this year)
Attack on Titan Season 3
Cells at Work!
Chio's School Road (almost tied up with asobi for funniest segments/self owns)
Hakumei & Mikochi
Hanebado! (ayano at various stages of insanity was memorable)
Harukana Receive
Hinamatsuri (I would probably rate this higher if I hadn't read the manga which is so hilarious I think my ribs still hurt)
Hisone to Maso-tan / Dragon Pilot
Iroduku: The World in Colors
Killing Bites (stupid, really stupid, but somehow entertaining anyway, if you think about it you lose)
Kokkoku (asspull ending kinda hurt this a little)
Love is Hard for Otaku
Megalobox (could have ranked this in the top 5, really enjoyed it, great soundtrack)
Ms. Vampire Who Lives in my Neighborhood (who is afraid of ghosts)
My Hero Academia 3rd Season (couldn't really rank this because I read the manga)
Planet With (I thought about putting this in my top 5, but maybe it was a little too quickly paced, could have used 2-3 more episodes)
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (good show, really liked the main couple)
Record of Grancrest War (had some ups and downs with this, fairly satisfying ending though)
Slow Start (got a kick every time the flirty girl got owned by the teacher)
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online (easily could have ranked in the top 5, but a few slow episodes in the middle kind of let it down)
Teasing Master Takagi (how is Nishikata going to own himself today)
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K Season 2
The Girl in Twilight / Akanesasu Shoujo (good ending)
Thunderbolt Fantasy Sword Seekers 2
Toji no Miko (the first episode had a ton of awful "high school girls fight CGI monsters" cliches, which it promptly disposed of by the second episode and was pretty solid from then on)
Violet Evergarden (had some really good episodes, but when it was more about Violet herself it wasn't as interesting)
Zombieland Saga

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Top 5 in no particular order

A Place Further Than The Universe I'm just echoing the praise for this show at this point. Solid characters, cool subject, great themes, good humor, an absolute complete package.

Gun Gale Online Solid characters with great action sequences. Just a real fun show.

Planet With Again solid characters and hands down my favorite mecha designs in any anime ever.

Gintama 2018 Wild ride that had me rolling especially the finale.

My Hero Academia S3 Never watched the first 2 seasons, watched this one cause I knew what was coming and it did not disappoint.

Honorable mentions

Aggretsuko & Double Decker Got these two together cause a lot of my problems with both shows are made up with how good the characters are.
Dragon Ball Super The final fight literally had me cheering and shouting out loud.

Honorable mentions to shows that won't finish until 2019

Baki Brutal fighting show, someone gets his hand cut off and he responds by punching the dude who cut off his hand with his loving stub arm in the face. Unfortunately I got wait until 2019 for Netflix to upload the second half of the season.
JoJo Part 5 A stellar adaptation so far and will probably continue being so in 2019.
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime A very endearing show with a ton cute little animation details.

Little side note, one thing 2018 has taught me is that I'm super into character driven stuff. You can have the most generic save the world plot, but if you got excellent characters to back it up I'll allow it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Little side note, one thing 2018 has taught me is that I'm super into character driven stuff. You can have the most generic save the world plot, but if you got excellent characters to back it up I'll allow it.

Surprised Gridman isn't on your list then.

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
I finished 33 of the shows on OP's list, which is more than I expected before I listed them out. There were so many good shows this year that I spent far too long narrowing it down to just 5, so I won't bother explaining my choices.

1. A Place Further Than The Universe
2. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K S2
3. March Comes In Like a Lion S2
4. Hinamatsuri
5. Yuru Camp

Honorable mentions: Bloom Into You, Hisone to Maso-tan, Bunny Girl Senpai, Violet Evergarden

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Surprised Gridman isn't on your list then.

I actually haven't watched it yet.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
1. Devilman Crybaby

This was the first time I’ve ever watched or read about devilman and I was loving FLOORED. Suddenly so many things in anime just make sense. Devilman definitely inspired sooooo much of my favorite series that it’s just insane to me that I never really knew about it! Honestly idk what to say other than that it’s perfect. This show is so loving weird and goes places I did not expect them to and it’s only 10 episodes. What a perfect length imo. I loving loved every single character. I loving shed tears at some points as well (especially towards the end). This show is insane! It’s a must watch and nothing else came even close to touching it in my opinion. It’s a drat masterpiece. It just OOZES style with its art style and animation, music, and so much more. It’s a loving vibe. 10/10

2. Megalo Box

Another short and sweet series based on an older series I’ve never watched! At first I thought this was gonna be some enchanted exoskeleton sports anime, turns out it was but it also wasn’t. The journey you go with these characters as they rise up is just so loving good. And honestly the ending really threw me for a loop and didn’t go for the easy layup, instead it presented something so much more interesting with the decisions the show runners made as well as ending it on that epilogue. Honestly same things apply here as with devilman. There is just SO MUCH STYLE. I love the way everything looks, I love the character designs, and I love the music. Fantastic.

3. Dragon Ball Super

Listen if you’re Mexican or any sort of Latin American then you know you need to have anything Dragon Ball on your list. The tournament of power was dope and lasted forever. It had some some downtime and some bad moments. But honestly it’s hosed up that I still really enjoy watching my favorite dbz characters continue to duke it out. Super has been a weird ride but it ended so strong. It’s easy to stop caring about the bad details when you watch with friends. Enjoyed the gently caress out of it.

4. My hero academia

Show continues to be good despite the second half just being somewhat boring. I’m excited to see where it goes, but honestly I’m feeling some sort of diminishing returns with the series as it gains more popularity and I see it pop up everywhere. Idk what it is about it but it’s low key turning me off watching it. Will prob still watch the next season though.

5. Food wars!

Honestly this show is trashy as gently caress but I’m a sucker for anything that has to do with competitive cooking tv. I just really enjoy it purely on the scenes when they’re cooking or they are competing. This season was definitely weaker than previous and even then those weren’t that great either. I guess I didn’t finish many anime this year (the ones that did finish at least I guess) but I still found myself going back to this show. Comfort food basically.

I want to really watch SSSS.Gridman after seeing everyone here go off about it. It’ll prob bump off food wars from my list when I watch it.

Special dishonorable mention:

Darling in the franxx

Words can’t even begin to describe my disappointment with this show. The journey from the initial kinda interesting premise with some very weird or hosed up ideas (just how they operate the mechs at all was just the dumbest poo poo ever) just did not pan out. If anything the show actively got worse as it went on, but especially towards the second half and then the final few episodes were it just jumped off a cliff with both middle fingers in the air. This show loving sucked, I’m honestly amazed at myself for even finishing it. It seriously was just such a bummer all year.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 30, 2018

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

5. Rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai is a very long title for something that could be uncharitably described as "like Monogatari, but happening in the real world". It's... more than that, but that's not a bad summary.
4.Citrus Somewhat ridiculous melodramatic romance antics elevated to greatness by their amazing characters.
3.Jashin-chan Dropkick was a better comedy show than that one you liked. Fight me.
2. Zombie Land Saga "Idol show with a weird twist" is basically its own subgenre at this point, but this one has the humour and (exposed, still-beating) heart to make you care.
1. Hinamatsuri "Psionic child adopted by shady parental figure" is also somehow a subgenre now, and I'm glad. This was probably the most consistently funny show of the year.

Things that might be on this list if I re-made it 10 minutes from now: The Ancient Magus' Bride, Violet Evergarden, Yuru Camp, Pop Team Epic, Asobi Asobase, Gun Gale Online, Double Decker.

Honestly, I feel like watched a whole lot of goofy stuff this year, and sort of avoided the big dramas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• 1. A Place Farther Than the Universe - a complete gem of a show, every aspect of it was just wonderful
  • 2. Planet With - Behold, the universe is full of blessings

• 3. Hinamatsuri - somehow simultaneously gut-bustingly funny and heartwarmingly touching
  • 4. Bloom Into You - full of little character touches and i'm super into seeing what happens next. Time to finally start the manga
  • 5. Zombieland Saga - wins this spot over the ones below simply by coming absolutely out of nowhere for me

ZLS is pretty much tied with SAO: GGO, Yuru Camp, Today's Menu for the Emyia Family, Revue Starlight and SSSS Gridman all of which i could probably argue into my top 5, but gotta pick something.

I'm still waaay behind on March Comes in Like a Lion, but man is it good
My Hero Academia is still a blast
Wotakoi was pretty drat good, i really need to pick the manga up now

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 13, 2019

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really have to time to think about other things so I just want to talk about my favorite 2018 anime, Idolish7.

I was really skeptical of any male idol-centric show being good watching The Idolm@ster SideM and seeing it amount to a whole lot of nothing. Idolish7's setup of having a young woman manager being the single female character in the show also made me worry it'd be as substanceless as other otome game-like adaptations. So I began watching it with the idolwatch stream, begrudgingly acknowledging each decent joke that came up.

Then came the post credits scene in episode 4, where a man collapses after performing while ill and one of his fellow idols calls for some oxygen.

And someone fetches some cans of oxygen.

That was when I came around on the show. Soap opera-esque shows with dramatic premises and passionate acting are a real treat to watch, and I find it especially enjoy them in idol or card game anime, like Pretty Rhythm or Cardfight Vanguard. It provides a surprising amount of unpredictability. Sometimes, someone from your rival idol group will steal your song and put it out before you do. Sometimes, you'll have a tournament that's critical for you to win, and you'll lose and just have to deal with the consequences. There's never any conveniences to save you.

Idolish7 does have a few more otome-ish scenes in the beginning, but it soon shifts to having the boys interact and deal with their problems with each other. The anime does a great job getting across how they really do care about each other, like showing the guys secretly follow the other guy in the group while he's trying to re-connect with his estranged twin brother, ready to intervene in case his feelings get hurt. The manager gets to be more of a character too, having cute running gags like when she doesn't recognize one of the rival idols when he's out working as a soba delivery guy.

I wish I had more time to rewatch the show before the end of the year so I could talk more about it, but I'll leave off with these two clips I made while I was watching the show. If you enjoy them, I really do recommend you try watching the whole show.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/972585437402296320/pu/vid/640x360/Vq0inZOOwk92o-Qf.mp4

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/980193479065198592/pu/vid/640x360/Eo4ZMsS6KF60i6Dc.mp4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm putting poo poo on here

1. Emiya Gohan: This one's pretty easy. Fate as a whole is a big favorite franchise of mine and the gag series stuff like Carnival Phantasm and Hollow Ataraxia is always fun to watch. Emiya Gohan has some of the gaggy nature of those things, but it combines with a sense of heartwarming homeliness to it and watching the characters just enjoy their day to day lives and eat good food that I adored.
2. Revue Starlight: Princess Tutu is one of my favorite anime ever. I got a lot of the feeling watching Revue Starlight that I did from Princess Tutu when I was a kid and it was a really nice experience. The characters are all pretty fun, but outside of that the show has a lot of meta narrative on storytelling and how the people working in theater view the people they become friends with and how ruthless it can be making it to the top and the things you'll have to sacrifice. It also gave me a talking giraffe voiced by Seto Kaiba, that was cool. The show as a whole was a pretty fantastic watch and it managed to have one of the best episodes have incredibly minimal animation and tell an excellent story. Nana Daiba is about also one of my favorite characters in anything now.
3. Pop Team Epic: This is a show for no one and everyone as Bkub Okawa's sense of humor is very much made only for them and you either get into that or don't. Having read the manga I thought it was gonna be a simple adaptation, but it went above and beyond to not only meet the wacky nature of Okawa's gag manga, but even transcend it. Some of the gags are made so much more ridiculous, especially the Hellshake Yano skit being not only funny, but a really amazing artistic feat to watch. The dub is also really fuckin good and the english vas take as much liberty with scenes as the JP VAs do to the point that some skits might be better than the JP vas take on it.
4. Aggretsuko: I initially turned this on for background noise while gaming, but as I kept trying to do stuff I realized that I was entirely engrossed in watching the anime about the angry red panda singing metal and working the hard japanese workforce life. Aggretsuko is full of a lot of really fun and quirky characters in a somewhat office sitcom, but mostly personal story about the main character's struggles in the working world and how she vents it out by going to a karaoke bar and belting out death metal. The christmas special is also fun and is worth watching.
5. Zombieland Saga: This show is stupid, I love it. From the wacky rear end characters, to the absurd premise, to Mamoru Miyano being made into an entire character on his own, it's awesome. The jokes are incredibly simple, but effective to the sheer number of great performances from the cast in the show. The amount of dumb characters that show up to be recurring gags is wonderful, I especially enjoy the Policeman who has the most nasal voice imaginable. Then there is the main group of girls and how stupidly ragtag it is down to having an actual zombie brained zombie as one of the performers. This show was a wonderful surprise.

Honorable mentions

Dragon Ball Super: Broly: I have not seen this film yet, but the trailers alone made me want to put it on here and THIS
Persona 5 the Animation: I actually haven't watched this show, but the Kawakami scenes I've seen on youtube are good so I'll put it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x0fpHjl1G8
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind: I don't want to put it in my top 5 because it's not done yet, but the show is so much fun to watch and it feels like a massive improvement from the Part 4 adaptation in so many places and the voice cast is so loving good. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it going into 2019.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 31, 2018

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

1. Devilman Crybaby
Devilman is just a story that really stayed with me. Partly because of its shock value, but also because of the story it told. Crybaby is that with beautiful animation, a fantastic ost, and a few modernizations. It also stands up all on its own whether you've read the manga or not.

2. Aggretsuko
I had no idea what I'd be getting into with this one, and it turned out to be one of the most relatable anime of the year. It's cute, it's depressing, it's funny and it's not a huge time investment.

3. Pop Team Epic
The cultural barrier can sometimes make humor hard to translate. Pop Team Epic doesn't have to worry about that because it's absurd no matter where you come from. Every episode is a spectacle and it always manages to surprise.

4. Made In Abyss
This is one of the coolest, most well-thought-out worlds I've seen. The stakes feel real, there's a good dynamic between the protagonists, and there are some legitimately hard to watch moments. Unfortunately, the series has some well-documented problems and I personally don't blame anyone who doesn't want to put up with those issues.

J̶̧̭̲̻̗̘o̷̡҉̢̥̝̬͉͕͓̜̀j̴͈̼͉͙͎͕͘͘͠ͅo̙͔̮̖̮̺͖̥̝̥̹͎̳͇̤͘͡ͅ'̨̡̨͉̬͕̣̪́͟ş̢̙͖̯̖̲̩̱̯͕̹͈͙͕̯̯̹͉̩̬̕͜ ̧҉̷̛͙̫̺̭̱̪̗̖̜̹̜͙B̫̖͍̦͓̠͕̰̳̟̞̜̬̣̹̬́͞i̴͓̣͎͙̟̩̞̺̙̜̮̠͝ͅź̷̨̲̠̟̱̖͠͞a̧̞̤̞̰̲̪̣̪̮̦͞ͅŗ̴̷̻͔͇̝̬̭̳̠͔͘͠r̷̢̨̛̖͔͔͙̠͖̖͍̳̗̣͉̥͢ę̴͙͕̣͔͉̪̦̟̜̖̻͎̙̱̳͎̹̭͍ ͏̨̘̫̬͈̩̲͖̘͇̺̱̺̤͢͡͠A̴̧̡̛̯̞̗͙̘̱̜̲̞̦̲̠̟̩̮̪͍ͅd́͝҉̡̜̖̻̲͈v̛̛̺̲͓̖̝̣͚̼̪͙̹̜̀͘ȩ̵̪̤̣̹̹̞͈̺̬̣͚͔̣̤́ņ̵̵̡͔̺͓̖̼͉̥͕͓̮̞̗͘t̴̮̲͎̝͙̫̜̤̞̺̻͖͜u͠͠҉̶̜̩̫͇̖̤̪̻̲r̷̯̼̩͔͙̫̥̣̤͇̘̤̹̗̀͟͡e̵̶̢̧̙̜̥͇̘͝:̸̢̢̡̮̫̲͚͔̭̭̯̲̮̣ ̷̢̨̲͇̳͇̼͓͍͙͖̠̙̜̱̦̲̟͓̬͘̕V̵̨̮͇̖̙̥̩͚͍̣̯͕̙͈̦̭͞ę̝͇̦͇̥̲͙́͘ͅń̬͈̭̟̙̫̫̞̳͟t̴̵̙̥̠ǫ͈̮͖͚͖̹̙͈̜̝͝ͅ ̠̯̖̜̹͞A̷̢̧̺̻͖̯̗̺̞̗̹͕͓̗̤̳͙̜ų̴̬̙̲̩̭̫͘͢͞ͅr̠͕̪̣̗̺̳͔̙̥͓̥̬̟̕e̡͉͈̘͙̬̞̲̼̪͍̩͖͈͘o̶̖̮͕͖̤̤͔̪̜̘̹͘

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Another well-documented problem with MiA for the purposes of this list is that it’s from 2017 :smugdog:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i liked almost everything i watched this year, powerful year

5) Asobi Asobase this has lots of gross weird humor taht makes it hard for me to actually reccomend but gosh this was funny. Everyone in the show is an rear end in a top hat that deserves every bad thing that happens to them which is exactly what I like in comedy series. If you can handle someone drinking suspicious water to find out if it's pee while the ghost of Conan looks on you'll like this.

4) Revue Starlight was just really solid in general. I'm struggling to think of unique things about it because I'm guessing most people have covered it. I just think it did a lot of cool meta stuff in the back half of the series and all the auditions are a joy to watch and listen to.

3) Hanebado! had some dumb rear end family stuff for the sake of shounen backstory but I'm a sucker for sports so I don't think I minded as much as some people. Badminton isn't a sport I'd ever think I'd have fun watching, but the show makes good use of some extended rallies to get you charged up. There's no superpowers on display or anything which keeps the matches grounded and the show manages to give the major characters their own play styles which is pretty cool. I understand that the source material wasn't as serious starting out, but the studio (LIDENFILMS) did a good job at keeping their changes to the tone feel natural. Last thought is that it definitely feels like Ayano's friends are too passive about saying "hey what the gently caress" when she's transforming into a pretty big rear end in a top hat.

2) SSSS.Gridman I feel kind of weird talking about gridman since it ended a week ago but uh, non spoiler things I guess I can say is that the show's really good about switching between stupid sight gags and heavy drama without taking me out of it. Akane had a lot of moments that were really relatable to me, which I think is always impressive when a show pulls that off. There's a scene where she's trying to talk to catch up with a friend but keeps getting interrupted by randos they're hanging out with and Akane is just loving steaming and trying to keep her polite mask on and I love it. Finding out what Akane's deal is was a big part of the show for me and it ended up feeling really personal which I wasn't expecting coming in since all I knew was that it was an homage to a super old toku show. Really glad I watched it though there's some good poo poo in here.

1) Working Buddies! is a series of shorts about two cats working part time jobs that are all in service to setting up dumb animal jokes for the coworkers that they have. There's a whole ep where the joke is that they're talking about making coffee with a civet, and I don't think the show ever reveals that civets poo poo out high quality coffee beans? It's just a joke that's There. I really don't know what the target audience was supposed to be but I'm loving glad this show got made. I really liked these cats being friends and just talking to weird sweet animals. AOTY secret: this is actually the lowest rated show on my list :v: I don't think it's objectively perfect or anything, I just kinda love it
other note: Good Smile was a producer on this and then never loving released any figs for it

Honorable Mention: Planet With was kinda weird because I didn't like the robot battle CG for the most part but the characters were all cool and I'd gladly take another season of them just going about their lives and talking. Where's the SOL spinoff, is what I'm asking

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im new and didnt start watching anime until like halfway into the year so I probably cant come up with 5, especially since some of the stuff I watched was mediocre to bad.

Aggretsuko - This is 100% my poo poo. Maybe its because I can relate to the often toxic office work environment, but a lot of the shows humor really hit home. Plus its wrapped up in a cute package and set to death metal. :rock:

MHA - Many thanks to the people of the recommendations thread for steering me towards this one as I really liked this show and binged the first 2 seasons over a long weekend then kept up weekly with the groups antics. S3 had some dry spots but ended up with one of my favourite fights of the show so far. Plus I love how they manage such a massive cast without really cutting corners even this far in, everyone feels important.

Zombie Land Saga - Had no intention of ever watching an idol show but Wark sold me on it pretty hard. Its amazing that they never really overused the fact theyre zombies, so that ended up making the emotional parts of the show really good while also letting them go a little further with the jokes and gags. The characters themselves were so much fun to follow every week and the VAs seemed like they were having just as much fun making this show as I was having watching it. My only gripe is that the show started with its 2 strongest episodes then never really attempted to go back to it at any point.

Some shows I thought were fine but not really something Ill go back to any time soon were Devilman Crybaby, SSSS.Gridman, and Megalo Box. Im just starting Asobi Asobase and Pop Team Epic so I might add them if they live up to the hype and I finish them in time!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
As usual I fail to complete even 5 series but maybe my taste is just that good.

1. Devilman crybaby - I'm glad I never heard of any of its older works before watching this. I love being emotionally torn apart.

2. Aggretsuko - The Office (JPN)

3. Pop Team Epic - I've always loved this kind of humor.

Wish I could vote JoJo but I guess I can't for 2018. Also I only knew of Zombieland Saga's existence thanks to JoJo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ibDqbfPdY

I agree with everything you have to say barring things I never watched but I do read Food Wars and Dragon Ball Super even if I'm told DBS' anime and manga go separate directions. Food Wars really is garbage but I like cooking and it's an easy read and fun to see how dumb they try to top themselves every time (manga spoilers: cooking with a chainsaw by some SS Nazi uniform BDSM lady). My Hero Academia is something I've always meant to watch or read but I feel like it's daunting because I've put it off for so long that it seems impossible to catch up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's only like 50-60 episodes of the my hero academia anime out right now, it's shorter than watching part 3 and part 4 of jojo's

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Good year for anime! A ton of stuff I haven't had the chance to watch and would probably love.

1. Place Further Than the Universe: The first and best anime of the year.
2. Planet With: Really good, all five or so seasons of it!
3. Laid-back Camp: Comfy
4. Cells At Work: Goofy
5. To Be Heroine: The best anime about underwear logistics and corruption in the Chinese soft drinks regulatory system

I'd have voted for Gegege no Kitaro but it hasn't ended yet I guess.....

Movies:
1. Mirai
2. Penguin Highway
3. Maquia

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 31, 2018

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
This seemed like a decent year for anime in my opinion. Last year I had trouble actually coming up with a list of stuff that impressed me at all (since I missed Land of the Lustrous until it was pointed out to me by last years thread), but this year I actually have issues selecting a top 5.
I'm just gonna do this in alphabetic order since all the votes seem to count the same.

Devilman Crybaby

The soundtrack and artstyle of this show brought me around to including it in my mentions. I also admire the ability of its creators to adapt and adjust an old manga into a more modern framework. Some of its points miss the mark a bit and some of this stuff is hilariously edgy and just made me laugh, but that's still joy in my book. The actually effective nasty stuff served its point in the narrative well enough and I liked what it did. Good show.
I do still go back and listen to its soundtrack all the time.

Hinamatsuri

A good adaptation of a great source material. Consistently funny, wacky, heartfelt and my personal anime of the year.
Rather than just focusing on the titular protagonist and her daily life, they know to develop an ever increasing cast of equally ridiculous side characters that serve well to set up more and more jokes that all just work so well because (almost) everyone is a jerk.
It's only crime is only having so many episodes and having to omit some of the material, but hey, that hopefully leaves more for a season 2.
If there's any justice in this world, there should be a season 2, please, oh god.

Planet With

A good and fun mecha series that knows how to not waste the time of the audience and gets straight to the point several times over. Sometimes it feels a bit bad to skip to the important bits, but it's just set up so well in this series that I can't really begrudge it for being expedient. Had some of my favourite anime moments of this year in it.
It also does historically important work focusing on the age old conflict of dogs versus cats.

Yuru Camp

I haven't gone camping in years.
And yet this show is still a good time. Nothing of great significance happens. It's chill, it's fun and you can't really go wrong watching this. Good food, good tents, good times hanging out. It's all just so wholesome.
The food was good too and perfectly compliant with the nature of camping, where it is defined by the (exceedingly expensive) tools you got on hand.

Zombieland Saga

Probably one of the bigger surprises of the year for many people. A bait and switch idol series that faked people out with a false description and seemed like it could turn into an interesting and funny satire of idol shows, but instead just switched into a regular idol show that appealed to people who don't usually start watching idol shows. Or elaborate advertisements for that matter.
It didn't manage to keep the energy and fun of the first two episodes, but kept people hooked through character focus episodes and zombie shenanigans.

They just didn't cut it, but got close:

After The Rain
--I'm such a sucker for nostalgic meandering and I appreciated the shows style and focus in regards to its characters, but I have to admit that the premise of this show just sounds lovely when laid out on paper.

Fullmetal Panic: Invisible Victory
--I forgot I liked this series. It floundered around a bit, but I liked how it wrapped up and made me remember what was fun about this to begin with.

The Girl in Twilight
--I didn't want to include too many fall season shows because it makes me feel biased since I've only just watched them. And someone had to take the hit.

I got too distracted by that thread that made me rewatch slayers, but the stuff I've seen of Gridman looked really good, I just haven't gotten around to finish it and can't really include it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's time for Me!

#5 - Devilman Crybaby

I understand a lot of the critique about this show, but as a total Devilman Newcomer, this was super, super fun, even when it wasn't. It's something even a year later, I'm still thinking about and chewing on, listening to the soundtrack and joke about with my friends. I'm really glad it got made, and double so that Yusasa got to do it. This is a great, messy, gay ride.

#4 - SSSS.Gridman

I can't believe Trigger finally made a show that's good that I like. It's shockingly simple while being rife with references and allusions that while going over my head, were still worked for me and made the production feel bigger than maybe it actually was. I went in with absolutely zero expectations, bordering on negative considering I really have not super enjoyed a Trigger show....ever, but it was just a real good time. People seem to have problems with the ending, biut I thought it was refreshingly simple and honest, and like, Diet Lynchian in a weird way.

#3 - A Place Further Than The Universe

People have yelling at me to watch this show for like, almost all calendar year and holy lord, it's good! It's so genuinely funny and all the characters are perfect, beautiful stars. It was a wonderful bite-sized drama that honestly had me sobbing at times. It's a moving story of loss, and emptiness, and then finding out what to fill that void with, I'd honestly recommend it to anyone, it's just a good time.

#2 - Pop Team Epic

On the other hand, I cannot recommend this show, because it's super stupid, but I love it. I think it's great art. The humor for Pop Team Epic is so loving hit or miss, but if it hits, it knocks out of the park. It's also a great mixed media avant-garde piece, with so many of the sketches being either being in a radically different animation style, or being done in wonderful sketch book action theater, or done in live action, or done with little felt dolls in music videos, it's great! It's not a """shitpost""" in an anime, it's just a bunch of weird cool people adapting a weird dude's comic and it's so so fun. I'd honestly say it's worth watching just to see some really good creatives, Create. If you can stop thinking about Hellshake Yano, then I don't wanna fuckin lnow you

:siren:#1 - March Comes In Like A Lion : Season 2:siren:

This show is perfect. It's just the best. The first season was my favorite anime of 2017 and I knew Season 2 would be my favorite this year. And I was absolutely right. March Comes In Like A Lion is a show about "broken people trying to regain something". This show isn't interested in winners or loser, it's interested in people who struggle, people who gently caress up, people who suffer, people who manage to eke out some victory in this unknowable existence. Everyone in this show is trying their best to find their own peace, to win their own battles in whatever way they can. They may not all be good people, but they are complex and interesting, and you root for drat near all of them, and sometimes they are the best people and you love them and want to give them the entire world.

Like A Place Further Than The Universe, this is a show I'd recommend to anyone. More than that, I think everyone should watch it. It's made me laugh, it's made me cry, it's made me shout, it's made me deeply anxious. Chica Umino and Shaft have created what I think is a wonderful tapestry, showing almost countless aspects of human existence, and I want to share that with everyone I know. I like this show a lot, and I think it's something worth caring about it, and I hope and want you care about it too.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Best 5 no particular order:

Hakumei & Mikochi - Just a good show about exploring a cool fantasy world. Imaginative and endearing, the kind of show that makes you sad to watch the final episode.

March Comes In Like a Lion 2nd Season - Not just one of the best of this season but probably one of the best shows ever. And this is probably the best season. Strong character arcs even from minor characters. Strong emotional beats that work because the show takes the time to let you really know the characters and really feel it when things both good and bad happen to them. No real weaknesses. Anyone who hasn't watched this is missing out on some of the best anime has to offer.

SSSS.Gridman - I'm a bit afraid that recency bias might be affecting some of my choices. This past season was one of the strongest in a long time. But of all the shows from this season I think might belong on this list this is the one I'm most confident I'll feel should still be here six months or a year from now. Great thought-provoking story that keeps you guessing but doesn't drop the ball at the last minute. An interesting antagonist. A likable cast of characters. And it manages to make a lot of fun easter-egg style references that are cool if you get them but don't distract if you don't.

Pop Team Epic - I love absurdist humor and this is a great example of the form. Not every segment lands but there's enough that do to put this solidly in the best shows of the type. For me this edges out the other big absurdist show of the year, Asobi Asobase, by virtue of being a lot more daring and experimental. It's willing to take risks on absolute crazyness and I feel it pays off.

A Place Further Than The Universe - Obviously a popular choice. I don't think there's much I could say that hasn't already been said a million times in this thread already so I'll just quietly put my vote in with everyone else.

Honorable mentions:

Asobi Asobase - Like I say above, Pop Team Epic is better in my mind. But it's still a great and original comedy.

Bloom Into You - Nice romance with a reasonable and believable complexity and texture without falling into the melodramatic traps so many similar shows tend to.

Cells at Work! - Weird and original. Just a tad too uneven to warrant a top 5, though.

Double Decker! Doug & Kirill - I think it lulled a lot of people into thinking it was a lot more serious than it was before hitting them with an end that requires fully embracing the show's silliness to fully appreciate and because of that left people with a negative impression. If you're willing to accept it for what it is than you might see that what it is is pretty great.

High Score Girl - Pretty good show spanning a character's entire childhood from elementary to high school. A lot of heart and an interesting look into 90's Japanese arcade culture. Might have been a stronger candidate if the last three episodes were out and the story was complete.

Hinamatsuri - Great single dad story with a lot of great and likable characters.

Iroduku: The World in Colors - Pretty much peak PA Works. Good and extremely solid in pretty much all areas throughout and probably the prettiest show of the season. I really liked the imagination of the magic in a modern world setting. Not for everyone but amazing if it's your thing.

Planet With - Great but felt a bit rushed in its pacing. If the story had a bit more room to breathe it might have made the top 5.

The Girl in Twilight / Akanesasu Shoujo - Weird and interesting with a reasonably well-stuck ending. Managed to have a good mix of serious and silly.

Umamusume: Pretty Derby - Kinda surprised this hasn't shown up more in the thread. I guess it ultimately didn't have much impact on people. A great sports anime with a large cast of colorful, likable characters.

Yuru Camp - Probably my number six of the year. Didn't make it because the top 5 shows were all just a little more daring and original. This show never gets out of its comfort zone and since it's a show about being comfy that's fine. But I have to reward the shows that are trying to push out more into unexplored territory.

Zombieland Saga - I think this show is the prime canditate for people to look back on in a few months and maybe reconsider if it was really a top 5 show. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very good show for a lot of reasons. I just feel there are better and recency bias might be pushing this up a bit.

Not candidates for best of the year but still worth checking out:

Skull-faced Bookseller Honda
Violet Evergarden
We Rent Tsukumogami
Merc Storia: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle
Mitsuboshi Colors
Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles
Ms. Vampire Who Lives in my Neighborhood
Kokkoku
Love is Hard for Otaku
Hoozuki's Coolheadedness 2nd Season
How to Keep a Mummy
Gakuen Babysitters

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

2018 sure has been a wild year for me. Busiest year of my life, easily! And even now on this last day of 2018 I'm thinking: man, I'd love it if I could enter the new year kicking back and watching a bunch of anime instead of juggling too many personal and professional obligations that are haunting me even on this new year's eve. Anyhow even besides that, with my goal of watching 52 anime movies this year that made it tough to keep up on everything I would have liked, but fortunately I found an amazing loophole. Turns out that they still make anime movies. Crazy huh. And sometimes they even make good ones. That was able to lighten the load enough for me to fill out a list I'm satisfied with, which was fortunate because without that I'd have few shows that weren't good enough to be on the good list nor bad enough to be on the bad list. But I'm rambling at this point, here's my list, which will also contain rambling 'cause I've had a long day and my brain is mush now.

1) Devilman Crybaby - Heck, what can I say that hasn't already been said in the 11 months since it came out. I guess I've never heard much mention about how it's the rare time that Netflix's philosophy wrt cliffhangers for binge-watching actually made sense? There's this constant sense of dread that pushed me to watch as much as I could as fast as I could and unlike all of those other Netflix shows with cliffhangers, the fact that there was a definite ending lying at the end made it the first time that philosophy worked for me.

I love Devilman. I love Yuasa. The day that one of his works *isn't* one of my favorite anime of any given year is the day that I'll become a devilman irl and fly away from anime forever until his next anime.

2) Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms - There's a heck of a lot of stuff about fantasy that I'm not big on and hey Mari Okada managed to make something lacking a lot of those elements in her directorial debut. And it's a great entry in the single mom anime genre to boot, spinning a strong coming of age story for both the mother and the child. Earlier this year I read Okada's autobiography and in it she mentions that she writes a lot of her teenage characters in a way similar to how she acted as a teen. Her autobiography didn't go into too much detail about her personal life once her career was firmly established, but I'd like to believe that this is a grownup version of how she'd write similar characters. As an aside, I highly recommend her autobiography, legally available in English and short enough that you can finish it in an afternoon. Much of it would still be an interesting read even if she didn't enter the anime industry. After all, she describes how she'd test her boyfriends by leaving her bathroom door open while taking a dump. That's one of the highest level power moves imaginable. Anyways, this was hands down my favorite movie of the year and here's hoping that she gets to direct more. And hey if that does happen maybe they could screen them somewhere close to me this time? I swear, despite living near a large city the only anime movies that get showings around here are franchise films with the occasional average quality original movie thrown in. Never anything I desperately want to see on the big screen.

3) Gurazeni - It's like a salaryman manga, but with baseball instead of filing reports! Is what I'd say if you, the reader, are a dork that hates sports anime. For everyone else, hey it's the rare look into professional sports life and that's something that's hard to find. Very few sports anime focus on that and the ones that do primarily focus on playing the sport instead of the way the athletes live their lives on and off the field. And it does a fine enough job with that lifestyle that the novelty doesn't outstay its welcome. Bonda's just a very affable guy, perfect for shining a light on all sorts of colorful characters in the 'biz.

4) I Want To Eat Your Pancreas - When hitting up movies from this year I had some pretty low expectations for this one. And heck why wouldn't I, it's based on a web novel and my primary concern would be that it would try to be too emotionally manipulative. Fortunately that wasn't the case! I'd liken it to the sort of YA book/movie wherein one of the two leads is dealing with an incurable, fatal illness and they both learn to make the most of their lives. Is what I assume happens in those sorts of things, I'm not much for YA stuff! But hey it happens here and unlike most of the time I've seen such things in anime they aren't hopelessly melodramatic over the illness. What can I say, I found that to be a refreshing surprise even though it's usually not the sort of story I go for.

5) Major 2nd - It's Major, but happening for the 2nd time. The original Major rules so this was definitely one of the shows I was looking forward to this year. Like the original Major, its first season is a pleasant enough watch. Major 2nd is going the Boruto route not just in its lead being the son of the protagonist from the first series, but also in that there's less of an emphasis on every single blow-by-blow of the action. The early seasons of the original Major were, for lack of a better phrase, shounen-y as all hell in how its baseball games were written. Major 2nd doesn't completely abandon that element but does give some more room for its cast to grow. Not everything works as well as I'd like, but I'm very much looking forward to subsequent seasons. The magic of the original Major was in following the protagonist's life from the little leagues, well, the major leagues. And the structure of the series would change as its lead aged. I'm excited to see how that works out a second time around, particularly given that 2nd's lead is a fairly different character from his father. Also I'm real curious if anyone else watched beyond the first few episodes since hey this wacky streaming world means that we get the sequel to a six season anime in a legal form while we don't know if the original will ever get to see the light of day.

I wish I could have fit Tonegawa into my schedule since I'm confident I would have enjoyed it enough to make it on my list but sacrifices had to be made somewhere and hey maybe I'll find it to be 2019's best anime of 2018.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

no particular order:

thunderbolt fantasy sword seekers 2: I gave the first season a try in spite of initially feeling iffy about the puppets, but I'm glad I stuck through because it's a fun show
ssss.gridman: I went into expecting nothing more than a cool robot punching giant monsters but gridman was so much more than that. it's also the first trigger show that I can honestly say that I liked
megalobox: I kinda dropped off in the middle for a while after getting spoiled on the ending (look I've never seen ashita no joe ok), but I loved the style and the story
planet with: this show loving moves, man. they don't waste a second and I loved every bit of it
run with the wind: I didn't see it on the list but it's a really nice sports anime. the characters are fun and I enjoyed watching them grow as people and as runners

special mention goes to devilman. this one's hard because I'm still not sure how I feel about it at the end, even all these months later. but it's definitely the anime that stuck with me the most this year

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Honorable Mentions
Violet Evergarden - Absolutely insane production values. While most of the writing felt overly-schmaltzy to me, episodes 7 and 10 were by-and-large fantastic, with eps. 5 and 9 being pretty good too. I can totally understand why this might be someone's Anime of the Year.
Megalobox - Fantastic aesthetic that you don't see too often nowadays. If you're nostalgic for that Cowboy Bebop look, this is your go-to fix. I'll give points for this show eschewing boxing anime cliches, even if personally I would've enjoyed it better if it'd played its hand straight.
My Hero Academia S3 - Shonen anime isn't really my thing, but the first arc was genuinely compelling, with All Might vs All For One serving as the highlight.
Zombieland Saga - A hilarious premise with some even-more-hilarious episodes. I didn't really care for the Idol half of this Idol-Zombie anime, but YMMV.
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K S2 - While it got off to a rough start, I warmed up to the new characters and found them pretty entertaining. Aiura in particular offered a pretty good counterbalance to Saiki himself.
Laid-Back Camp - I'm not one for slice-of-life anime, but the soundtrack for Yuru Camp was amazing. Rin herself was a nice change-of-pace from the usual kinds of characters who populate these shows.
Attack on Titan S3 - This season managed to create a pretty great arc out of some fairly flawed source material. While there were some questionable scene alterations, the directing managed to turn one of the slowest arcs in Attack on Titan into one of the most explosive. Really looking forward to the next arc coming out in several months.
Chio's School Road - I'll probably be the only one to have this one anywhere near a top-anime-of-the-year list, given how trashy some episodes are (one was literally directed by a Hentai artist), but the relationship between Chio and Manana was one of the most entertaining and down-to-Earth depictions of friendship between two teenage girls I've seen. For everyone who's tired of sickeningly saccharine anime girl friendships, watching these two girls act like uncouth pieces of poo poo is entertaining as heck. It's everything I had hoped Asobi Asobase would've been.

#5 - Gun Gale Online
I genuinely felt like I was watching an entertaining streamer play a game of PUBG. While I wouldn't recommend involving crazy-people-from-the-internet (complete with crazy-people-from-the-internet drama) into your real life social circle (like the characters here do), said drama remained entertaining to the very end. A much better show than its spinoff counterpart.

#4 - Rascal Doesn't Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
This anime was a solid drama throughout, with the first and the last arcs being the strongest. I feel much of the appeal is that it does so much right where so many other anime went so wrong. "Oh, hey, so we'll have the main guy fall in love with a girl and then spend the rest of the season teasing will they / won't they romantic encounters?" No, they become a couple in the first few episodes. "Oh, hey, we should have a bunch of other girls also fall for the main guy, creating enough love triangles and awkward drama to milk this thing until $$$ runs dry?" No, the MC politely but firmly rebuffs the one other girl who tries to get with him; and the rest of the girls don't even factor into his love-life. "Oh, hey, how about we include a little sister character who totally wants her big brother?" No, she's clearly struggling with mental problems, and the MC supports her without going down that god-awful route. The list just goes on. While the middle few arcs didn't have quite the emotional gut punches that the stronger arcs did, they were still good.

#3 - March Comes In Like A Lion S2
While I thought the first season was reasonably good, Hinata's bullying arc had me empathizing with the characters like none other. While most of those episodes aired last year, the arc wrapped up early this year so I'll count it here. When the characters felt mad, they felt MAD, and so did I. Beyond that, while the stakes behind the shogi matches felt consistent with the first season, the fewer number of slice-of-life segments made viewing this season more engaging.

#2 - A Place Further Than The Universe
This anime had some of the best chemistry between its cast that I've seen, and from the first episode these adorable dorks fully sold me on the necessity of their journey. Despite not being a comedy, it had me laughing more than most actual anime comedies. Shirase's thirst for (metaphorical) vengeance against the detractors of both her and her comrades was refreshing to see in a medium where forgiveness is prized to a fault, and episode 12 had me in tears. Just a really great show.

#1 - SSSS.Gridman
I don't like tokusatsu shows, I don't like most of Studio Trigger's anime (including their flagship KLK), and I don't like shows with fanservice, so at the beginning of the season I had zero hopes for this show. Boy was I wrong. While I'm still not a fan of tokusatsu-style action, the unconventional take on the villain's conflict with the rest of the cast was immensely interesting, with episode 9 probably being the single best anime episode that aired this year. The energy and enthusiasm the show's creators had for the genre's roots infectiously radiated throughout, and even though the show left a fair amount unanswered the characters were fleshed out so well that it's easy to fill in the blanks. The thought of Gridman's entire operation originating from the microscopically heroic goal of saving a single soul had me tearing up. Congrats Trigger, you've finally won me over.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 1, 2019

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
1. A Place Further Than the Universe. These girls, they're all right. I'm sure everything that needs to be said about this has been said already. I never thought I'd be so emotionally invested in a bunch of girls suffering from seasickness, but I guess that's good writing for you.

2. Hinamatsuri. Come for the comedy, stay for the... comedy, but also the surprisingly effective drama. I've gotten upset about comedies becoming more dramatic before, but I think the things I actually don't like are doing drama less effectively than the comedy or eschewing the comedy, but this keeps them both and does them both very well. The comedy parts were the best I saw this year.

3. Hakumei & Mikochi. I just loved sitting back and watching tiny little life in the woods. There's some unusual artistic choices like the panel-style cut-ins that were kind of interesting too, even if I probably wouldn't want to see them in every show. Also had a really wonderful ED, probably my favorite of the year.

4. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. A nice guy helps people with their problems, which are more serious than usual due to magic (sorry, quantum mechanics) but still grounded in relatable issues. Mei and Sakuta are the best couple.

5. Today's Menu for the Emiya Family. Combined my four great loves of Fate, anime about food, short episodes, and weird release schedules. That's not even entirely a joke, I really think releasing one short episode a month made this a lot more enjoyable than just going through one a week would have been. It also let them do seasonal stuff that coincided with when the episodes aired. Also it's just a lot of fun seeing the Fate dorks goofing around and not trying to kill each other, except perhaps with volleyball spikes.

Honorable mentions:

- Golden Kamuy. As far as I can tell I should just be reading the manga and the adaptation's actually pretty bad, but it's still a great story. The end of the second season was amazing.
- Planet With. It's a good story on its own, and the way it's so densely packed is really impressive.
- Revue Starlight. This never quite came together for me, but I think all of the auditions were wonderful. The one in episode 3 might be my favorite scene of the year.
- Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online. A video game show that seems to understand why real people actually like video games, where the main character gets really mad about people taking them too seriously. Lots of fun action and comedy, and LLENN's final kill was one of my favorite scenes as well.
- Yuru Camp. Probably my number 6. Super relaxing with wonderful art and music.
- Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms. It's a movie so apparently not eligible for voting, but this was definitely one of my top anime for the year as well.

Another great year for anime, but aren't they all? Let's hope 2019 is just as good.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
1. March Comes Like a Lion S2 - One of my favorite manga translates well to one of my favorite anime. I cannot wait when they adapt the next portion.

2. A Place Further Than the Universe - Great show, great character, great music.

3. Laid-Back Camp - Got me more interested in camping.

4. Hinamatsuri - Love all these crazy characters and it was very funny like the manga

5. SSSS.Gridman - A really good mecha anime with a decent cast of characters.

Honorable Mentions

6. Devilman Crybaby - I like Masaaki Yuasa's work is this is no different.

7. Attack on Titan Season 3 - This is probably one of the worst part of the series, but now that

8. Planet With

9. Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory - Glad that we got a continuation of the story. Animation was a mess at times.

10. Today's Menu with Emiya - Really good art and enjoyed the slow nature of just cooking food.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I'll keep it short.

5. Nobunaga no Shinobi S3: This short has been chugging along for a while now, and it's still a just a really nice bitesized comedy. There are shows that were better that could have gone here, but I just wanted to give it a shoutout.

4. Hanebado: It starts as a pretty generic sports show but it really leans into it. I was pleasantly surprised that Ayano got to still be a bit mean at the end, even if she isn't a full out jerk anymore

3. Yurucamp: comfy.

2. A Place further than the Universe: A great drama that made me laugh and cry. I really appreciated that it didn't go for the cheap drama shot that a lesser show would have.

1. March lion season 2: What an incredible adaptation of an already incredible manga.

Honorable mentions

mha season 3: Everyone loves the punch, but the second half does feel a bit stretched out.
bandori garupa pico: I enjoyed this a lot as a fan of bandori, but I do wonder what people not in the fandom thought of it.

shows i didn't finish but probably had a shot at my list

hinamatsuri: I fell off only cause I was too busy at the time and decided to drop it cause i already read the manga
zombieland saga
ssss.gridman

Argona fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 1, 2019

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Here's my :effort: list.

1. Yuru△Camp
2. Hakumei & Mikochi
3. Violet Evergarden
4. March Lion S2
5. Today's Menu For The Emiya Family

I liked 'em pretty and peaceful this year, apparently.

Honorable mentions:

Hanebado
Planet With
Zombieland Saga
FMP IV
GGO

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Top 5, in order from best to least best:

1. A Place Further Than The Universe - This was a good year, but this show was handily the best for me. It's one of those rare complete production, the music and animation are flawless, the characters well-rounded and lovable, the story hits all of the right notes and has the integrity to end. I never cry over TV shows and this one got me at least 3 times. This is anime at its best.
2. SSSS.Gridman - a show I wrote off, especially after how disappointing Darling in the Franxx was, turned out to be really quite good. This is the kind of poo poo I wanted to see from Trigger, and definitely more like what I want to see from them going forward. This one managed to be way more interesting than it had any right to be and while I worry that recency bias might be at work here, I think it's my second favorite of the year.
3. Planet With - a story from my favorite mangaka of all time? Sold. Could have been something incredible with a bit more production effort/funding, managed to remain compelling in spite of its weaknesses, thanks in no small part to said mangaka, Satoshi Mizukami. His style of character writing is so refreshing, honestly.
4. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - Here's my guilty pleasure of the year. It's basically just the same broad concept as the -Monogatari series - girls in supernatural trouble stemming from some personal issue - but more grounded and with more restrained pandering. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's another solid overall production and compelling within its own right.
5. My Hero Academia 3rd Season - MHA taught me to love anime again, honestly. Season 1 came to me at a time when I hadn't watched any new anime in about two years, and its only been better since. This is the shounen anime adaptation I've always wanted. One with the integrity to take breaks between seasons, to avoid filler nonsense, and with just consistent-to-amazing production chops. Season 3 has moments that will, again, stick with me for the rest of my life. I love this anime and its manga.

Other Mentions:
Devilman Crybaby - Incredibly good, extremely art house, but it never really clicked with me and I'll probably never watch it again? (That's saying something good about it tbh).
Today's Menu For The Emiya Family - Just the absolute comfiest show. Also has shockingly good production values. Cutest Saber of all time.
Revue Starlight - for whatever reason I was so on board with this show and then it just... fizzled out in my mind. I think I got through episode 6 and I will endeavor to finish this, but it can't just be me that found it hard to stay interested.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 1, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Votes up to here have been recorded, though not counted or arranged in any way so I don't have any fun running commentary for you all. Addressing some ineligible or unclear votes:

Manatee Cannon posted:

run with the wind: I didn't see it on the list but it's a really nice sports anime. the characters are fun and I enjoyed watching them grow as people and as runners

Run is a two-cour show that took an extended break due to holidays, so it isn't actually over. Just make another post with your fifth vote, if you'd like.

Butt Ghost posted:

4. Made In Abyss

Made in Abyss was in the 2017 voting. Just make another post with your fourth (and fifth?) vote, if you'd like.

Pootybutt posted:

Dragon Pilot
High Score Girl
Pop Team Epic
Aggrestsuko
Devilman Crybaby

etc.

As a heads up, I'm counting the first five you listed as your actual votes. Just make another post with a specific five you want to vote for, if you'd like.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

5) Tie: Aikatsu Friends/Hugtto Precure - Really good versions of my favorite kids shows so they make they list

Both of these shows are currently airing and won't complete until later in 2019. Just make another post with your fifth vote, if you'd like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a lot of people seem really into bunny girl but i could never really get into it. the characters didn't really feel like they actually changed much? like that one girl had an entire arc about how being viewed as a sexual object was horrifying to her and then the two guys who knew this still went 'woah hot' when they saw her and it went completely uncommented on

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is it too late change my vote if I finished watching something today?

SSSS Gridman is good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Is it too late change my vote if I finished watching something today?

SSSS Gridman is good.

no, the laws of best anime are etched in stone

(you can just edit your post)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just make a new post stating any changes to your votes, so i don't have to dig back through the whole thread

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alright

Top 5 in no particular order

A Place Further Than The Universe I'm just echoing the praise for this show at this point. Solid characters, cool subject, great themes, good humor, an absolute complete package.

Gun Gale Online Solid characters with great action sequences. Just a real fun show.

Planet With Again solid characters and hands down my favorite mecha designs in any anime ever.

Gintama 2018 Wild ride that had me rolling especially the finale.

My Hero Academia S3 Never watched the first 2 seasons, watched this one cause I knew what was coming and it did not disappoint.

Switch out My Hero Academia S3 with SSSS Gridman. The villian is a good character despite their crimes and like everyone has been saying you don't need to be a fan of the originals to like this show. This plus a few other shows make it feel like great strides in CGI were made this year.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
akane shinjo did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

akane shinjo did nothing wrong

This but unironically