Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i just wanted a thread for people who had to switch to a different phone os because imo there are a ton of little quirky differences that are not obvious at all. like i am a complete idiot who couldn't figure out the basic functions of the ios reminders app for an entire week. (in before "your problem is not with ios lol")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i just wanted a thread for people who had to switch to a different phone os because imo there are a ton of little quirky differences that are not obvious at all. like i am a complete idiot who couldn't figure out the basic functions of the ios reminders app for an entire week. (in before "your problem is not with ios lol")

yeah well

your phone is a piece of poo poo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yospos bithc

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

My Linux Rig posted:

OH MY loving GOD

GOD drat IT WHY

THIS IS MAKING MY LIFE SHIIIIIT

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

telephone cultists

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

yeah well

your phone is a piece of poo poo

oh noooooooooo

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

it literally has a tutorial app built in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Partycat posted:

it literally has a tutorial app built in

lol wow what a feature

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i discovered the other day that in safari for ios, you can long-press the bottom-bar tab icon (the two overlapping windows), or you can long-press the "done" button while in the tab-management UI, and it will give you a list-menu popup of various tab-management actions you can take. it took me like 2 months to figure this out because ios seems to not really be big on the long-press-to-enable-extra-functions gesture, so it didn't occur to me for a long time to even try it. note note that these two list-menu dialogs that pop up when you long press have quite different abilities

maybe i shouldn't have deleted the tutorial app on day 1, idk :shobon:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 4, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you can long-press the "done" button while in the tab-management UI, and it will give you a list-menu popup of various tab-management actions you can take.

indigi posted:

lol wow what a feature

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

winphone and

lol

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i discovered the other day that in safari for ios, you can long-press the bottom-bar tab icon (the two overlapping windows), or you can long-press the "done" button while in the tab-management UI, and it will give you a list-menu popup of various tab-management actions you can take. it took me like 2 months to figure this out because ios seems to not really be big on the long-press-to-enable-extra-functions gesture, so it didn't occur to me for a long time to even try it. note note that these two list-menu dialogs that pop up when you long press have quite different abilities

maybe i shouldn't have deleted the tutorial app on day 1, idk :shobon:

I discovered the other day on my work phone that theres a difference between long press and hard long press wtf why is pressure a thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

under no conditions are you to say "ok google"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I discovered the other day on my work phone that theres a difference between long press and hard long press wtf why is pressure a thing

if it's ios you can turn off the "3D touch" in the settings app. it annoyed me while i was learning it, but it's kinda handy once you get the hang of it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

under no conditions are you to say "ok google"

good lord no. i don't talk to robots

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

why is force touch so bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

why is force touch so bad

it sounds rapey.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve never had issues with 3d touch

perhaps you are holding it wrong?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it works but ive been using a iphone with it for almost half a year now and it still feels, i dunno, "fiddly"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it works but ive been using a iphone with it for almost half a year now and it still feels, i dunno, "fiddly"

it's more of a viola

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

when an app uses it well, its great, like for rss readers, email clients, and emssaging apps offering previews of detail views with swipable actions. theres just no good or standard design to them, so you could have that in say, mail.app or fiery feeds where they perform fairly consistently, but messages.app and messenger both behave totally differently

its not a transferable skill for a lot of apps, and that makes it feel flaky to me. i like it but suspect its lagging too much on clever adoption to be permanent and will be deprecated while keeping haptic feedback for other actions

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

force touch my balls

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

it's more of a viola

Q: how do you know when you've balanced your viola players?

A: when the drool comes out of both sides of their mouths

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Q: how do you know when you've balanced your viola players?

A: when the drool comes out of both sides of their mouths

So violas players are the bassists for orchestra kids?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

when an app uses it well, its great, like for rss readers, email clients, and emssaging apps offering previews of detail views with swipable actions. theres just no good or standard design to them, so you could have that in say, mail.app or fiery feeds where they perform fairly consistently, but messages.app and messenger both behave totally differently

its not a transferable skill for a lot of apps, and that makes it feel flaky to me. i like it but suspect its lagging too much on clever adoption to be permanent and will be deprecated while keeping haptic feedback for other actions

it's one of those things that react native/xamarin/phonegap apps will never support so it'll never reach true ubiquity

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Schadenboner posted:

So violas players are the bassists for orchestra kids?

drummer spotted

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I thought bassists were the bassists of orchestras

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

banjo/drummer/viola jokes are nearly all interchangeable :eng101:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

iOS is the least bad but reading this thread made me realise just how poo poo the home screen/icon ux is

I haven’t used it for years, I just swipe down and search for apps every time. that’s because it’s poo poo

although, I do this on my desktop with Alfred too. is Apple poo poo, or is clicking poo poo poo poo??? :thunk:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Gentle Autist posted:

iOS is the least bad but reading this thread made me realise just how poo poo the home screen/icon ux is

I haven’t used it for years, I just swipe down and search for apps every time. that’s because it’s poo poo

although, I do this on my desktop with Alfred too. is Apple poo poo, or is clicking poo poo poo poo??? :thunk:

Pixel / stock Android is superior in every way hth

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it doesn’t help as it is obviously ironic and sarcastic

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

putting the search bar on the bottom like that is some :gonk: poo poo imo

the phones are too big to reach it if it's at the top

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

samsungs are also far far better

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

i think that you will find that your os is, in fact, a piece of poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

getting a fairphone 3. not that it seems particularly good, but phones are literally indistinguishable, and i'm going to waste some of my life putting weird os's on it (if the 2 is any guide it'll get a port of pretty much everything).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

did yall know that phones are, unfortunately, bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did yall know that phones are, unfortunately, bad

mine is great

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no op