Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Top 5, in order from best to least best:

1. A Place Further Than The Universe - This was a good year, but this show was handily the best for me. It's one of those rare complete production, the music and animation are flawless, the characters well-rounded and lovable, the story hits all of the right notes and has the integrity to end. I never cry over TV shows and this one got me at least 3 times. This is anime at its best.
2. SSSS.Gridman - a show I wrote off, especially after how disappointing Darling in the Franxx was, turned out to be really quite good. This is the kind of poo poo I wanted to see from Trigger, and definitely more like what I want to see from them going forward. This one managed to be way more interesting than it had any right to be and while I worry that recency bias might be at work here, I think it's my second favorite of the year.
3. Planet With - a story from my favorite mangaka of all time? Sold. Could have been something incredible with a bit more production effort/funding, managed to remain compelling in spite of its weaknesses, thanks in no small part to said mangaka, Satoshi Mizukami. His style of character writing is so refreshing, honestly.
4. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - Here's my guilty pleasure of the year. It's basically just the same broad concept as the -Monogatari series - girls in supernatural trouble stemming from some personal issue - but more grounded and with more restrained pandering. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's another solid overall production and compelling within its own right.
5. My Hero Academia 3rd Season - MHA taught me to love anime again, honestly. Season 1 came to me at a time when I hadn't watched any new anime in about two years, and its only been better since. This is the shounen anime adaptation I've always wanted. One with the integrity to take breaks between seasons, to avoid filler nonsense, and with just consistent-to-amazing production chops. Season 3 has moments that will, again, stick with me for the rest of my life. I love this anime and its manga.

Other Mentions:
Devilman Crybaby - Incredibly good, extremely art house, but it never really clicked with me and I'll probably never watch it again? (That's saying something good about it tbh).
Today's Menu For The Emiya Family - Just the absolute comfiest show. Also has shockingly good production values. Cutest Saber of all time.
Revue Starlight - for whatever reason I was so on board with this show and then it just... fizzled out in my mind. I think I got through episode 6 and I will endeavor to finish this, but it can't just be me that found it hard to stay interested.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU