Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

if u used them you'd be like: "oh, this is so much better". you stick ur fav apps on the home screen and then everything else is in an app list. the ios way is like a messy desktop with poo poo scattered everywhere on multiple pages

I did use them

they were not better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they were

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

maybe my irony meter is broken but i really don't understand why anyone feels the need to defend the "you have to janitor it all yourself and also you can't actually ensure that stuff will stay in the spot you put it" ios desktop mechanics

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

moving stuff around isn’t janitoring, it’s pretty straightforward. seems like it’s weird dorks who care enough to have a problem with it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i just want to use my phone man....................................................please

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

OldAlias posted:

moving stuff around isn’t janitoring, it’s pretty straightforward. seems like it’s weird dorks who care enough to have a problem with it

the issue is when you move something and then literally everything that came after it on the screen also immediately moves, destroying any sense of spatial layout you may have had. so you either need to re-learn where everything is, or janitor it.

apple used to understand about spatial memory, idk why they hate it now but it's bad and they should fix it. just leave a loving gap and make filling the gap a deliberate action for the user, it's not hard

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the ironic part is stebe railing against the spatial janitoring required by the classic finder, but then for ios he signed off on a system that has the exact same problems (minus all the finder windows, ofc)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

the issue is when you move something and then literally everything that came after it on the screen also immediately moves, destroying any sense of spatial layout you may have had. so you either need to re-learn where everything is, or janitor it.

apple used to understand about spatial memory, idk why they hate it now but it's bad and they should fix it. just leave a loving gap and make filling the gap a deliberate action for the user, it's not hard

they copied blackberry on their initial design to get it out the door and nobody thought to go back and revisit the decision.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

yeah they were

nuh-uh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Soricidus posted:

I love Apple apologists supporting this utterly ridiculous design choice by saying “what, you just have to move stuff around a bunch repeatedly!! what’s the big whoop?!!?!?”

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I like it when inconsequential ui features get goons super bent out of shape

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

what’s the big whoop?!!?!?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

i like it when it's possible to discuss the pros and cons of a thing without goons acting like you have to pretend a thing is perfect if you like it, and the only reason you would ever post anything critical is if you are literally shaking with rage

is the ui feature a terrible blight on humanity, a crime that makes hitler look like a saint, an abomination so awful that it blights my entire life and leaves me sobbing uncontrollably every time i uninstall an app? of course it loving isn't. it's a minor inconvenience. it's also a very bad design, and a company like apple that pretends to care about user experience should be ashamed of making GBS threads out something so poorly thought out.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i push the buttons on my iphone and the app opens up, shrug

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

i push the buttons on my iphone and the app opens up, shrug

same but all my devices

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

even my clunker kindle fire running some horrid android fork

tbh most everything is okay these days

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
every andoird phone I've had to use has been utter garbage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:siren:my boyfriend:siren: has a pixel 3 though, he seems to like it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Silver Alicorn posted:

:siren:my boyfriend:siren: has a pixel 3 though, he seems to like it

my gal likes her s8+ fine (its a flipping tank) but the samsung skin is awful. im gonna agitate for a pixel for her next phone

also congrats on the good phone bf :3:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Soricidus posted:

i like it when it's possible to discuss the pros and cons of a thing without goons acting like you have to pretend a thing is perfect if you like it, and the only reason you would ever post anything critical is if you are literally shaking with rage

is the ui feature a terrible blight on humanity, a crime that makes hitler look like a saint, an abomination so awful that it blights my entire life and leaves me sobbing uncontrollably every time i uninstall an app? of course it loving isn't. it's a minor inconvenience. it's also a very bad design, and a company like apple that pretends to care about user experience should be ashamed of making GBS threads out something so poorly thought out.

OH MY loving GOD

GOD drat IT WHY

THIS IS MAKING MY LIFE SHIIIIIT

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

OH MY loving GOD

GOD drat IT WHY

nice desktop grandpa.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

nice desktop grandpa.

hey shut up my desktop is awesome, why don’t you post yours if yours is so awesome

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TED

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

OH MY loving GOD

GOD drat IT WHY

why did you quote my post when you aren’t responding to anything I said?

also good job carefully choosing the situation in which the minimum number of icons moves

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

post you’re phone desktop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

hey shut up my desktop is awesome, why don’t you post yours if yours is so awesome

its not awesome because I also have a lovely iphone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its not awesome because I also have a lovely iphone

:thunk:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Silver Alicorn posted:

post you’re phone desktop

ok

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 1, 2019

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

powerful

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Soricidus posted:

why did you quote my post when you aren’t responding to anything I said?

also good job carefully choosing the situation in which the minimum number of icons moves

I just shuffled around my icons and they sorted themselves!! time to throw my phone in the ocean and get a new one, this one is clearly defective

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

putting the search bar on the bottom like that is some :gonk: poo poo imo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

putting the search bar on the bottom like that is some :gonk: poo poo imo

that's where your thumb goes and searching for apps is often nicer than trying to remember where you left the icon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's where your thumb goes and searching for apps is often nicer than trying to remember where you left the icon

:yeah:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah ios is really dated as poo poo and they don't have anyone left to question their designs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this is the correct way to launch applications. truly something that brings ios and android users together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

maybe my irony meter is broken but i really don't understand why anyone feels the need to defend the "you have to janitor it all yourself and also you can't actually ensure that stuff will stay in the spot you put it" ios desktop mechanics

As a former Blackberry, Win Pho, Nextel, and Android user , since switching to iOS I no longer feel to post threads like this.

I only respond when someone reminds me that telephone psychosis is a thing, it never otherwise crosses my mind.