Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

pospysyl posted:

Cinderella had Sandy Powell as costume designer, who's worked with Julie Taymor on her operas and on a lot of really great costume movies (she basically singlehandedly won Shakespeare in Love its Oscar). Beauty and the Beast had Jacqueline Durran, whose most famous costume work would probably be on Pan.

drat, I noticed that Beast's costume was actually pretty nice, and the men's costumes in that look pretty ok (I did not see that movie), but the girl's wearing some poo poo, huh?

I don't think Belle's dress is ugly at all, actually. I think there's some really nice details on it! If it were in any other movie, I wouldn't mind it at all, but it's just nothing like the iconic dress that's been recreated hundreds of times by cosplayers with much less budget than a full on Disney blockbuster.

Oh and I saw Incredibles 2 last night, but I think I heard way too much hype about it from friends and people I follow on social medias, and I ended up completely underwhelmed. Nice style, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bert of the Forest posted:

Speaking of Pan, I remember it had one of the laziest “prequel” details I’ve ever seen, as they establish that pre-baddie Captain Hook just literally has the last name of “Hook.”

When I learned that I kept waiting for the moment where he would lose his hand, replace it with a hook and say something like “seems fitting, doesn’t it.” But nothing like that ever even happened. What a waste of film that movie was.

I'm 99% certain his name has always been James Hook, and that's certainly been his name since the early 90's because I distinctly remember giggling about that when I watched the film Hook.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

big dyke energy posted:

Oh and I saw Incredibles 2 last night, but I think I heard way too much hype about it from friends and people I follow on social medias, and I ended up completely underwhelmed. Nice style, though!

I really enjoyed it at the time but afterwards some of the script issues started to bother me. Bird is obviously aware of and sensitive to how people took the somewhat muddled villain motivation of the first movie and extrapolated the worst possible interpretation from it considering that Tomorrowland was basically one giant feature-length "no seriously guys, not only am I not a Randian Objectivist but that worldview and the people who espouse are literally the cancer that is killing the planet" apology note but not only is the motivation of the villain in 2 equally messy but the worldbuilding they added was all over the place. Especially with regards to how the government of that world functions both in terms of supers and just how it generally functions given that the climax was built around an ambassador.

I don't want to accuse Bird of acting in bad faith but the script felt kind of messy in a way that made me think that in spite of his reassurances that he was only doing this because he finally had a script he was happy with that paying his dues to get out of movie jail after Tomorrowland flopped was as much a driving force as anything else.

Of course it was still one of the best Pixar movies in years and if it didn't come out in a year that had such an embarassment of riches wrt theatrical animated superhero movies there would be no contest that it was my favorite animated film I saw this year.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh yeah, I didn't/won't analyze it too deeply (I watched it when I was high), but the script was really messy, and like...halfway through it I was wondering when the story would start. I feel like that happened with Finding Dory, too, where a lot of the movie just felt like...scenes happening. Like, beautiful and lovely looking scenes! But they're only pretty to look at and nothing much more.

I also feel like they could have done so much more with...literally anything. We barely see how people react to Elastigirl's return. The kids don't even have a reaction to her doing actual costume super hero stuff, either, did they? The supers they introduced could have been way more interesting if we had gotten anything more than just their gimmicks.

But on a nicer note, I'm gonna watch Smallfoot I think, since I keep hearing how nice it is, plus I heard some of the score on the radio today so I think that's a sign.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does the 2019 line up for animated films (American and International) seems a bit meh this year? I mean yeah we have the film Dajjal The Slayer and His Followers, which is a co production between Pakistan, UK, Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Jordan which seems to have a heavy anti-Israel/antisemitic implication from the trailer. Son of Kashmir: Burhan seems to be a Pakistan film based on fighting India and freeing Kashmir. But other than that there is nothing really amazingly interesting this year that I see coming out.

I do think Addam's Family is going to be interesting at least but I dunno how it is going to be treated yet

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

big dyke energy posted:

I also feel like they could have done so much more with...literally anything. We barely see how people react to Elastigirl's return. The kids don't even have a reaction to her doing actual costume super hero stuff, either, did they? The supers they introduced could have been way more interesting if we had gotten anything more than just their gimmicks.

I don't know if it was intentional or not but one of the funniest scenes to me was when the kids catch their parents and Frozone sneaking out in the middle of the night in big obvious trenchcoats with their superhero costumes on underneath and the whole thing has a weird awkward swingers vibe to it. Especially given how the first movie used sneaking off to do superhero stuff as a metaphor for infidelity with Mr Incredible.

Something I've seen a lot of people say that I feel sums it up well is that it felt more like an episode in an ongoing Incredibles TV show than their triumphant return to cinema, which in an of itself isn't a bad thing but considering that it took 14 years to put it out (complete with a big self-congratulatory bumper from all the people who worked on the movie before the film started at my theater) it was kind of like...that's it? Also the huge time difference between the original and now made some stuff kind of distracting, some of the main returning cast definitely sounds older and more tired (to say nothing of them recasting people like Bud Luckey on account of them being dying/dead) and the designs of the new superheroes they introduce feel like they clash pretty distractingly with the unified look of the first movie, their human bodies were way more varied and exaggerated and toony and their costumes and colors and hairstyles were all over the place. And not in a "the 60s was the decade when everyone got more colorful and weird" way but in a "this is a completely different crop of animators" way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've read another of those Disney Twisted Tales, this time opting for the Aladdin variation A Whole New World, where after the cave of wonders collapses, Abu fails to steal the lamp back from Jafar at the start, forcing aladdin to dig his way out the hard way over a period of weeks in which Jafar takes over Agrabah.

Had some interesting ideas although got a bit more grimdark than the Mulan one, like Jafar trying to break the laws of magic so he can bring the dead back to life as slaves, which he does to every one who dies under his reign, including a few small children and the captain of the guard from the movie. With that there were some bittersweet moments, like the woman who finds her undead son and keeps him under control by swatting his bum with a wooden spoon whenever he goes into "Servant of Jafar" mode and scolding him with "I told you no fighting!" Also a fairly cool moment with the captain of the guard, with the one good interaction he has with Aladdin, as his undead form guards a door that Aladdin needs to get to Jafar's chambers - after initially being obstinate, like he always is, about the death toll, on finding out children are sharing his fate, he does the only thing his body will allow him to do, as he isn't allowed to disobey due to magic - drops his scimitar, and says "End this, Street Rat..."

It also has a neat twist on Jafar's final wish, where with his dying breath, he wishes that all magic dies with him. This strips the genie of all his power as well, not leaving him human, but simply a powerless dejected Djinn.

Not bad, but Reflection is still the most interesting IMO.

Of these books, I only have the Beauty and the Beast one, and the Sleeping Beauty one to go.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Since it didn't get mentioned in the OP's send-off of 2018 and I feel like a lot of animation fans passed it over for a lot of reasons (being relatively low budget, having the stigma of being a superhero movie without the boost of being part of a cinematic universe or the prestige of an experimental tour de force like Into The Spider-Verse, the residual grudge against the show for dominating the airwaves when Cartoon Network abandoned their channel to focus on streaming + taking a show a lot of people took seriously as kids and turning it into a farce) I just want to give Teen Titans GO! To The Movies a shout out as one of my most pleasant surprises of the year both in terms of animation and comedy. The balance of super meta inside baseball stuff about the oversaturation of superhero media and super dumb obvious jokes for kids is really good; they loaded the trailer with a bunch of fart jokes but even then the humor is usually from the fact that the Teen Titans are self-absorbed idiot children. It also works to make the odd moments of really dark and nihilistic humor hit really hard, I'm not usually the type of person who laughs out loud when i watch comedies by myself but the movie got several surprised belly laughs from me and there's one series of jokes in particular about halfway through that made me bounce from laughing out loud to feeling really bad to laughing again multiple times in the span of like a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEpX-XLHfr8

As an animation fan its television roots are very obvious but it takes advantage of the extra budget and layer of polish to cram the backgrounds with tons of references and gags and solid design work; for example, there's an early scene where they're outside a movie theater and every single poster on the marquee is a different visual gag and pun title based on the characters from Watchmen. Also the movie is a minor musical and the several musical numbers and dream sequences are where they cut loose and animate everything in completely different styles; Robin pitching his dream superhero movie with him reenacting a bunch of iconic comic book covers is very good and Upbeat Inspirational Song About Life where Michael Bolton croons about "80s songs with synthy vibes" in a cross between a Lisa Frank trapper keeper and a vaporwave youtube thumbnail is something I enjoy on a lot of levels both with and without irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJUsLiu3fU

So, yeah, if you overlooked it it's pretty cheap to stream and until Into The Spider-Verse hits home video it's probably the best animated superhero movie about superhero movies with Nic Cage in a supporting role on the voice cast and a gratuitous Stan Lee cameo that you can get without going to the theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUZm_CbZZG8

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It also had an amazing bit right before the end credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tytlsynyF-I

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Angry Birds 2 is going to be about how the birds get in trouble from the loss of the institution of marriage or allowing birds to be openly gay

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

It also had an amazing bit right before the end credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tytlsynyF-I

I was trying to mostly be spoiler-free since I wanted to sell it to people who had overlooked it but yeah that and the Titans methodically killing the parents of pretty much everyone in the DCU , right down to slapping a pearl necklace on Martha Wayne and then kicking her into Crime Alley with Thomas and little Bruce in tow, were amazing jokes.

Also them punching down on the live-action DC movies in general was very funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37pFk2dUNKY

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Guy Mann posted:

I was trying to mostly be spoiler-free since I wanted to sell it to people who had overlooked it but yeah that and the Titans methodically killing the parents of pretty much everyone in the DCU , right down to slapping a pearl necklace on Martha Wayne and then kicking her into Crime Alley with Thomas and little Bruce in tow, were amazing jokes.

killing Aquaman by tossing one of those plastic ring beer can holders into the ocean was probably the most shocking joke in a movie this side of First Reformed in 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watched Into the Spiderverse; its gorgeous but a) the film has some plot threads just have to resolve because there was 0 time due to smashing an origin story in an already overstuffed premise which left somethings unsatisfying and b) my boy Spiderman 2099 didnt get enough screen time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8CjDuZBKxg

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Watched Into the Spiderverse; its gorgeous but a) the film has some plot threads just have to resolve because there was 0 time due to smashing an origin story in an already overstuffed premise which left somethings unsatisfying and b) my boy Spiderman 2099 didnt get enough screen time.

Oh, wow, this is pretty much the opposite of my opinion. I mean, it is gorgeous, but my only problem with the movie was visual. Dear ambitious outside-the-box animators, please take care to ensure that your cool stylization methods don't constantly look like a 3D movie being watched without 3D glasses, I don't like being anxious that the theater has put on the wrong print of the movie, everything else was great, thanks in advance

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DC Murderverse posted:

killing Aquaman by tossing one of those plastic ring beer can holders into the ocean was probably the most shocking joke in a movie this side of First Reformed in 2018

I mean really considering how gleefully stupid the majority of comic book lore is I'm fully willing to accept that as Aquaman's actual origin story, it's not any less ridiculous than the other comic book stuff in the movie.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Up still makes me cry

I am a cliche

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

Up still makes me cry

I am a cliche

You could cure this by watching the mockbuster and cry for completely different reasons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

big dyke energy posted:

The costumes in Cinderella are good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QGGbT5HGxY

Augh! Look at that! That's such an amazing dress, and the extras look amazing too!

Because Cinderella was good for some weird reason. The rest are so loving bad.

Seriously, the Cinderella is not only the one good live-action remake, it's substantially better than the original. Really great. But just that one?? Why??

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Well, Cinderella was the first of these remakes since 101 Dalmatians, right? I think it had a lot more to prove to audiences/Disney and the people behind it probably wanted to make sure everything worked so it met those demands.

The rest already know live action remakes are profitable and probably don't think they need to work as hard on the same aspects. They choose to focus more on addressing people's problems with the original movies, even if they weren't actually problems to begin with.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I've posted it before, but I have literally asked myself "What would Gomez do?" when trying to sort out a tough familial situation.

He's completely useless in the movies though. When things get hard he just retreat to his cellar and starts playing with his model trains.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nah, that's just how he works through things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nerdman42 posted:

Well, Cinderella was the first of these remakes since 101 Dalmatians, right? I think it had a lot more to prove to audiences/Disney and the people behind it probably wanted to make sure everything worked so it met those demands.

The rest already know live action remakes are profitable and probably don't think they need to work as hard on the same aspects. They choose to focus more on addressing people's problems with the original movies, even if they weren't actually problems to begin with.

No, Cinderella was mid-pack. However, it had Kenneth Branagh as director instead of the absolutely talentless fuckwad Jon Favreau.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The fact that I never heard of the Live Action Cinderella remake until you guys brought it up late last thread even though it's apparently the best of the disney live action remakes says something. Not sure what, but something.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

nerdman42 posted:

At the very least, I can assume the dichotomy with Cinderella's costuming vs BatB can come down to this. Cinderella needed to prove itself to older audiences, and be a mature and respectable visual splendor. Meanwhile BatB was a surefire thing, so they probably market tested Belle's dress to hell to find which would be the most saleable to 5-year-olds.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The fact that I never heard of the Live Action Cinderella remake until you guys brought it up late last thread even though it's apparently the best of the disney live action remakes says something. Not sure what, but something.

It's not the only one that people liked. Jungle Book did pretty well too. Basically all of them did decently except for Beauty and the Beast.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not the only one that people liked. Jungle Book did pretty well too. Basically all of them did decently except for Beauty and the Beast.

BatB made the most out of any of the live action remakes, and it got good critical reviews as well. It's just that in the interim since its release people have cooled on it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

They barely advertised it at all, it was pretty easy to miss if you don't pay relatively close attention to Disney.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

It feels like once a month there's some new think piece about how nobody remembers Avatar despite it being the highest grossing film of all time (which in itself is a self-defeating argument for obvious reasons) but the live action Disney movies are the real deal when it comes to movies that have made billions of dollars while having zero actual pop culture impact or legacy.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

It feels like once a month there's some new think piece about how nobody remembers Avatar despite it being the highest grossing film of all time (which in itself is a self-defeating argument for obvious reasons) but the live action Disney movies are the real deal when it comes to movies that have made billions of dollars while having zero actual pop culture impact or legacy.

the thing is that I heard of all of the other modern live action disney remakes: Maleficent, Jungle Book, BatB, Christopher Robin (though I never realized it already came out :psyduck:), and the upcoming ones, but I straight up never heard of Cinderella, which is apparently the best of the lot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

the thing is that I heard of all of the other modern live action disney remakes: Maleficent, Jungle Book, BatB, Christopher Robin (though I never realized it already came out :psyduck:), and the upcoming ones, but I straight up never heard of Cinderella, which is apparently the best of the lot

They tried to bury it because it introduced the horrific notion and standard of being good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mary Poppins returns is a goddamn tire fire but the aping of the classic disney art style for the one section of the film that uses it was neat.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I finally saw Spiderman. Wow. Super impressed that the trailers were actually underselling how much style and flair was put into the art direction. I can't think of any big studio animation that has put that much effort into things. Also amazing that they managed to have satisfying story arcs and character building for multiple spidermens.

Lego Batman, Teen Titans Go to the Movies and now Spiderman: Into the Multiverse have pretty much proved that superheroes are best served up animated and not trying to ground themselves in the real world.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

I finally saw Spiderman. Wow. Super impressed that the trailers were actually underselling how much style and flair was put into the art direction. I can't think of any big studio animation that has put that much effort into things. Also amazing that they managed to have satisfying story arcs and character building for multiple spidermens.

Lego Batman, Teen Titans Go to the Movies and now Spiderman: Into the Multiverse have pretty much proved that superheroes are best served up animated and not trying to ground themselves in the real world.

I mean if Batman: Mask of the Phantasm didn't already prove that...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've always felt superheroes only work in visual mediums. You can't take a book about superheroes seriously. Makes a lot of sense that they do best in animation with the most room for stylisation and fewest limits.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I mean if Batman: Mask of the Phantasm didn't already prove that...

I'm just quoting you to say that Mask of the Phantasm is probably the best portrayal of Batman in any medium.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You can't take a book about superheroes seriously.

Counterpoint: Soon I Will Be Invincible

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

...and Angry Birds 2 which looks... there's no trailer yet but why did that movie even get a sequel

How, indeed? Is Angry Birds even that popular anymore?

ThermoPhysical posted:

From what I gather, reviews of the new Beauty and the Beast tend to claim that pretty much none of the new material introduced in the remake (including, as others have mentioned, attempts at addressing logical nitpicks put forth by internet critics) really worked out - that virtually everything it did right was copy/pasted from the animated movie we all know and love.

As far as I know, the only one which genuinely improved on its animated counterpart was Jungle Book, and that was mostly because the original was basically bits and pieces of Kipling's work loosely assembled into a plot (plus the message of "you belong with your own kind, no exceptions" probably wouldn't go over well by modern standards). Its planned sequel is the only live-action Disney film I've been actually anticipating, but there hasn't been any real news since it was greenlit. If they're going to continue remaking everything in the Disney Vault, they drat well better not forget about that one.

asecondduck posted:

I'm 99% certain his name has always been James Hook, and that's certainly been his name since the early 90's because I distinctly remember giggling about that when I watched the film Hook.

I distinctly remember him being referred to as "James Hook" in the series "Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates".

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The best live action thing Disney has done in modern times is Enchanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

asecondduck posted: