Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I didn't even know the counter went that high lol

it goes up to the 65,535 upper bound of that variable type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

graph posted:

applicationBadgeNumber is an int so theoretically it should allow me to hit 2,147,483,647 emails before it rolls over

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my SE is dying and im in big trouble because all of the phones are bad now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe Microsoft will surprise everyone with a secret new good phone :unsmith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my bitter bi rival posted:

lol owned

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

maybe Microsoft will surprise everyone with a secret new good phone :unsmith:

maybe, but it would be a first, because all their old ones were definitely not good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone 10 was really really good as the phone os. it needs more apps but its so much better at being a phone os than ios or android.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rotor posted:

have some loving self-respect jesus

oh yeah happy 2019th birthday sorry it's a little late

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

windows phone 10 was really really good as the phone os. it needs more apps but its so much better at being a phone os than ios or android.

it needed more apps. it's dead now, and microsoft will never enter the phone market again (as it should be)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you could buy another SE for very cheap I guess

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they're actually very good and way better than your children's phone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
do any of them have headphone jacks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

they're actually very good and way better than your children's phone

I have the latest phone and its bad.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

do any of them have headphone jacks

some androids still have 3.5mm jacks

every current phone is too big though. i had to use my old Nexus 4 for a few days due to dead phone and i was surprised at the size of it. i thought it was a hulking monsterphone when i first got it, but it looks almost *dainty* next to anything that's launched in the past year or two

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I had a Nokia candybar then a RAZR then a Treo (one of the Windows ones) then a BlackBerry or two, then a Pre, then a Sarnsung (whichever Sprint Galaxy had the sidekick-style flip-out keyboard), then Apples iPhone for the last 8 years or so?

E: The current one is called "Ce n'est pas un iPhone (4)" so I'm guessing 8 or 9 years now?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 8, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what happened to the anroid word filter

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

dreading this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what happened to the anroid word filter

Anroid.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Aynrandroid

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

anyone know if android is more aggressive with terminating background apps and evicting stuff from memory, compared to ios? anecdotally i've noticed that the iphone i've been using is often able to restore games from the app switcher to the exact point i was at when i switched away from the game previously. on android a lot of times you get kicked back to a game menu or even to the title screen. the android phone i'm comparing this to did launch a year before the iphone i'm using, but they have the same amount of ram. and yeah i know android might have higher ram usage due to many apps running on VM but these are cross-platform games which i assume are coded in c++ or something

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
recently I had to upgrade from my iPhone 6s to the x since I accidentally went swimming in the ocean with it

it’s didn’t fair well

so now I have an iPhone X and tbh the Face ID is better than Touch ID. the gestures take some getting used to and the notch actually gets in the way if I hold it a certain way in the awful app. but all in all not bad

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

graph posted:

I’ve had a blackberry, Samsungs, Sonys and iPhones.

iOS was always by far the best experience, not leaving it any time soon. (The price sucks here though)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 8, 2019

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i stand corrected

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eventually it just truncates

por ejemplo:

code:
    func application(_ application: UIApplication, didFinishLaunchingWithOptions launchOptions: [UIApplication.LaunchOptionsKey: Any]?) -> Bool {
        let center = UNUserNotificationCenter.current()
        // Request permission to display a badge.
        center.requestAuthorization(options: [.badge]) { (granted, error) in
            DispatchQueue.main.async {
                application.applicationIconBadgeNumber = Int.max
            }
        }
        return true
    }

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
you guys convinced me to clean up my email.

i just deleted every single thing in my work account without reading any of it.

my personal account still requires a bit of work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

you guys convinced me to clean up my email.

i just deleted every single thing in my work account without reading any of it.

excellent

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Just automate it, set up a filter to put any incoming email directly in the trash

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

WilWheaton posted:

Just automate it, set up a filter to put any incoming email directly in the trash

i went to set this up as a joke image for this thread, went through my gmail settings, just noticed my ex had set up all my emails to forward to her personal account before she went to prison.

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i went to set this up as a joke image for this thread, went through my gmail settings, just noticed my ex had set up all my emails to forward to her personal account before she went to prison.

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

:yikes:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

i used to be annoyed with the precision of ios volume control until they utilized 3d touch on control center. push and hold on the volume and it scales up way larger and you drag up or down to change it. it allows you to adjust it with the tiniest increments

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

at least *someone* took responsibility and read your loving email

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

is she still in prison

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

and to think if you’d proactively kept your inbox clean you never would have been in this position to find this rule

see sometimes procrastinating works

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

:stare:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is she still in prison

nah she got out a bit ago

Rex-Goliath posted:

and to think if you’d proactively kept your inbox clean you never would have been in this position to find this rule

see sometimes procrastinating works

hell yeah

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this was ~10 years ago.

neat.

uh

good luck?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
hey firefox suggested this to me and i feel validated:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/case-inbox-infinity/579673/

"the case for inbox infinity"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/rrhoover/status/1075524760275021824

guys i think i hosed up by cleaning up my email

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

seems like it'd be a trivial matter to add a bullshit number to the unread count before sending it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
"please be advised that my inbox currently contains 69.420 unread e-mails"