Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You could call Rent dated, but I think it's more of its time and reflective of Larson's life. It would be easy to hate on that if it weren't so drat good. I'd posit that it just got overplayed among millennials, and that movie certainly did it no favors. It'd be nice to see it set aside to breathe for a little bit so that people can get back to appreciating it.

I've never seen Avenue Q so I'm pretty bummed about its closure. There's absolutely no way I'm making it to New York by April :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

tbh I really like the movie, it cuts a lot of the fluff-- tho losing Contact is a sin-- and Dawson and Thoms were great as Mimi and Joanne. Worst thing about the movie is the awkwardness of the original cast tryna pull off being in their 20s.

I like the movie more than I dislike it, but other than losing Contact, the shoddy production value got to me. The cgi cold-breath was garish and I understand the need for auto tune but it soundedlike t pain.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

I think RENT is also coming this year, and I figure I should see it live at least once in my lifetime, or I'd be a bad theatre gay otherwise tbh

I got to see it on Broadway. The set and staging is just intensely creative and effective. If you can make it happen you owe it to yourself.

The comedy bit is that this is when Mel B of Spice Girls fame played Mimi and she was the worst part by far.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think we might be needing a link.

E: crap, new page. Regarding Mel B being ridiculous on television.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

EL BROMANCE posted:

But I guess it only makes sense if you know what you're missing out on -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS2CIVWj7U0

e: Ha! I didn't realize she was physically edited out of the shots, I presumed they just cut around her. That's hilarious and mad.

Okay I'm sorry but this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

garthoneeye posted:

Got to see Ragtime last night. I really love that show.
The performance was phenomenal. Well staged, well acted, well sung. Ragtime’s score is one of my favorites and this was my first opportunity to actually see the show. Fantastic.

We had to do a bunch of Ragtime poo poo for choir one year, and I'd forgotten how much fun it was until now. I think the music hits the perfect medium between approachable and musically clever, really evocative of time and place in a way that a lot of other shows miss completely (Showboat, anyone?).