Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Christian Bale, as per usual, went extreme method for this role and put on weight (+prosthetics) and plays DICK CHENEY, one of the most hosed up, soulless, heartless, cold, etc etc human beings on the goddamn planet. The dude was able to finesse his way into power. We all remember those stories about him shooting that guy at a ranch that one time and just in general being a huge rear end in a top hat. But I feel like he's been very low key, and history has treated him low key (or completely ignored by many). Anyway Adam McKay is back with this film after The Big Short and this movie shares a lot of similarities with that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09a9laLh0k

quote:

Gov. George W. Bush of Texas picks Dick Cheney, the CEO of Halliburton Co., to be his Republican running mate in the 2000 presidential election. No stranger to politics, Cheney's impressive résumé includes stints as White House chief of staff, House Minority Whip and defense secretary. When Bush wins by a narrow margin, Cheney begins to use his newfound power to help reshape the country and the world.

I saw this movie last night and was surprised to see no thread for it at all here so I decided to make one to discuss this movie. Its apparently very polarizing! I very much enjoyed the movie and got VERY ANGRY after watching it, just remembering like oh yeah I forgot about all this hosed up poo poo that went down in the early 2000s (and even before too!). I personally feel its one of the most important films of the year alongside Sorry to Bother You.

Anyway yeah I'd like to discuss this movie and some of scenes and the tone and just overall the entire vibe and core messages of the movie. The whole focus group thing really stuck out to me since I feel we are increasingly being marketed too and sold all this poo poo the powers that be want us to buy (or support like the loving invasion of the Iraq war).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it's a very important movie that names the actual problem with the Republican Party as well as the broader diminishing of our nation's checks and balances. Bale's performance is a good one that finds humanity

But it's still a very messy and undisciplined movie. There are audacious touches and visual gags like the fake credits, the narration, and the fish lure scenes that work very well. But the movie also oddly glosses over Haliburton and Bush Sr's presidency. The credits scene seems indulgent as do a few of the cutaways.

I also wish they had expanded on these things as well. I keep seeing a lot of complaints that this movie humanizes Cheney too much but I really don't think it did. Like yeah he accepts his daughter coming out to him, but by the end of the movie he allows the sister to throw her under the bus just to keep power.