Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Goon Discord https://discord.gg/YqvBA6n

Tree of Savior is the spiritual sequel to Ragnarok Online. Released in early 2016, it has undergone a massive number of balance changes, introduced numerous new classes, and currently has a max level of 390, with another massive balance change hitting the international servers in the coming weeks, called Rebuild. The game is a lot of fun to play now, although still a little janky, but it is free to play and the cash shop is entirely useless and contains nothing worth spending money on except for maybe the occasional companion that is super cute looking.

I like Tree of Savior because it's a very casual MMO Action RPG. The playerbase is quite small but very helpful and there are always enough people around. I've never been concerned about the player numbers. One of the other things I like is how ranks & classes work. In Tree of Savior you start off picking from one of 4 classes, and then from there you branch off into a total of 9 ranks, each one introducing two new classes. This is changing with the Rebuild update to be just 4 classes total, your base class listed below, and then 3 classes of your choice. Each class can level up to a total of 45 levels, and then your base level can go up to 390. What is unique about this game is that you are essentially playing all classes you choose at once. You can combine all of their skills together, with the exception of weapon specific skills; so like you might choose under swordsman, one of the classes that uses spears, but if you don't have spears equipped then you can't use some of those skills. There are also companion mount skills that require that you are riding your companion.

The environments are also pretty and diverse! Although I think Ragnarok Online had more interesting zones, but Tree of Savior has the same level of attention to detail and cool enemy designs that RO was so well known for. And the anime looking characters that you can play as are far superior looking in my opinion. :3:

Another thing I love about Tree of Savior that makes it superior to a lot of other MMORPGs out there, is how respectful of your time it is, and how friendly it is to the player. Leveling up is fast, and item drops are very common. There is really no need to run around doing hundreds of quests, there are not that many quests in the game to begin with. Your leveling and gaining level appropriate gear is going to come from just grinding and killing mobs. Player buffs that are readily available in towns will allow you to level up on mobs that are way above your level. Tree of Savior does not at all try to restrict your enjoyment and force you into content that you're not interested in doing. There are activities that are maybe more efficient, but they are in no way required and not doing them will not hold you back.

UI Addon Manager
https://github.com/JTosAddon/Tree-of-Savior-Addon-Manager

Leveling Guide:
You absolutely don't have to follow this, there is no wrong way to play the game and you can go at your own pace. This is just a layout that i've been following and seems to be commonly accepted as a very efficient way to level up.

Lvl 1 ~ 50: East Siauliai Woods and West Siauliai Woods until you can afford player buffs in town, then level in Tenet Garden. Always get your in-town buffs before going out leveling! This is super important and makes a gigantic difference as it allows you to punch way above your level and gives you a lot more freedom in how you want to level your characters.

Lvl 50 ~ 114: Feretory Hills

Lvl 114 ~ 202: Demon Prison District 2

Lvl 202 ~ 230: Cranto Coast and do the Challenge mode there.

Lvl 230 ~ 270: Kalejimas Visiting Room

Lvl 270 ~ 315: Timerys Temple

Lvl 315 ~ 357: Sausys Room 9

Lvl 357 ~ 390: Spell Tome Town

Classes - https://treeofsavior.com/page/class/

Wizard

Cleric

Swordsman

Archer

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

game is good.

its time for me to not visit SA again for a few months pce yall

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What the point of making a new topic right before the patch comes out that changes everything?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clarste posted:

What the point of making a new topic right before the patch comes out that changes everything?

No one reads the OP anyways. :v: it can always be updated as needed. There isn't an open thread for the game and it's still a good time to play as a brand new player in my opinion.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
As someone with a lot of nostalgia for noted Dumb Game RO, I gave this is a try back when it dropped on Steam, but fell off immediately. I'll give it another go if they've improved it, though I might wait for this patch to drop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is my main. :3: I'm pretty sure their build is terrible as I am just winging it and picking costumes I like, but i'm level 300 now and doing just fine anyways.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New trailer for Tree of Savior explaining Rebuild https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdkCR_632_E it launches next week.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Silento posted:

game is good.

its time for me to not visit SA again for a few months pce yall

Are you sure it’s good? Cause it was real bad.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

New trailer for Tree of Savior explaining Rebuild https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdkCR_632_E it launches next week.

Class rank overhaul and adding grindable class resets looks good. Have they changed the way the skill cooldowns work, the overheat system was kinda dumb.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

clone on the phone posted:

Are you sure it’s good? Cause it was real bad.

Waddled in here to laugh that people were giving Tree of Life another try.
That shitheap left mental scars.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me right back in! :shepspends:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Blessed Cube item list for tomorrow. I want most of those hats.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Came back to this game with Nevers, did the new character speed leveling strat from OP 2 times. As a duo and solo. Super smooth, super fast.

Tried it again after patch, and it's a real slog. Less xp, sturdier mobs, weaker hits. We duo'd the Succubus field boss in Feretory Hills pre-rebuild with no problems, now she one shots me for 4 times my max HP.

Leveling might be a slog again you guys, I was promised ez leveling to come back to!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay got my characters all setup, that was a lot less stressful then I expected. They do a lot less damage however but it's no big deal.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Played this game a lot at release and on and off for a while.

I could never wrap my head around how much better optimized the Korean version was. It's a fun grindfest, at least with a friend.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You know, I'm starting to think RE:Build has been poorly thought out and implemented.

We can choose classes that focus on daggers, cannons, or rifles as our first or second advancement, but have no readily available weapons of those types beyond a level 1 version you might have started off with. There are no daggers between levels 1 and 75, and there are no cannons or rifles between levels 1 and 220. :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Another thing I love about Tree of Savior that makes it superior to a lot of other MMORPGs out there, is how respectful of your time it is, and how friendly it is to the player. Leveling up is fast, and item drops are very common. There is really no need to run around doing hundreds of quests, there are not that many quests in the game to begin with. Your leveling and gaining level appropriate gear is going to come from just grinding and killing mobs. Player buffs that are readily available in towns will allow you to level up on mobs that are way above your level. Tree of Savior does not at all try to restrict your enjoyment and force you into content that you're not interested in doing. There are activities that are maybe more efficient, but they are in no way required and not doing them will not hold you back.

This part of the OP makes the game sound extremely chill. Is it really this non-grindy?

I have a ton of RO nostalgia and I love the idea of jumping into a game that lets me use a bunch of cool classes and blow up big groups of cute monsters for loot. I'd just assumed ToS was going to be extremely grindy like RO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

This part of the OP makes the game sound extremely chill. Is it really this non-grindy?

I have a ton of RO nostalgia and I love the idea of jumping into a game that lets me use a bunch of cool classes and blow up big groups of cute monsters for loot. I'd just assumed ToS was going to be extremely grindy like RO.

Unfortunately I need to back track a bit on that one; Re:build has made things significantly more challenging because of reasons. Mobs have a lot more health and you do a lot less damage now. :/ I don't understand why IMC would make this change. At 390 levels it shouldn't be that big of a deal making the game more faster paced.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Unfortunately I need to back track a bit on that one; Re:build has made things significantly more challenging because of reasons. Mobs have a lot more health and you do a lot less damage now. :/ I don't understand why IMC would make this change. At 390 levels it shouldn't be that big of a deal making the game more faster paced.

Would you say it's at a point now where you wouldn't recommend jumping in if I'm not in for something really grindy, or is it still paced, y'know, semi-reasonably?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I made a new character of the new starting class last night and the starting zone enemies seemed much beefier. The first tutorial boss took dozens and dozens of hits to wittle down. I lost interest in continuing almost immediately after.

I can't speak to the larger overall flow of the game but when I did this same area like two weeks ago you just smashed through poo poo in a Diablo like manner, which was more fun imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I think they shifted a lot of XP into quests, which the patch notes say are worth 3 times as much XP now. Personally I like that since "grinding" mobs in any fashion, even efficiently, is basically the definition of Hell to me. Blazing through zones doing quests is fine by me though. I'll admit that maybe this removes the choice from the player though.

Also I dunno about class balance but I've been blowing stuff up as a sage from 1-120 without any problems. Bosses can take a while because of my limited cooldowns though, a problem that was more or less solved by second advancement.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Schubalts posted:

You know, I'm starting to think RE:Build has been poorly thought out and implemented.

We can choose classes that focus on daggers, cannons, or rifles as our first or second advancement, but have no readily available weapons of those types beyond a level 1 version you might have started off with. There are no daggers between levels 1 and 75, and there are no cannons or rifles between levels 1 and 220. :psyduck:

This part sounds real dumb though. I hope that starting rifle is strong!

Edit: I just created an archer and the description of the starting rifle they give you says it levels along with your character up to 170.

Edit2: Looks like the damage goes up at certain level thresholds, ie: when you hit level 40 it suddenly jumps up in power to be a level 40 weapon.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 16, 2019

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Haven't played this in a hot minute, messing around some I like most of the changes in theory. But I'm really bummed at the new base class destroying a lot of my favorite old builds, like buff wizard and matador/corsair :( it's a little hard to get over but at least I have plenty of characters to experiment with.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I got 2 weapon/subweapon and 4 armor equipment boxes from the main story quests just before tenet garden that let me choose from a selection of level 40 purple items

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Red Red Blue posted:

I got 2 weapon/subweapon and 4 armor equipment boxes from the main story quests just before tenet garden that let me choose from a selection of level 40 purple items

There's another quest box with a full set of 120 gear right outside Fediman too. To be honest I level up too fast so I ended up skipping around the map at random and have no idea where the rewarding quests are. I was actually still using level 40 gear when I got the 120 chests.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
These Re:Build changes got me super excited, the game seems to be going in a direction I really enjoy <3
My only worry is SP usage, I wonder what the strat for SP sustainability for each class is, other than chugging potions like a madman.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Level up before you run out of SP imo.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
That's terrible!
I wonder if the Squire meals are worthwhile though, they seem to have a lot of pretty cool effects geared towards sustainability.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Subweapon boxes, and finally learning how the leveling weapons work (why is that not explained anywhere in-game?), make this dagger gap hurt less.

Raruna posted:

These Re:Build changes got me super excited, the game seems to be going in a direction I really enjoy <3
My only worry is SP usage, I wonder what the strat for SP sustainability for each class is, other than chugging potions like a madman.

Lot of negativity about SP usage. Squires and Alchemists are very important right now, and HP/SP potion prices are skyrocketing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how the assassin looks but dont know how effective it would be in PVE. Seems like the game would want me to be Assassin > Corsair > Enchanter maybe? Sub out enchanter for squire?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Does anyone have any idea where to get the boxes for level 270 gear? Or if those boxes even exist? I feel like I've done all the main quests around that level.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It almost feels like the game is designed around having priest buffs active to be able to make a dent on mobs and bosses while leveling. Leveling my sin and it's pretty quick, 100+ already just questing inneficiently and the class itself felt pretty bad till job level 30+ got me the aoe nuke. It's just that if I don't have the priest buffs it takes like 5 times longer to kill a mob

Enchanter is def going to be my second job by the looks of it, don't know if I want thaumaturge or Corsair for third

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 18, 2019

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Assassin > Shinobi > Enchanter because maximum Naruto.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

This game is kinda fun and the characters are so cute. I like the historically based classes that try to stay true to themes. It seems like such honest care went into those aspects it's a shame that the basic game part is lacking something. I still think it should be more popular.

So far I'm a necromancer > featherfoot and I want to maybe pick alchemist last to complete how suboptimal I am.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I especially like the Kabbalist class based around esoteric numerology. I still have no idea what that even does in combat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Switched out assassin to corsair while leveling and with enchanter it such a strong auto attacker. Hexen Dropper also applies all your extra damage to each hits so its just a sudden flash of aoe damage infront of you. Its a bit wonky because you are not picking any of the extra circles abilities for corsair, just the two buffs and hexen so you have 45 points all on the first tier of abilities.

I'm probably going to get assassin as my third job but linker can be good too. Linker probably has more aoe damage while assassin gets higher crit rate and aspd

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I used my returning stuff and class tree change to switch from swordsman to cleric (looking over the swords classes I can't even remember what I was shooting for) and I'm thinking of going Paladin for sure but I'm not 100% what else to go with it. It looks like there's a build popularity ranking thing on the official site but I dunno how much stock to put into that. Kabbalist and Exorcist look cool but then that's three differently colored icons and that seems like it could be unwise?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
class icon colors are an outdated holdover for the most part so don't let that stop you

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think the class colors themselves matter, but different classes have different stat balances (and the game takes the average of all your classes) so you could potentially weaken yourself by choosing wildly different ones. Cleric in particular has classes with no str and classes with no int, so if you choose both paladin and exo you'll end up bad at both. Possibly.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alrighty, thanks, that's good to know. As a kind of followup, does it matter what order I take my three advanced classes in? Even if it's just in terms of appearances.