Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Archyduchess posted:

What I've read of A Walk Through Hell has also largely been free of Ennis' worst tics and pretty canny about the perils of machismo and violence. I've liked it a lot although I'm a bunch of issues behind.

His other Aftershock book, Jimmy's Bastards was one of the worst previews for a book I've read in years. I wouldn't have even looked at it if hadn't been in the back of a series I was already reading but I did and I regretted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

site posted:

He was doing alright until he put this in the latest issue

They do, in fact sit around at times and argue who has the right to be most racist/etc...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Obviously I'm new to drawing and I'm figuring out how to work the art software as I'm going along but man actually trying to make a comic really gives you a new appreciation for the work artists put in, this poo poo takes FOREVER!!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just realized that there's only been, like, four regulars posting in the shipping thread every week for the past few months.
Post your pulls, y'all. It's so much fun!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&pagenumber=60#lastpost

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Somberbrero posted:

Why? I went looking for dumb poo poo he's said and couldn't find anything.

Archyduchess posted:

I think his most controversial public statement was a twitter thread that was awkwardly vague and non-specific in distancing himself from Comicsgate. To be honest he didn't do a very good job-- he's clear that he doesn't like it but engages in some uncomfortable "well, I'm sure some of them are nice people" business and waffles about naming names. To me it comes off as somewhere between clueless and spineless, rather than outright malicious, but it certainly didn't make him look great. Other than that I think a lot of his comics just have kind of a milquetoast reputation on this forum. Magneto used to be pretty well regarded but the culture here has always approached him with tempered enthusiasm at best as far as I can remember.

Harrow County is nice though. If nothing else Tyler Crook makes it gorgeous.

He's a bad writer, that's why

Every so often I hear a pitch for a book from him and go drat maybe it'll be good and I'm never anything but bored to loving tears. The Sixth Gun is like a comic tailor made to hit every single thing I love and I walked away from it utterly dead inside

I am doing my part, in some small way, to stop people from being exposed to more of his thoroughly mediocre at best books

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

His other Aftershock book, Jimmy's Bastards was one of the worst previews for a book I've read in years. I wouldn't have even looked at it if hadn't been in the back of a series I was already reading but I did and I regretted it.

Genuinely could not pin down garths actual stance on anything in that book, like you'd have a whole thing about how bond is a massive piece of poo poo and then professor trigger warning and his micro aggressions show up, it gave me whiplash

Definitely in my bottom tier of his books

Walk Theough Hell is good and the big conversation scene last week felt like characters talking about a thing and not Ennis giving his hot take imo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno, she is clearly His Character and Ennis isn't exactly known for being great on those sorts of issues so it definitely came across like he was speaking through her on that one to me

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remember when Garth wrote that issue where Superman and Tommy Monaghan have a conversation on a roof and Tommy tells Superman that he's the best because he's an immigrant who's decided to be fully American, unlike those Irish and Italian and Mexican and Chinese and all those other immigrants who try to bring their identities over and just cause problems

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Remember when Garth wrote that issue where Superman, when confronted with a man facing a severe existential crisis, hands him a bottle of alcohol and tells him everything will be alright

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

I dunno, she is clearly His Character and Ennis isn't exactly known for being great on those sorts of issues so it definitely came across like he was speaking through her on that one to me

This is where I acknowledge my biases as the Ennis Liker and bow out gracefully

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The run of Wonder Woman where she gave up her powers and became a kung fu spy is very problematic, but the crazy 60s outfits she's always wearing are pretty great. They should've kept that as part of the Wonder Woman mythos after she got her powers back, instead of the old costume she wears a different colorful mod outfit every issue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just realized that there's only been, like, four regulars posting in the shipping thread every week for the past few months.
Post your pulls, y'all. It's so much fun!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617711&pagenumber=60#lastpost

I think I missed a week and realized that I just didn't care.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
A lot of posts in this thread are about LCS going under and people moving towards TPBs or cutting their weeklies so I don't think that thread is going to get a lot of posts anymore...

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the majority of us still buy weeklies but have moved to digital.

Physical comics just end up taking up so much space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only post to remember what I'm buying on Comixology.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just go on previewsworld Wednesday mornings to see what's out that day lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is neat to see what everybody's getting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i only buy like 5 comics a month and most of them come out on different weeks so i'd feel weird just posting what one comic i'm getting that week

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly forget what I’m getting half the time. I also feel weird just posting a list and not talking about it. That thread seems like it needs to be accompanied by commentary to be worthwhile, but also isn’t the place for commentary.

It’s still in my bookmarks and I look at it most weeks though, so please keep it going.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I do just find it useful to remember what to buy.
There are already discussion threads covering everything :shrug:

Nothing to stop anyone who wants to put down some thoughts with their picks, though.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
When I remember to post there it's to remind myself what I'm buying that week but most of the time I just forget.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Samuringa posted:

A lot of posts in this thread are about LCS going under and people moving towards TPBs or cutting their weeklies so I don't think that thread is going to get a lot of posts anymore...

I buy weekly from a LCS. Hell, I have literally five weeks I let accumulate on accident because I loan my brother my card Tuesday night to pick up my pull list and I've been in one of my depression funks where I don't want to do much of anything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well I did move on to another LCS (which ended up being closer to me) so it isn't like I stopped going altogether, though my pull list is shrinking a bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DOWN WITH RETAIL

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yay I'm back to work Monday!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Until trump shits his pants again in 3 weeks

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Yay I'm back to work Monday!

It looks like his base isn't too happy about that so he might change his mind in a few weeks time if his feelings are hurt.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Until trump shits his pants again in 3 weeks

You think it'll take him that long to poo poo his pants? I give it 12 hours.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

You think it'll take him that long to poo poo his pants? I give it 12 hours.

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/st...%3D1977%23pti11

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:negative:

E: I fully expect things to close down again in three weeks, but it still means I get my five weeks of backpay, plus three additional weeks of actually working pay in the meantime, which is good.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 25, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Watch him say he refuses to sign since fox was mean to him

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

Watch him say he refuses to sign since fox was mean to him

Hannity is going along with it, so hopefully he'll sign.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Gail Simone is currently trolling all of Britain on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1088872143419408384?s=19

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1089163802761785350?s=19

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1089270587208302592?s=19

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

I just read through all of it and I haven't laughed that hard in forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1089545026135302144

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

That's cool and all, but what's his microwave setting for tea?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I know the technical reason why, and I don't even drink tea, but discovering that Americans microwave water is still the most deeply unsettling thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not all of us. Hell I still own a kettle just in case someone wants tea.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have never seen a person microwave water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My parents used to microwave water to make coffee(?) until I told them that was hosed up.