Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
1. A Place Further Than the Universe. These girls, they're all right. I'm sure everything that needs to be said about this has been said already. I never thought I'd be so emotionally invested in a bunch of girls suffering from seasickness, but I guess that's good writing for you.

2. Hinamatsuri. Come for the comedy, stay for the... comedy, but also the surprisingly effective drama. I've gotten upset about comedies becoming more dramatic before, but I think the things I actually don't like are doing drama less effectively than the comedy or eschewing the comedy, but this keeps them both and does them both very well. The comedy parts were the best I saw this year.

3. Hakumei & Mikochi. I just loved sitting back and watching tiny little life in the woods. There's some unusual artistic choices like the panel-style cut-ins that were kind of interesting too, even if I probably wouldn't want to see them in every show. Also had a really wonderful ED, probably my favorite of the year.

4. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. A nice guy helps people with their problems, which are more serious than usual due to magic (sorry, quantum mechanics) but still grounded in relatable issues. Mei and Sakuta are the best couple.

5. Today's Menu for the Emiya Family. Combined my four great loves of Fate, anime about food, short episodes, and weird release schedules. That's not even entirely a joke, I really think releasing one short episode a month made this a lot more enjoyable than just going through one a week would have been. It also let them do seasonal stuff that coincided with when the episodes aired. Also it's just a lot of fun seeing the Fate dorks goofing around and not trying to kill each other, except perhaps with volleyball spikes.

Honorable mentions:

- Golden Kamuy. As far as I can tell I should just be reading the manga and the adaptation's actually pretty bad, but it's still a great story. The end of the second season was amazing.
- Planet With. It's a good story on its own, and the way it's so densely packed is really impressive.
- Revue Starlight. This never quite came together for me, but I think all of the auditions were wonderful. The one in episode 3 might be my favorite scene of the year.
- Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online. A video game show that seems to understand why real people actually like video games, where the main character gets really mad about people taking them too seriously. Lots of fun action and comedy, and LLENN's final kill was one of my favorite scenes as well.
- Yuru Camp. Probably my number 6. Super relaxing with wonderful art and music.
- Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms. It's a movie so apparently not eligible for voting, but this was definitely one of my top anime for the year as well.

Another great year for anime, but aren't they all? Let's hope 2019 is just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU