Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Beasts of Burden is pretty solid in the horror range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Gripweed posted:

Gyo or Uzumaki

Junji Ito's adaptation of Frankentein is pretty damned good as well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Madkal posted:

Beasts of Burden is pretty solid in the horror range.

Yea, and pulling your heartstrings.

A very good comic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Comixology just added a whole ton of DC stuff to their Unlimited service.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Die is so loving good. I thought I was over kieron gillen but MAN this is my favorite comic right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Somberbrero posted:

Black Monday Murders by Hickman. The initial premise is that the stockbrokers who jumped to their death on Black Monday were actually thrown out as human sacrifices to Mammon. Each economic school has its own magical practice, half of the story is the internal power struggles of the Rothschild family and the other half is a detective investigating the fallout from those struggles.

Also Fatale by Brubaker. It's a Cthulhu mythos story that manages to innovate on the universe in a natural and interesting way while also being head and shoulders above most of the genre.

Also Harrow County. It's Chilling Adventures of Sabrina new game+.

Don't tell people to read Cullen Bunn

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I was pleased to see Beta Ray Bill's Hammer in the Collector's stash at Disney's Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ericisajoke/status/1082988501111631872?s=19

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

This just supports the theory that Parker has tiny eyes embedded in his scalp that sense danger for him.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Don't tell people to read Cullen Bunn

Why? I went looking for dumb poo poo he's said and couldn't find anything.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Somberbrero posted:

Why? I went looking for dumb poo poo he's said and couldn't find anything.

I think his most controversial public statement was a twitter thread that was awkwardly vague and non-specific in distancing himself from Comicsgate. To be honest he didn't do a very good job-- he's clear that he doesn't like it but engages in some uncomfortable "well, I'm sure some of them are nice people" business and waffles about naming names. To me it comes off as somewhere between clueless and spineless, rather than outright malicious, but it certainly didn't make him look great. Other than that I think a lot of his comics just have kind of a milquetoast reputation on this forum. Magneto used to be pretty well regarded but the culture here has always approached him with tempered enthusiasm at best as far as I can remember.

Harrow County is nice though. If nothing else Tyler Crook makes it gorgeous.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1083761282526953472?s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's a beautiful soul.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Y'know, I didn't particularly feel strongly about her one way or the other at first, but since the Breakfast Club dance video has come out everything she's done has been amazing and now I'm a superfan who thinks it's a goddamn shame she literally can't run in 2020.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't think of any politicians I like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's literally millions of dead ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hate her now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm fond of the ones who don't think I should die because I'm too poor to go to the doctor.

So AOC and like, a half dozen others.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

Y'know, I didn't particularly feel strongly about her one way or the other at first, but since the Breakfast Club dance video has come out everything she's done has been amazing and now I'm a superfan who thinks it's a goddamn shame she literally can't run in 2020.

I don't think it's particularly useful to immediately try to catapult any politician we like to the presidency. Congress is an important part of the government and the legislative branch is more crucial than the presidency.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

There's literally millions of dead ones.

I suppose I quite like Oliver Cromwell, because he chopped off the king's head and took a hard line against the Catholics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I was implying that the only good one is a dead one but

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Robespierre was also quite good in the king-chopping and anti-Catholic stakes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1083766153170874368

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Back at the start of the month I gave this thread a silly title as a joke, but inspired by posts in the funny panels thread about and around Blackrock, how about leaning into it?

Which examples of characters being introduced to great fanfare or being pushed heavily (whether new or not) and just falling flat do you think are most egregious? In other words, who are the biggest Poochies / the biggest Roman Reignses (Romans Reigns?) in superhero comic books?

Personally I would go for Deathstroke's Identity Crisis/Infinite Crisis era push as the ultimate badass anti-Batman. Deathstroke is a good character but that just didn't work at all for me. Another would be the version of Dr Psycho from the same era (the one Phil Jimenez refused to draw in Infinite Crisis and swapped him out for his George Pérez design because he didn't like the new one) or Dr Light in all those stories where he seems to do nothing but talk about how much he enjoys rape.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Marvel's big Inhumans push from a few years ago springs to mind, regardless of the quality of the books because I know they weren't bad for the most part I don't think anyone believed that the Inhumans were as interesting/important as Marvel wanted us to think they were.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Captain marvel

Deadpool, if falling flat for me personally counts

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Remember when Forerunner was introduced in Countdown and we were told how awesome she was gonna be but she was the opposite of that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Remember when Forerunner was introduced in Countdown and we were told how awesome she was gonna be but she was the opposite of that?

That only happened in the old timeline.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Forerunnu-chan <3

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m the last person to pick on depression era Jeph Loeb, but let’s put Romulus on the board.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m the last person to pick on depression era Jeph Loeb, but let’s put Romulus on the board.

Red Hulk, if we're going that way

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samuringa posted:

Red Hulk, if we're going that way

I know he did it to keep the mystery of "who is the Red Hulk," but turning Gen. Ross into a Hulk and not keeping the mustache is the biggest design misstep in comics.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I know he did it to keep the mystery of "who is the Red Hulk," but turning Gen. Ross into a Hulk and not keeping the mustache is the biggest design misstep in comics.

Thankfully, they fixed that in USAvengers

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Soonmot posted:

Thankfully, they fixed that in USAvengers

But it was a different dude who DID have his mustache.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Dan Slott and his Alpha sidekick for Spidey. It's the next big thing you guys, Honest! Buy everything Aplha!

https://www.wired.com/2012/06/spider-man-alpha/

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

During the mid-00s, I recall DC trying to emphasize how important Donna Troy was with nobody caring whatsoever.

I really like him, but I'm sure people would count the Sentry during the Bendis Avengers era.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Echo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
echooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1083856766453104640?s=19