Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

esperterra posted:

tbh I really like the movie, it cuts a lot of the fluff-- tho losing Contact is a sin-- and Dawson and Thoms were great as Mimi and Joanne. Worst thing about the movie is the awkwardness of the original cast tryna pull off being in their 20s.

I like the filmed live on broadway version because it has the whole show and keeps the best part of the movie (Thoms’s Joanne).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I saw Waitress last night and I really liked it. It was a small story very well told. Sara Bareilles’s music was fantastic; I particularly liked the “Sugar...Butter...Flour” motif that played throughout the show. The show was funny, sweet, sad. It was one of the few musicals I’ve gone into blind (deaf?), not knowing anything about the show and also not really knowing very much about Sara Bareilles’s music either, it really made me want to check out some of her other stuff.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I saw the tour of Anastasia last night. It was not great. I liked the second act, but the first was a bit of a slog. I’ve enjoyed the other Flaherty and Ahrens musicals I’ve listened to before, but they weren’t as good as they have been. It’s an adaptation of the ‘97 animated film and kept a few of the songs from the movie and for the most part they were the best songs in the show, particularly in the first act. Disappointing.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

b u t t e r

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Here's the version without her -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mUCRAPLas

But I guess it only makes sense if you know what you're missing out on -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2CIVWj7U0

e: Ha! I didn't realize she was physically edited out of the shots, I presumed they just cut around her. That's hilarious and mad.

I love when they start referencing Spice Girl lyrics while she gets increasingly annoyed.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I saw The Play That Goes Wrong last night. It was hilarious, highly recommend. The premise is a small community theatre putting on a serious murder-mystery and everything coming off at the seams. Ridiculously funny.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Got to see Ragtime last night. I really love that show.
The performance was phenomenal. Well staged, well acted, well sung. Ragtime’s score is one of my favorites and this was my first opportunity to actually see the show. Fantastic.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Saw Miss Saigon last night. It was okay.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I saw the tour of Dear Evan Hansen the other night.
I was blown away by how good it was. I had listened to the score once like a year ago and it seemed fine, but in the context of the show it was really, really good.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Saw The Band’s Visit last night. Really wonderful, unique musical. Highly recommend if you get the opportunity to see it. Phenomenal.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

I think the idea is “hey kids, you can survive being shamed on social media, don’t kill yourself.”

Who had to survive being shamed on social media? The Murphys?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The current touring production of Once On This Island is fantastic. A truly excellent revival.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Remulak posted:

Tour of The Play That Goes Wrong worth it?

YES! Hilarious, highly recommend.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Evan wasn't shamed on social media. The letter is released, the internet turns on the Murphy's, Evan confesses to the Murphy's, and they don't reveal his duplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I just saw Come From Away. Holy poo poo! This show is ridiculously good. I just knew the barest bones of the premise and had heard a couple of songs before seeing the show and I was completely blown away. Well worth seeing if you get a chance.