Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hell Witcher 2 needs a remake since Witcher 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MiddleOne posted:

Witcher 3 is hitting record concurrent player numbers so it's probably not just Netflix fudging numbers. It's a legitimate hit.

Accusing Netflix of faking their numbers because it doesn't match the media consumption in your tiny bubble is the funniest thing, especially when other objective measurements like this support it and people just clutch their tinfoil hats harder. I think considering this very subforum used to have people who were registered Nielsen households openly soliciting for suggestions on what shows to lie about watching to try and boost their numbers I assume it's just people seeing themselves in everyone else.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Grey's Anatomy chat: is Shonda Rimes even stil involved with the show?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Exactly. I don't even think the act objectifying itself necessarily has to be an issue either. It just has to serve a purpose within the setting, story and plot of the day.

On another topic, I think this season of the Witcher might be the first TV-story ever that would have actually benefited from having time-cards pop up. Literal decades pass between some episodes and the show cuts to events taking place at a completely different time haphazardly. For example, the show might go;

Geralt (present) -> Yeneffer (-30 years) -> Cirilla (+42 years) - > Geralt (-12 years) -> Yeneffer (-12 years)

Within the span of no time at all and for me at least it was disorienting at times. I get that they wanted to jam Cirilla in from the very start but a more traditional way of doing it might have been to tell the story linearly and bottle Yeneffers origin, Cirilla be damned. It's not like a ton happens in her segments anyway.

the show is making it really hard to like it. Tried this wknd to watch the first ep multiple times, but my god it is not accessible or fun.

anyvay, this is an interesting article rounding up alot of poo poo this thread already talks about

quote:

But Netflix violates this rule. Despite its claims of accounting profits, Netflix is a massive money-loser, projecting it will burn through $3.5 billion in cash just this year. Netflix is taking inputs and combining them into something that is of less value than those original inputs. But the company doesn’t really care if people watch its content, because it doesn’t sell content. The company is selling a story to Wall Street, that, like Amazon, it will achieve dominant market power. The story is that users will buy Netflix streaming services and it will be too much trouble to switch to a different service, which is a variant of a phenomenon called “lock-in.” So no one will be able to compete, the company will be able to raise prices and lower costs, and voila, another Amazon-style monopoly. It will be one of the few left standing after the inevitable shake-out.

To sell this story to investors, the company is interested only in adding subscribers, resulting in a set of choices whereby it underpays creators, and under-delivers for existing subscribers. And it still burns through money, but it can do so as long as it can sell its debt into the marketplace and its stock remains high. This creates an impossible burden on anyone who wants to make art and sell it in competition with Netflix, be that person an artist or a major studio; it’s simply impossible to compete at making better goods and services if your competitor can lose money indefinitely. Again, artists don’t notice this problem, because they like selling to Netflix. But they will notice, as Netflix’s strategy of underpaying them becomes more obvious.Concentration Creep: Netflix Rebuilds the Studio System

Netflix, aside from losing money, has also slowly reconstructed the old vertically integrated studio system. The company is an integrated production and streaming service; if you want to distribute through Netflix, you work increasingly on Netflix’s terms, and vice versa. And Netflix pushes whatever content it wants at Netflix users, based on whatever algorithm it chooses. This is a similar story as Amazon, which spends large amounts of money on content, with content being a mostly minor part of its otherwise massive business. These are long-term predatory pricing plays, with predatory pricing meaning selling below cost to acquire market power, a practice that used to be illegal prior to the 1980s. Of course, these rules are not absolute; powerful creatives still have leverage, but the broad middle of creators do not.

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/the-slow-death-of-hollywood

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regy Rusty posted:

Y'all ever wonder if Burn Gorman gets tired of always being typecast as utterly reprehensible pieces of poo poo?

You cant expect much more when you look like a frog.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

You cant expect much more when you look like a frog.

He has a line in the expanse where he's like "So I'm the bad guy huh? Guess I've just got that kind of face" and I just fuckin lost it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

why the gently caress would that have a thread lmao

I don't know anyone who made it through season 1 except in a "it was running in the background while I did other things and I have no idea what happened on it" sense.

I didn't dislike the show, myself, that would imply I had any kind of reaction to it besides being bored and constantly distracted from it by more interesting things, like the paint in my living room. Bad at least could have been interesting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He was unpleasant, but not technically a bad guy in Torchwood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

He was unpleasant, but not technically a bad guy in Torchwood.

He did that rape thing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't know anyone who made it through season 1 except in a "it was running in the background while I did other things and I have no idea what happened on it" sense.

I didn't dislike the show, myself, that would imply I had any kind of reaction to it besides being bored and constantly distracted from it by more interesting things, like the paint in my living room. Bad at least could have been interesting.

I think the first season got way more poo poo than it really deserved, especially from goons. It certainly had some issues, but I thought it was generally fairly decent.

I'm not so sure about the 2nd season. I felt like it started off okay and then slowly kept getting worse over the course of the season. And this time it wasn't from a lack of some basic communication between family members like the first season.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Croatoan posted:

I think it definitely has more views than the Mandalorian but only because Netflix has what, like six times subscribers has a Disney+? Sure that's going to change over the next five years but right out of the gate Netflix is still the 800 pound gorilla.
I would like to watch The Mandalorian on Disney+ instead of on my DVR, but Disney+ is dragging their loving balls releasing their service here. I don't care about an user interface and content in my country's languages. Let me in early, you fuckers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rhyno posted:

He did that rape thing.

It's been so long since I watched it, I really couldn't remember all the character stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oasx posted:

Witcher 1 has needed a remake since the release of Witcher 2, the figting style is just not fun.

Before the second game came out they were working on a console version of Witcher 1 but there was some kind of issue with the devs they hired to port it which caused it to be scrapped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

It's been so long since I watched it, I really couldn't remember all the character stuff.

He's a miserable bastard a lot of the time. Then he dies and they bring him back but he's still dead and he's even more miserabler. Owen was a bad character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Croatoan posted:

I think it definitely has more views than the Mandalorian but only because Netflix has what, like six times subscribers has a Disney+? Sure that's going to change over the next five years but right out of the gate Netflix is still the 800 pound gorilla.

If you throw in the filez viewers, Mandalorin has probably been waytched by a billion people or more

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

If you throw in the filez viewers, Mandalorin has probably been waytched by a billion people or more

At least 3 trillion imo. It's a big galaxy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Witcher is good, Mandalorian is good, Baby Yoda is bae.

I have spoken.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finally got to the big fight in the penultimate episode of His Dark Materials and it's so loving bad. I knew it would be but god how do you gently caress it up like that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

Finally got to the big fight in the penultimate episode of His Dark Materials and it's so loving bad. I knew it would be but god how do you gently caress it up like that.

Seems like they blew their wad making perfectly animated bears

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Seems like they blew their wad making perfectly animated bears

Yeah lol

I finished the show and aside from that scene I thought it was a great adaptation. Can't wait to see the Subtle Knife in action next season

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Regy Rusty posted:

Y'all ever wonder if Burn Gorman gets tired of always being typecast as utterly reprehensible pieces of poo poo?

Regy Rusty posted:

He has a line in the expanse where he's like "So I'm the bad guy huh? Guess I've just got that kind of face" and I just fuckin lost it

Came here to post this. :thumbsup:

Regy Rusty posted:

I keep seeing people post this, but having never watched the movie or read the books, I thought it was a great fight between giant, talking polar bears for who would be King of the Talking Polar Bears. :confuoot:

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Was Kidding ever popular on here? I get around to shows well after their release and miss out on the group commentary / love but I'm wrapping up the first season now and its just such a wonderful show.

I totally get how people might not like it - its not "fun" and its awfully in your face in the first episode or two (oh look that ones gay and frustrated and everyone wants to die, suburban ennui, etc) but its incredibly smart and sensitive and has some of the best commentary on marriage and life-long relationships on TV.

Other stuff:
I wonder what percent of Witcher stats (or whatever similar show) is just people running it in the background rather than actually watching it. Its dead boring for the most part but I like the noise in the background and I'll look over if somethings actually happening.

Thanks for constantly pushing The Expanse. Its a little slow and def has that Syfy / low-budget feel to it but its smart and takes a different approach to things!

Joe Pera - Just throwing this rec out there because I have a pretty grim-dark life sometimes and this show was such intentionally innocent fun. Really wish more people would get into it. Second season is starting now.

False fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 31, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Joe Pera Talks With You is just good wholesome TV.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Josh Lyman posted:

Witcher is good, Mandalorian is good, Baby Yoda is bae.

I have spoken.

This is the way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm finally watchin Euphoria

this is so drat good

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I really hate saying this, but I'm having a tough time getting through Expanse Season 4. I loved the first 3 seasons and this is kind of a letdown. I can't put my finger on why but something's...off about it. I haven't read the books so I can't say if it's a problem of the source material or not.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 31, 2019

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Laterite posted:

I really hate saying this, but I'm having a tough time getting through Expanse Season 4. I loved the first 3 seasons and this is kind of a letdown. I can't put my finger on why but something's...off about it. I haven't read the books so I can't say if it's a problem of the source material or not.

The book it's based on is the worst in the series. Imagine every scene with that biologist woman having a running monologue over the top about how horny she is for Holden.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

The book it's based on is the worst in the series. Imagine every scene with that biologist woman having a running monologue over the top about how horny she is for Holden.

I'm on Episode 8 now and a bunch of cool poo poo is finally coming together. Still frustrated that we didn't have more Drummer/Ashford/Johnson throughout the season. I have also enjoyed Bobbie's adventure in the Martian underground.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

False posted:

Was Kidding ever popular on here? I get around to shows well after their release and miss out on the group commentary / love but I'm wrapping up the first season now and its just such a wonderful show.

Joe Pera - Just throwing this rec out there because I have a pretty grim-dark life sometimes and this show was such intentionally innocent fun. Really wish more people would get into it. Second season is starting now.

I watched and liked Kidding!

Also wanted to watch Joe Pera, but wasn't sure where I actually could. Didn't seem like it was ever on demand and didn't show up on Hulu like some adult swim shows do. Is it streaming anywhere now? To be honest I'm fine with pirating things if that's my only option, I guess I just never really thought to try that with this show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

well gently caress i need to find a way to put euphoria on my list

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reach the end?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That finale was :discourse:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my body is a cage was used in two season finales this year and it worked loving perfectly in both

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I keep seeing people post this, but having never watched the movie or read the books, I thought it was a great fight between giant, talking polar bears for who would be King of the Talking Polar Bears. :confuoot:

Well I have two reasons for it. First off is something that wouldn't bother someone who didn't read the book but a big part of the fight and the characterization of the bears is their armor. Armor is an incredibly important thing to them, they even officially call themselves Panzerbjorn - armored bears. The crafting of their personal armor is extremely important to them. I thought the show even did a good job of impressing this upon viewers in Iorek's intro scene. To then have the fight be without armor is mind boggling to me. In the book, one of the reasons Iorek wins is because Iofur has strayed so far from the path of the bears that even his armor is more ostentatious than it is functional.

All that book stuff aside though, I thought the fight itself just lacked impact. Two massive creatures throwing themselves at each other should feel weightier than it did. The animation just came off looking weak to me.

The end of the fight was also less gruesome than in the book but I'm not gonna begrudge them that one considering that the show clearly chose to go relatively light on the violence.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
You Season 2 is probably the wrongest I have ever been about goon opinion. Like I even enjoyed it as an easy guilty pleasure type show, but I'm so surprised you guys liked it. It seemed like every worst instinct of the later seasons of dexter times ten. Finale spoilers: Even directly ripping of Dexter Season 2, of course the dead girl wasn't killed by Joe, it just happens that two serial killers ended up meeting each other, because that makes sense. And looks like next season we're due the can I be a family man and a killer, oops guess I can't thing Dexter did for so long.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inspector 34 posted:

Also wanted to watch Joe Pera, but wasn't sure where I actually could. Didn't seem like it was ever on demand and didn't show up on Hulu like some adult swim shows do. Is it streaming anywhere now? To be honest I'm fine with pirating things if that's my only option, I guess I just never really thought to try that with this show.

It's on the Adult Swim website and app which you don't need a cable login to use.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/joe-pera-talks-with-you

Regy Rusty posted:

The end of the fight was also less gruesome than in the book but I'm not gonna begrudge them that one considering that the show clearly chose to go relatively light on the violence.

An HBO series being tamer than a young adult adventure movie that came out a decade ago isn't a good look, especially when one of the big selling points was that they were finally going to be able to realize the series without the meddling censorship of the puritanical Americans dragging it down. And even without it being totally bloodless and cutting away from the coup de grace, the fight itself is way slower and less impactful despite them going out of their way to not have them wearing armor. It feels like they fell into the trap of trying to make two polar bears fighting look realistic rather than doing something that actually looked interesting so you get two identical looking white bears hugging in the dark while for all the movie's faults you could at least tell the two characters apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3eF0tGWzT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjs5eo4BfI

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sleeveless posted:

An HBO series being tamer than a young adult adventure movie that came out a decade ago isn't a good look

But that's just it, it's not really an HBO series. It's a BBC Series that HBO has international distribution rights to.

The series was always going to be limited by what the BBC allowed for content and what their target demo was.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 31, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The movie even did the jaw rip??? I had no idea, ok there's really no excuse for HBO then.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

It's on the Adult Swim website and app which you don't need a cable login to use.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/joe-pera-talks-with-you

An HBO series being tamer than a young adult adventure movie that came out a decade ago isn't a good look, especially when one of the big selling points was that they were finally going to be able to realize the series without the meddling censorship of the puritanical Americans dragging it down. And even without it being totally bloodless and cutting away from the coup de grace, the fight itself is way slower and less impactful despite them going out of their way to not have them wearing armor. It feels like they fell into the trap of trying to make two polar bears fighting look realistic rather than doing something that actually looked interesting so you get two identical looking white bears hugging in the dark while for all the movie's faults you could at least tell the two characters apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3eF0tGWzT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjs5eo4BfI

The beauty of the new bears is since the first scene they made them have weight. The one thing they didn't gently caress up in this show was how loving good the animals looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I watched two episodes of Euphoria but it makes me too depressed to continue. I would rather rewatch Chernobyl for the 7th time