Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Sometime in May apparently? Also got the cheapest Founder's pack. $30 for all Gods forever? I'm surprised they even offered that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I still don't get how dilluting your already tiny (compared to other MOBAs) playersbase between two nearly identical games is a smart idea.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Mr. Neutron posted:

I still don't get how dilluting your already tiny (compared to other MOBAs) playersbase between two nearly identical games is a smart idea.

Part of the motivation behind Smite 2 was that Smite 1's engine had already been pushed to its limits. Developing new stuff for Smite 1 was getting slower and harder constantly, but it seems like they've had a far easier time on UE5. Plus easier to find devs for UE5 than UE3 that Smite 1 is built on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i'm not sure how its going to work out but this is a chance for them to get out of the enormous tech debt they're in.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Mr. Neutron posted:

I can't imagine anyone is going to play Smite 1 after this, there'd be little reason. I think they're just committing to it to get ahead of the normal criticism about Live Service, namely that people spent thousands in MTX just for the servers to shut down. Once the playerbase for Smite 1 is in the low hundreds a year or two from now they'll stop supporting it and likely shut it down if the cost-benefit doesn't work out. Remember this is Hi-Rez we're talking about.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pandaal posted:

Sometime in May apparently? Also got the cheapest Founder's pack. $30 for all Gods forever? I'm surprised they even offered that again.

Smite was the first MOBA I played and that deal spoiled me on MOBAs permanently.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Yeah I’m currently still playing a lot of Smite but I’d honestly grab this even if I weren’t just to lock in that deal again. With Smite they continued to sell the “all gods” package well after launch, but I think now that the game’s a success they can reel that in a bit.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Apparently the closed beta for founders starts this weekend.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Legacy gems is intended to remove any investment you may have had to smite 1. The goal is to move everybody to 2

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Kwolok posted:

Apparently the closed beta for founders starts this weekend.

it'll be the alpha, the game will be very buggy and unfinished

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The alpha play test is live now

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Paid smite 2 alpha currently has 2k more players then the f2p live game

I've been watching streams since it opened. A few janky animations here and there and minions pathing gets hosed up, but otherwise really solid for the first closed alpha. Servers seem fine as well

Dev stream earlier:

- don't expect MMR to reflect anything for at least two weekends. Mm will be a hot mess
- 14 gods in the alpha, no classes anymore so it's more flexible than it seems

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 2, 2024

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Played a game. It's SMITE! Feels solid already, the UI is really lovely. Liking the relatively minor but effective changes to Anubis (wrap does damage now, ult hits hard upfront). Lots more objectives on the map than I remember, but it's been some years since I've played Conquest in 1. Only complaint is hitting 1 through 4 a second time activates the ability, which led to some unintended fires--hopefully that's an option I missed or is added.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Couple issues I’m having:

VGS isn’t separated from movement properly. If you use a VGS command on any of the WASD keys it moves and sends VGS. Annoying as hell if you’re autorunning back to lane or trying to tele back to fountain and a VGS cancels it.

Autorun isn’t working for me, I bind it to mouse so that might be the issue but it’s just acting as a “W” keybind I have to hold. Defeats the purpose of autorun.

Autobuilder doesn’t work reliably but the devs mentioned that in their video before the alpha launch to they’re aware of that at least.

Game otherwise looks and runs well, feels like Smite. We’ll see how the changes to jungle and the duo lane pan out but I’m optimistic for now. Gonna go back to Smite 1 for now since the MM is a nightmare but it’s really nice.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
How do I inspect my character's abilities once in game. I have no idea what any of this poo poo does lmao

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
They said in the dev stream that autorun is jacked and that it got added back in at the last second and even they hadn't tested it yet lol

If you're playing on console hitting up on the dpad will get you tooltips for your skills but those are also jacked in this build lol and only show tips for skills you've unlocked

Incon said this entire thing has been in development for about five months now. Patch notes stress most UI elements, item art, audio, etc are placeholders. They don't expect servers to be 24/7 and open to free players until January. This is very much a "jump in and gently caress around with the new systems" alpha to the point where they probably don't even need to keep score lol. It plays really well though, every skill has punch, the new visual ability information makes team fights look like anime battles, good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Every skill does not have punch (or at least the storm dragon guy I played whose name I've forgotten). His first ability doesn't even seem to have a projectile render lol

That being said it's an alpha. The lack of audio is kinda jarring, it's often just silent